Search results

1. gwills

Long drain pipe with no slope

Here is a pic of the bent pipe. I slid a male adapter onto the end of a 24" 1.25 sch 40 PVC pipe (no glue) then clamped the fitting in a vise with the pipe level. A heat gun was used to heat the pipe to 225 degrees. Heat was applied 2-3" away from the connector and kept moving around the...
  2. gwills

Correct, a 1.5" pipe!
  3. gwills

Wayne, The hole through the wall and cabinet is so precise that there is no chance for cross threading. I had to sand the lobes off of the adapter to get it through the hole! I have already tested inserting a pipe with an adapter glued onto the end. I used plenty of pipe sealant and was able...
  4. gwills

Reach4, No. There is no room to heat the pipe when it is in the wall and through the cabinet. I will try to bend it about an inch back from the edge of the fitting. My plan is to glue the adapter onto the pipe then screw it into the elbow until tight. Mark the top of the pipe so that I...
  5. gwills

My plan is to mount the AAV 12" above the trap on a vertical pipe connected to a sanitary tee that is 4" from the P Trap. I agree that there is more margin with the 1.5" pipe but I will be able to slope the 1.25" pipe through the existing hole in the cabinet and wall. Heating the pipe in a...
  6. gwills

James, PVC starts to soften at 250 degrees so boiling water is not hot enough. The trick is to localize the heat and keep the end round. A CPVC fitting can be used to keep the end round because it has a 50 degree higher softening point. A wet rag over a PVC fitting will also work. A heat...
  7. gwills

True and yes, I have a couple of rasps. I will still have to heat the pipe and bend it. I tried to bend a 2' piece of cold 1.5" PVC and it didn't budge. What is wrong with using 1.25" pipe on a bathroom sink? No one will probably ever use the pop up drain, the bowl is small and the water...
  8. gwills

True and I have a complete woodworking shop but I also know that things can go wrong when drilling a big hole with a hole saw. Why take a chance of messing up custom cabinets. Would 4" of 1.5" pipe with no slope be better or worse than using 1.25" pipe with a continuous slope?
  9. gwills

True but I would have to enlarge the hole. Finding all of the 1.25" parts was a challenge but I was able to locate them at Ferguson's.
  10. gwills

Reach4, Correct. There is 2.75" between the inside face of the cabinet and the face of the elbow. James, I could probably get 3/8" over the 36" span but I would have to put the pipe under tension with a pipe strap. There isn't much flex in 36" of sch 40 PVC. Do you really think that I...
  11. gwills

Wayne, Agreed. I have to order the 1.25" fittings from SupplyHouse because none of the DIY stores have the fittings. I feel good that this approach will work. Thanks for helping me work through the options. Gene
  12. gwills

Reach4, Yes. No. On my way to Lowes to get 1.25" pipe and fittings. Since the hole is sized for 1.5", I should have enough room for the slope if I use 1.25" pipe. My plan is to heat up the pipe and give it a little bend. Not too much that I can't screw it into the elbow inside of the wall...
  13. gwills

I guess that even 2" pipe can be bent with a big enough lever! Firing up my heat gun....
  14. gwills

I have worked on the remodel of this bathroom for a year. The walls are covered with T&G nickle gap reclaimed oak fence boards. The 2" galvanized pipe does not have any flex since it is set in concrete. I know because I tried to move it when the wall was open. Cutting open the wall is not a...
  15. gwills

Yep, definitely an elbow then straight down into the slab. I am going to the shop and heating up a piece of 1.25" PVC. That will give me a slope all the way to the vertical pipe.
  16. gwills

I have to be making this harder than it needs to be.
  17. gwills

How do I cock a PVC connection? If the pipe is fully inserted into the male adapter there is no play.
  18. gwills

Wayne, The 1.5" PVC pipe has a male adapter glued to the end in the wall so I can easily unscrew the PVC pipe. It would probably be easier to switch to 1.25" pipe, glue on a male adapter and screw it into the galvanized elbow. How do I get the proper slope without putting a strap on the...
  19. gwills

Reach4, I gutted the room and rebuilt the walls, ceiling and floor so I know for sure that there is no vent. I have a lot of practice heating PVC for conduit so I think that I could do a nice job but I agree it is not a prescribed solution. It is starting to feel like the best approach is to...
  20. gwills

Wayne, I guess that heating the PVC pipe was a "no go"? I understand your recommendation. Thanks again for your help. Gene
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks