Search results

1. SmallSea

Easiest way to deal with a corroded drain at floor slab?

Our house was originally constructed in 1957 with a mix of galvanized and cast iron for drain pipes. In 1970 the previous owner did some remodeling and used copper drain pipes. Now it's our turn to remodel... The photo below shows the drain pipes from our bathrooms and laundry room. We...
  2. SmallSea

Follow-up: how to remove cast iron sink without damaging laminate counter?

I just put an update in my other post - we successfully got the sink out without damaging the counter (except for one small scratch) and we got all our money back for the sink, plus got new drains for free since we couldn't get those out, either. Royal PITA, but the people at M------ were very...
  3. SmallSea

Our brand new cast iron kitchen sink just... self destructed... help!

Yes, I am absolutely 100% sure this is cast iron. It weighed a TON (and just as much as the Kohler sink we bought to replace it with.) It was definitely cheap construction, though. When we felt the underside of the Kohler sink (around the lip of the drains) it felt much smoother where the...
  4. SmallSea

not a bad idea, Mac... except Aqualux doesn't make this sink anymore. It's not at the Big Box, and it's nowhere to be seen on their website. Maybe I'll give them a try, though, and see what they'll offer to do... wouldn't hurt to try and call...
  5. SmallSea

If you're curious or skeptical, I posted the video on youtube... This is a 30-second video taken about 2 minutes after this started happening. The damage began in the rear right corner then went to the rear left corner, where this video is focused.
  6. SmallSea

I posted here yesterday about my bizarre self-destructing sink. Now we need to get that puppy out without damaging our brand new laminate countertop. The cast iron sink is adhered to the laminate counter with a silicone seal; it's a self-rimming drop-in sink. From my online research, our options...
  7. SmallSea

Thanks everyone. I'll let you all know what happens. We bought this from a big box that shall remain nameless for now, and they better take it back. They don't sell this anymore, but still... we need to special-order the Kohler sink from a different big box and it'll take a week to get it...
  8. SmallSea

thanks, I feel better knowing that this wasn't something we did... we didn't think it was, we couldn't imagine what we could've done to cause this, but who knows. We will be taking this back and demanding our money back. We're probably going to have to buy new drains, too, unless we can get...
  9. SmallSea

You're right, I took the photo above when it first started happening. I just took a couple new photos - below. Most of the damage occurred within the first 10-15 minutes, but it's still popping off (we vaccuumed all the pieces, and each time we go back there are new pieces of debris.) The...
  10. SmallSea

No, it's a drop-in sink. There's a silicone seal under the lip of the sink, but that's it - no screws or clamps to torque or anything. Let me get some photos... be right back... OK, here's a photo showing the corner where it started... it started on the upper part of the damaged area, right...
  11. SmallSea

Our kitchen sink just started self destructing... what did we do?!? We're remodeling our kitchen and installed an Aqualux brand Bayou model sink from ******* a couple weeks ago. It's cast iron with a white enamel finish. It's a double bowl sink; one bowl is larger and deeper than the other...
  12. SmallSea

Bathtubs: Vikrell vs Americast vs Acrylic vs ???

Thanks so much for these detailed replies. This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get. :) We are going to go with the Sterling Vikrell tub. My husband didn't think fiberglass would be a good choice but these posts convinced him otherwise. I'll post again after it's installed...
  13. SmallSea

Bathtubs: Vikrell vs Americast vs Acrylic vs ???

Hi. My husband and I have been lurking on this site a while - great advice. We're renovating our 1957 split level home, and are working on the bathroom now. We've succesfully smashed up the nasty old cast iron tub, and are ready to install a new bathtub. Our tub alcove measures 30.625 inches...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks