Search results

1. Amatuer123

Pouring Lead Toilet Flange

Thanks Plumber1. I'm planning on pouring a lead joint w/ oakum, etc., and hope this all works out. The riser will be about a 1/2 inch below the top of the cast iron flange so I'm assuming I'll pour the lead up to the height of the riser and I will reduce any negative effects of the hairline crack.
  2. Amatuer123

Hairline Crack Thanks for the advice Cass. I'm coming to the point where I may become a gongoozler because I don't want to mess this up. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix the crack? I'll do some research and maybe call a plumber. Thanks again, Joe
  3. Amatuer123

Hello, I decided to remove the complete old flange and lead in my concrete basement and have some questions. While hammering the old flange I must have hit the lead? pipe riser and it now has a half inch (from top) hairline crack which is visible on the outside and inside. Don't know if the...
  4. Amatuer123

Removing Cast Iron Flange Concrete Floor

Tilted Toilet Waste Pipe I took a break from the toilet and I'm back to it. I've determined I have a short sweep? pipe so the oatey twist n set is too long and use of a regular oatey "shorter" plastic flange doesn't give the seal I need. I'd prefer to just use an oatey male flange that I can...
  5. Amatuer123

Sweating Multiple Joints Close Together

Oatey Cass, I'll run some water through them tonight; they are not hooked up to the supply yet; yes, oatey 95. Thank's for looking.
  6. Amatuer123

Also...Reheated w/ some Flux 3 times Also...I Reheated for 5 or so seconds w/ some added Flux 3 additional times w/ in approximately 1 minute each time. I did this because the joints didn't look sealed and I added some more solder... but it wasn't adhering that good or moving to the joint. Joe
  7. Amatuer123

Quick question...I've read all the tips on here regarding soldering but need a few on soldering multiple joints that are about an inch apart. I soldered those pictured below one after the other w/ pretty bad results. I basically heated one at a time and then didn't have to heat the next as...
  8. Amatuer123

On second thought I wouldn't want the pipe flush w/ the concrete. Jim, thanks for your insight as well.
  9. Amatuer123

Oatey too High Master Mark, thanks again for the wisdom. So you are saying go w/ the oatey allen wrench flange or just a flange (quick ring) anchored to the concrete? I may cut the cast iron pipe down to make it flush w/ the concrete if that would do. Joe
  10. Amatuer123

Cutting Pipe in Shower Base

Shower Base Thanks Jim. The drain fits around the pipe and the pipe s/be flush w/ the concrete; a rubber seal is then put over the pipe and is also flush w/ concrete; finally a removable strainer is put on the pipe. My concern was getting a level cut which would be level w/ the concrete but...
  11. Amatuer123

Here's a pic.
  12. Amatuer123

Dumb question. I had a plumber over and he enlightened me that my drain pipe was lead and he used a caulking iron to seal it by pounding the lead which sealed around the pipe. I need to now cut it flush w/ the concrete as I didn't get a chance to cut it before he started to seal it. Any idea...
  13. Amatuer123

Found It I found the oatey w/ three allens screws and I'll probably use it. The flange is going to be sitting about 1/8 above the planned ceramic tile right now as the pipe sticks out about 3/8 inches and the tile is about 1/4. Any ideas on the best way to grind it down or cut it down; my...
  14. Amatuer123

Twist n set Gary, good point. Cass and HJ, there is no allen set screw. I checked the oatey site and couldn't find that one. The twist n set has a rubber gasket w/ threading to tighten the fit. Thanks for the input; let me know if you recommend I get the allen set screw. thanks, Joe
  15. Amatuer123

PVC Twist-N-Set Closet Flange Master Plumber, thanks for the great advice. I picked up the PVC Twist-N-Set Closet Flange at the big orange box and it looks like I'll have to take off the lip of the top of the pipe. I assume I just whack it w/ a small sledgehammer or the same and a chisel...
  16. Amatuer123

I have a question regarding my gameplan to remove the cast iron flange. It must have been installed prior to the concrete as the concrete appears to be flush w/ the flange. A plumber recommended chiseling it out and taking out the lead w/ a drill. I started doing this and noticed that this...
  17. Amatuer123

All Elbows

RioHyde, thanks a bunch! I'm learning you can be a little creative w/ this stuff which is great. I'll probably make an access panel on the wall behind the fixture. Why would the dielectric union need to be serviced? Threading weakness, etc.?
  18. Amatuer123

DWV Question Concrete Floor

Plumber 1 – Are you defining the drain fitting at the bottom of the drain (where planned 2†pvc pipe would end) or the top lip? I assume the top lip. So the nipple cutoff enters the iron drain? I’m assuming this is a Male unthreaded nipple and the 2†pvc pipe could enter it? I assume...
  19. Amatuer123

Shower Fixture Installation Question

Cal, It's nice to know that too many twist and turns isn't really a problem and that you can just put together your "puzzle" pretty much the way you want. Thanks! HJ, I took apart the dielectric union and that soldering issue would have created another question for me and I definitely will...
  20. Amatuer123

Shower Fixture Installation Question

Hello, I am installing a shower fixture and I’m trying to ensure I do it properly. Below is a picture. I need to bring the fixture out a bit to accommodate a change in the shower base dimensions. There are galvanized supply pipes coming from the ceiling. I’m attaching a dielectric union...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks