Search results

1. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Sorry, I didn't even see the notifications. I replied.
  2. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

1. Positive? Even though I have replaced it twice in less than 6 months? The one that was in the house before lasted 15 years and it was a Watts N35B which is in a similar price range of the 2 Cash Acme PRVs I replaced it with (EB-45 & EB45DU). I would hate to spend 200.00 on a new valve and...
  3. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Yea, we had about 10 inches last week and 1 or 2 more today but I was able to get to it yesterday. (It sure would be much easier with one of those long t handle tools the water company uses. I just used a couple of wrenches but could have used a couple more inches of arm length to get down in...
  4. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Ok.. let's take this a different direction. What do you think it should cost if I hired a plumber to do the following: 1. Diagnose my noise/vibration problem. (I realize the cost for repairs would vary depending upon the diagnosis.) 2. Replace main shut off valve as discussed previously in...
  5. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

I can and have sweat solder. I don't feel very comfortable doing it and it isn't all that pretty when I get done. I did not do the one in the photo but I do agree, it is ugly. the vertical pipe I connect to is about 8" from the wall so I don't have much room to play with to get that ball...
  6. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

I guess the correct term is globe valve. It has a 3/4 inlet with what I believe to be a union with flared fitting. The outlet is at 90 degrees with female threads going to a 3/4 copper male. I am getting away from the noise/vibration problem, but when I had it apart yesterday, I noticed...
  7. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Just as I suspected, I am now able to once again get the vibration/jackhammer noise while running any faucet at a trickle.
  8. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

I have previously shut off ALL of the small valves around toilets, sinks, refrigerator, dishwasher, etc. and the noise was still present. This ruled out the toilets or other fill valves since no water was getting to them. I guess it could be from any one of the 15 or more valves I have around...
  9. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Yes, it can but the main valve itself has one of those small drain outlets with a brass cap on it which is a couple of feet lower than the extra line. I just used that when I drained it after opening up a couple of other faucets to get the bulk of it. You are probably right though, for the...
  10. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

I put everything back together and still have the noise. It isn't as bad at the moment, but if I play with the PRV settings I can make it come and go. Anything over 45-50 and it is worse than it was before. I have it set now somewhere around 45-50 and it only consistently makes the noise when...
  11. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

Feel free to insult me any time. :D I fully admit that I am no plumber for sure! The washer that was in the faucet was a black rubber and flat. I found that the 1/2" washer at the hardware store was the same size and was a tight fit inside the cup on the end of the stem. Since it was flat...
  12. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

jm66208... I replaced the washer yesterday in the main valve and it didn't help. (I replied with more details in my other post.)
  13. gnrboyd

Noise coming from pipes

jm66208... Thanks for the reply. I pulled the globe valve apart yesterday. The washer screw was tight and the washer didn't appear to be damaged other than it was hard. I replaced it with a 1/2" rubber washer from the hardware store. It had no effect on the noise. I also replaced the...
  14. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

jadnashua, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have hooked up a gauge to my gas water heater drain valve. It reads 50 every time I look at it but the tattle needle shows that it has spiked to 75-80. I have done this a couple of different times for a 24 hour (or more) period and each time have...
  15. gnrboyd

Thermal Expansion

I have a question regarding thermal expansion..... If you have thermal expansion going on in your water lines (no expansion tank), does it immediately dissipate when you turn on a water valve? I am having with vibration/growling noises coming from my pipes. (explained in great detail in...
  16. gnrboyd

Noise coming from pipes

Update.. I had the water company come out and they heard the vibration. They replaced the water meter in the pit in my front yard. That did not solve the problem. They then came in and suggested that I replace the the rubber washer in the main gate/globe valve in my basement. I did that...
  17. gnrboyd

Noise coming from pipes

I tried your suggestion. I found that the vibration is the strongest where the line comes into the house in the basement. My line comes through the foundation wall where there is a gate valve. From the main valve, the line goes up about 2 feet where it runs into a T. One direction on the T...
  18. gnrboyd

Noise coming from pipes

Hello, I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out why my pipes are making noise and any help would be greatly appreciated. Several months ago, I noticed some loud growling noises coming from my water pipes when the water was on. I checked my pressure and found it was too high. (80...
  19. gnrboyd

Toilet Flange Not Level

Unless anyone else chimes in, I think I will just mount it flat and live with it not being level. Thanks for the replys jadnashua and cacher_chic.
  20. gnrboyd

Toilet Flange Not Level

I assume you are meaning that the flange should be bolted to the concrete.?? The flange is sitting on top of the concrete but it is rock solid. I can't move it. I could drill some holes and bolt it in but I don't think that would really change much. As it is, the pipe and flange can't go...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks