Search results

1. gypsydoctor

What are the conditions that cause an exhaust plume from my mod-con boiler?

At the moment I'm seeing a substantial plume. The outdoor temp is 37F and dew point is 4F. Boiler supply is 121F and return is 109F and it's running in condensing mode according to the LCD display. I'm tempted to conclude that the presence of a plume does not mean that the unit is not operating...
  2. gypsydoctor

Since there are primary and secondary loops, wouldn't slowing the secondary loop just let more of the flow of the primary loop get back to the boiler, increasing the return temperature? Aside from the efficiency issue, I find that things are much quieter with the circulator set at Lo speed. At...
  3. gypsydoctor

How does a modulating gas burner adjust the fuel mixture?

My new Burnham Alpine gas boiler uses a variable speed blower to modulate the flame output down to 1% increments. How does it adjust the gas flow to keep the proper fuel/air mixture at all flow rates? An old car does this with a carburetor. A new car has a mass air flow detector feeding a...
  4. gypsydoctor

Thanks, Jim. I had the unit installed in a big hurry because my oil tank sprung a leak at the worst time. Let's just say the planning was not done optimally. I suspect your guess of "too big by a factor of two" is pretty accurate. I changed the "Central Heat Maximum Modulation" from 5500 to...
  5. gypsydoctor

I've just gotten my new Burnham Alpine 150 boiler going in the last few days and I'm trying to get it set up properly. My installer's attitude is pretty much that the standard settings are just fine and I'm happy to experiment with them on my own. I'm in Newton, Mass and my antique house has...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks