Search results

1. Robfitter

Tankless Hot Water Systems Nortiz

Solar preheat Here in Florida, and in Arizona and other places with high insolation levels, there are a lot of solar preheat setups, with attendant gains in energy conservation. The good news here is that the initial outlay is usually reimbursed in the first 10 to 15 years, and maintenance is...
  2. Robfitter

Pipe insulation

condensation Condensation inside walls tends to be a problem here in Florida because of our superior climate. As in hotter and more humid. You can find more ways for structural rot to start here than anywhere else I've ever been, and people here use T111 ply siding on a lot of houses, so...
  3. Robfitter

Cut down sewer cleanout... possible?

Yeah, partly because of inclusions. It would be hard to get that close to the ground, too. I'd use a grinder, myself, it's fast.
  4. Robfitter

Old pipefitter about lead and oakum

Actually, pipefitters did use lead-and-oakum, but then the lines between pipefitters and plumbers got blurred sometimes. Pipefitters used to do all the piping in factories, for example. It's certainly true now that plumbers would be the only ones using lead and oakum, if they still are. Any...
  5. Robfitter

What to use to protect wall from torch flame?

Hillbilly burn blanket I've used an old cookie sheet, but don't tell your wife it was my idea. I'm the cook at my house, and if somebody used one of my sheet pans for that, I'd be a little grumpy. However, I'm also the plumber, so I talked myself out of getting bent out of shape about it...
  6. Robfitter

Cut down sewer cleanout... possible?

If you've got a side grinder with a cutting wheel, I can't see an objection to cutting it off flush; you should also be able to cut it with a soil pipe cutter, though not as close; and lastly, a porta band will cut it, if you can get the blade angle right. The side grinder's easiest, but watch...
  7. Robfitter

Dryer vent code question

Also from the point of view of function, the longer the run of duct is, the more lint build up you'll get. You might have problems with NFPA, on that issue, but the office copy is in another guy's office.
  8. Robfitter

Old pipefitter about lead and oakum

Do contemporary plumbers use lead-and-oakum much? The pipefitters went to no-hub or neoprene, various new technologies back in the '50s, largely for speed reasons, and I did a few joints when I was a pup, but I haven't seen a new one in a while. I understand lead-and-oakum is still code in New...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks