Search results

1. ToddinMaine

Boiler Size vs. Efficiency

In general, and all other things being equal, is a 100,000 btu mod-con firing at 50% power more efficient than a comparable 50,000 btu unit at full power?
  2. ToddinMaine

Can I do this to my modcon?

Our radiant is clip-finned pex suspended under the floor - it heats the airspace beneath the floor so the design temp is 180 deg, a good match for fin-tube. It's a rather common set-up in this area. Plus, we have alot of large double-hungs upstairs, so the space from the window sill-to-floor...
  3. ToddinMaine

Okay, here's the confirmation I needed. I set the boiler's max CH power at 50%. With all zones calling, it took 22 min to bring the supply temp from 140 deg. to 180, then it maintained 180 at 37% power. So. Assuming that 50% power actually means 50K BTU for this boiler (and I intend to call...
  4. ToddinMaine

Okay, that gives me some assurance that the quick 'n dirty heat loss calc. I did for my house, a new 1900 ft cape and -2 deg design temp, coming in at about 27K BTU is in the ballpark. I've put both radiant zones on one t-stat and have set my boiler to 65% max output. My burn times are now...
  5. ToddinMaine

Hmmmm. Good call. My only defense is that for some reason it looks a lot bigger in the photo than it really is. On the other hand, it wouldn't take much to brace it off the HW tank. Thanks for pointing that out. Todd
  6. ToddinMaine

Aside from a min. fire rate of 20KBTU rather than 10, does setting the max boiler output at 50% equal a 50BTU unit? I seem to be doing okay right now with the two 1st floor radiant zones tied together and max output set at 60%. It will throttle back to 10-20% and go continuously until the t-stat...
  7. ToddinMaine

Won't the circ. pump just draw water from the buffer tank until its' water temp drops enough to fire the boiler? Then the boiler's got to bring 30-40 gal. back up to the hi limit? Or am I missing the whole point. As an interim measure, I've tied the two downstairs zones together by running...
  8. ToddinMaine

Posted In Error
  9. ToddinMaine

Man. This thread has been a real crash course in home heating systems, and I truly appreciate everyone's contributions. I've even been credited with thinking like a wet-head, which I think is a good thing. Ironically we jettisoned panel radiators from our plans in favor of the more...
  10. ToddinMaine

I'm considering doing just that. If I've read the Utica literature correctly, the 50 and 100K BTU models are dimensionally identical, so the swap would be easy. The cost of the boiler wasn't broken out of the contract, so I don't have a clue what a modcon with 8000 ignitions on it would be...
  11. ToddinMaine

Thank you, Dana. That's a good deal of information to ponder. Above is my system. The supply and return are 1 1/4" dia. before they drop to 3/4", then the 1/2" pex. With pex, of course, the number of elbows is minimal. If I run my circ pumps on the fastest speed, would you feel good about...
  12. ToddinMaine

I think I see the problem - I've got a 100000 BTU boiler heating a 27000 BTU house! House: 2 story saltbox 1900 sq.ft. built last summer to Energy-Star standards 6" walls, R-50 in attic Unheated full basement. A basic heat load calc. for -2 deg. F design temp comes out to 27000...
  13. ToddinMaine

Got it. It's all about insuring the heat exchanger has adaquate flow through it regardless of what's going on in the secondary loop. So then, is this a classic example of the need for a buffer tank in the primary loop?
  14. ToddinMaine

No, it's not faulting, but simply reaching temp. setpoint, sometimes within 30 seconds and shutting down. I can't judge whether or not the piping is correct (though the house IS warm today - a 12 deg. day), but I do know when I closed that valve, essentially making the entire house the...
  15. ToddinMaine

I'm a homeowner trying to get a handle on my newly installed Utica SSC-100 modcon boiler. It cycles incessantly with short burn cycles. I don't know how to post the diagram, but if anyone cares to look, my system is quite well represented in fig 5.5 on page 14 of the Utica IOM manual here...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks