Search results

1. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

Thanks Dana!
  2. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

I am finally underway with my project! The insulation contractor has asked me about my desire to re-install the fiberglass over the spray foam on the concrete walls. He's concerned that the fiberglass will keep the inside edge of the spray foam cold which would could cause condensation at...
  3. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life... I've gotten several quotes for spray foam. They're all close in price. The one I'm leaning toward is proposing to use 2" of Demilec Heatlok Soy 200. Any thoughts on this product?
  4. Schopsy

Wall Framing and Flooring over Subfloor

Thanks for the quick replies! Dana, I will be using a dehumidifier but I'd rather not depend solely upon it. Therefore, 1" certainly seems like the way to go. I think I'm moving back toward carpet due to WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Jim, that is very interesting that Schluter is is looking...
  5. Schopsy

Dana, Would a thinner insulation (say 3/4") still work under the plywood subfloor?
  6. Schopsy

basement ceiling

diyfun, I had this same idea. This is quite common in newer restaurants and bars. They usually go with a very dark color and paint the ductwork and conduits along with the joists and underside of the roof deck. But those are generally much higher ceilings, lit more carefully and generally...
  7. Schopsy

Dana, regarding the top vapor barrier, is the tile in the bathroom going to be a problem? Would I be better to use cement board rather than plywood in there? Thanks again!
  8. Schopsy

Thanks for the replies. Are there any "non-carpet" flooring options that would be suitable below grade other than carpet? My thought with vinyl was that it would be moisture tolerable, but I've kind of eliminated that line of thought with the plywood in the subfloor stackup.
  9. Schopsy

6 mil vapor barrier, then?
  10. Schopsy

As I mentioned on another thread, I am preparing to finish my basement. I am considering the following subfloor stackup: Existing Concrete Floor Delta FL Vapor Barrier 1" XPS 5/8" Plywood (Tongue and Groove) The finish flooring will, most likely, be vinyl plank in the living areas...
  11. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

Thanks for all the great responses!
  12. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

Dana, Thanks for the detailed replies! I wanted to verify the configurations: Below grade (2x4 studwall set 1/2" inside concrete foundation): 2" thick, 2 lbs closed cell spray foam + 2" thick compressed UNFACED fiberglass batts + gypsum wallboard Above grade (2x6 lookout wall): 2" thick, 2...
  13. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

dlarrivee, Thanks for the replies. But they illustrate my point of confusion. In your first reply, you said spray foam is a good choice. In the second, you've said it won't allow drying to the inside. To be fair, you were answering two different questions, but there's apparently a tipping...
  14. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

Thanks for all of the replies! I have a few follow up questions: 1. Would 2 lbs closed cell spray foam to a thickness of 4" in the bays and 1/2" behind the studs provide sufficient R-value below grade in Zone 6? 2. Would 2 lbs closed cell spray foam to a thickness of 4" in the bays and...
  15. Schopsy

Basement Spray Foam?

I am in the process of planning to finish the basement of my new (~2004) home in western Wisconsin. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and the Building Science Corporation and have learned enough to know that I need to learn more before making this investment. My basement has a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks