Search results

1. DIY_Steve

Contractor mistakes? Wet vent, downsized line?

Hi there, I have a contractor that is updated the DWV piping in my basement as part of a remodel. Where we had a single sink that we used as a sink, dog wash and laundry drain, we are now going to have a dedicated washer box, dog wash, and sink. In the center of the photo is the cleanout for...
  2. DIY_Steve

Cost/Payback of Tankless Gas vs. Heat Pump Electric

I don't mind a little annual maintenance. What is the approximate cost of these flame sensors and flow sensors? Yes Portland is a good laugh sometimes although to this Portander the ratio of good skits seems a bit low. Best ever is the Battlestar Galactica skit IMHO.
  3. DIY_Steve

The heat exchanger is a pretty neat concept, I think it could work here but I'm just not that ambitious on this project. I decided to forego the heat pump water heaters as part of this decision because it was hard to find a contractor that had much if any experience with them, I don't mind...
  4. DIY_Steve

Gas line size for tankless water heater?

Hi There, So I went back to the contractor and asked them some questions and if they were going to guarantee performance. This prompted a more detailed analysis and their plan is now to have the gas company put in a 2 psi meter instead of the current one. Then they would put a 2psi regulator...
  5. DIY_Steve

LOL I'm surprised to see that my thread has become political. I'm just going to avoid talking healthcare on a DIY plumbing forum... So we are still working through this decision. Basically feeling like we want the tankless for the benefits of small footprint and the peace of mind of knowing...
  6. DIY_Steve

Good question, I decided to focus on "green" options that will complement my pex home-run/manifolded system, since there are so many incentives on the heat pump models out here right now its hard to ignore...
  7. DIY_Steve

Yes the heat pump water heater would be located in the garage, so no hidden costs from scavenging the furnace heat. One provider said it would be best to vent the cold air out the back of the garage, whereas the other said it would be better to put it into the attic, which would help cool the...
  8. DIY_Steve

Gas line size for tankless water heater?

Hi All, I am getting a difference of opinion on my gas line size needed for a new tankless gas water heater. Model is a Navien NPE-210A At the location it will be installed I have a 3/4" line which comes off of a 1" line. Further down the 1" line is my furnace. On the 3/4" line is a gas...
  9. DIY_Steve

Hi Everyone, thanks in advance for your help. I'm remodeling my laundry room and have decided to replace my electric water heater as part of the project. I'm deciding between gas tankless and a heat pump electric. I have two quotes for each in hand. Here are the details: Navien NPE-210A...
  10. DIY_Steve

Villeroy & Boch Twist 5C11 01

Hello, I'm looking for a very compact toilet for my very small master bathroom. I want a modern look and concealed trapway. This model seems to be the best option for a 12" rough in. Anyone have any experience with this model? How does it perform? Any other models/brands I should be...
  11. DIY_Steve

How to construct my subfloor for ceramic tile

Hello, I'm hoping some of you with experience with remodeling bathrooms can help me plan how to build my floor system to include a heated floor, ceramic tile, and doorless zero threshold shower with trench drain. I am remodeling a small master bathroom. I removed all the floor and...
  12. DIY_Steve

Which heated floor? Suntouch of Flextherm, or other?

Hello, I'm hoping some of you with experience with remodeling bathrooms can help me plan how to build my floor system to include a heated floor, ceramic tile, and doorless zero threshold shower with trench drain. Does anyone have experience with Suntouch and Flextherm heated floors...
  13. DIY_Steve

DWV Piping Dilemma from Adding wall-mounted toilet on one side of back to back setup

HJ and Terry, Thanks for all your help. I ended up getting a few opinions on this from pro plumbers and the consensus was that the simpler solution would be to go into the basement wall and wye out two seperate lines for the toilets and vent them independently. The closet flange was going to...
  14. DIY_Steve

DWV Piping Dilemma from Adding wall-mounted toilet on one side of back to back setup

Thanks again HJ for all your help. I will definitely get at least 3 quotes always do. I looked at the existing CI pipe and it goes into bell of the drain pipe that runs vertically down into the basement. The seal in the bell appears to be lead and from google it sounds like this is how they...
  15. DIY_Steve

Great thanks again for your input hj I really appreciate it! So I understand on the side inlet fittings why they don't work for a vent, probably why they are named side inlet not top vent after all! So I do understand that the floor toilet which is lined up on the CL of the cross will now have...
  16. DIY_Steve

Hello HJ and thank you so much for your input. See below for a few specific follow on comments/questions. "You are really trying to do something you do not have the experience to do. " You are right about this, thats why I'm on this forum asking questions :-) "1. If it were even...
  17. DIY_Steve

Hello everyone, I'm getting into a remodel of our small master bath in our 5br/3ba home. The master bath is very small so we have decided that a wall mounted toilet would really benefit the small space with the extra room it frees up. We selected a geberit carrier and duravit toilet but...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks