Search results

1. shortcuttomoncton

Can I plumb a toilet like this? What toilet?

Yes, I agree Terry - I think we're going to go with a floor mount rear-outlet such as this one from Signature Hardware. It would have been questionable to have a 2x6 wall and then attempt to exit straight to the other side of it before starting to angle down....
  2. shortcuttomoncton

Yes, we would have to go through the wall and then angle across. Like I said, cannot drop vertically below the floor level until about 30" to the side of the toilet.
  3. shortcuttomoncton

venting through the wall?

Yeah, my sister in law recently did this in Toronto. Straight out, and up and around the eave.
  4. shortcuttomoncton

From the elbow joint, you mean? That's my problem as well - the elbow (and installation) shows it going straight down into the subfloor, between the carrier legs. I would have to go out for about 4 inches (to get around the carrier), and then angle off to the side along the wall. Without...
  5. shortcuttomoncton

Also, Signature Hardware has a number of "European rear-outlet" toilets listed for sale - not sure of the quality, but it's tough to find a bunch of these in one spot. http://www.signaturehardware.com/class1661
  6. shortcuttomoncton

Well I've narrowed down to one wall-hung toilet, the Toto Aquia with in-wall carrier for 2x4 walls: And one rear-outlet, standing toilet, the Happy D. 017009: http://www.duravit.us/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/happy_d.us-en.html/p-92891 Does anyone see any problem with...
  7. shortcuttomoncton

Ahhh okay yes, I see what you mean. Sorry, in my own mind I've gone back to a tank toilet. The problem with the back of the wall is that although I'd be able to box out pipes along the floor, it is going to be a closet with a large closet organizer - so having to make part of the wall 2x6...
  8. shortcuttomoncton

What do you mean "if the tank protrudes likewise into that space"? Do you mean the toilet tank? Why would that have to protrude into the wall? Yeah, me too...which makes sense, it's hard to convey verbally. Yeah that started out as a different drawing - it's actually a freestanding tub going...
  9. shortcuttomoncton

Yep. It's back to a floor-standing, with-tank, rear-outlet toilet. Hopefully I can drain it the way I want.
  10. shortcuttomoncton

Thanks guys. I've spoken to Duravit and their cus. support tells me their wall-hung carriers are available for 2x4 or 2x6 framing, just like Toto.....but their in-wall tanks for the above floor-standing, rear-outlet Starck 2 model is only for a 2x6 wall. Stymied at every turn! :D That...
  11. shortcuttomoncton

That's a great question - I hadn't considered whether the tile weight would be a problem. House is just over 25 feet wide and joists run from the outside wall to the centre load-bearing wall running the length of the house (about 12 foot 7 inches). The bathroom is against the outside wall...
  12. shortcuttomoncton

Haha - gotcha. I've asked Duravit about that toilet - they don't give much info on their page, so I'm trying to figure out it there's a flushometer system involved, or if the tank is merely in-wall similar to a wall-mount. I've got easy water access straight down to the basement. Having...
  13. shortcuttomoncton

Joists currently have an original rough plank subfloor running diagonally across them. We'll likely add a plywood subfloor and tile over that. Rough sketch of view from back: When looking at a toilet like this Duravit Starck 2 for example - it sits on the floor, has no tank (I assume...
  14. shortcuttomoncton

Yes I realized that later - like saying we won 2-5! :D The wall is not load bearing (currently it's one large room that we're dividing with this wall). Do you see any problems with the pipe running through the wall, and along the back of the studs? As it is a closet on the other side...
  15. shortcuttomoncton

Yes, I've looked at the carrier. The bonus with the wall-hung models is that the wall is only studs and the carrier can easily be framed in, and the toilet itself saves a lot of space by not "projecting" so much into the room (as there is no tank). The bathroom is not overly wide (6'10"), so...
  16. shortcuttomoncton

No, the joists measure 2.5 inches wide by 7.75 inches "deep" (again, 100+ years old) - so I should not cut through them to run any sort of pipe. The joists are spaced 16 inches apart. Yes, the idea is that the exit pipe would have to sit on top of the joists (of course at an angle) until it...
  17. shortcuttomoncton

First post, all. A great resource you have here. We're in the planning stages of converting a room in the top floor of a 100-year-old house to a bathroom. As seen in the attached picture, what used to be a brick chimney several decades ago is now a large hole running straight down to the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks