Search results

1. Kent Leigh

Purchasing new softener + GAC - help sizing and general advice?

Hi all, I had someone come out again and run some new tests. Chlorine is at .7 ppm (consistent with my own tests using a pool test dip stick), and hardness at 3 gpg. He ran the hardness test twice! I think the guy who originally did it was a crook, considering he also wanted to sell me a...
  2. Kent Leigh

I'm looking at the Clack valve and besides the apparent ease of maintenance and rebuild, one feature is fairly attractive: dry salt storage. I would imagine this would cut down on salt use by flushing the soft water through the brine well as part of the regen cycle instead of storing the water...
  3. Kent Leigh

Hi Gary, I switched to 12 x 52. For some reason many of the online retailers are selling their kits with 12x48 tanks. On POU, I have 4 shower heads, 4 tubs, ice/refrig and 9 faucets in the house. Protecting my family from 3ppm chlorine across that many POUs...I find that daunting without...
  4. Kent Leigh

Hi Dittohead, just picking up on your last comment regarding service flow rates on the GAC. Today I have assumed a 2 cu ft GAC would meet my needs, but with the chart you provided, that will give me a 6 GPM service flow rate. This should be adequate for normal use, but in the cases where i...
  5. Kent Leigh

Hi Gary, I prefer to keep the valves the same for both for ease of operation and maintenance. Since i'm looking at a carbon unit that's a 12x48" tank, I can't put a 5600 on it. Therefore, I've selected the 7000 for both GAC and softener. Thank you for the help!
  6. Kent Leigh

Considering the 5600 cannot backwash filter media in tank sizes higher than 12" (according to several sources - is this correct), I'm a bit concerned going with 5600 on the softener and 7000 on the GAC. Might as well go 7000 each to keep parts and repair consistent.
  7. Kent Leigh

Any concern with the GAC at 2 cu ft. when sizing for 12 GPM peak flow rate? On the softener, I will rarely exceed max flow rate of 7 GPM. I anticipate in the next 5 years that I'll exceed 7GPM twice a year, and not to exceed 12 GPM at all. Regarding sizing for the house for future buyers...
  8. Kent Leigh

Gary, I had assumed 7000 as i have 1" PEX feeding the current system. Wouldn't i lose more water pressure with a 5600? I just checked the pressure gauge and it reads 75 off the main line. I think i'll have to reconfigure the entire system as I have outside sprinklers being fed after the...
  9. Kent Leigh

Hi Dittohead, I restrict usage today to two showers at a time with no dishwashing or washing machine going on. Don't ask me why (because i really don't know, maybe related to growing up and running out of hot water)! Do i still need to account for the 4 showerheads even though we run only 2 at...
  10. Kent Leigh

Hi again, ran the numbers for a low salt efficiency. At 1.5 cuft or 22k grains, I can regen the resin every 7 days using 5 lbs of salt. That should cut salt costs by 1/3rd saving around $30 a year (at $10 a bag per 40 lbs). Over 15 years, that's $450 savings for a bump in price (from 1 cu ft)...
  11. Kent Leigh

Hi Gary, I estimate my peak flow rate at 7 gpm and total hardness at 14 gpg. Hence, 32k rated/24k actual size for 8 day regen cycles at 8lbs per regen, or under 400 lbs of salt a year @ $100 cost. I am considering sizing max flow on 9.5 gpm peak flow rates (48k rated system, 36k actual) to...
  12. Kent Leigh

Hi, I've been doing a lot of research on this investment and have boiled it down to the following. I would appreciate any help or advice you experts might give, especially on sizing, valve choice and my strategy to treat the water problems I have. Purchase horizon is within the next 7-10 days...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks