Search results

1. Mike F

Old pipes. slightly larger?

I tried using the block, but it is an old tool with a cam style mechanism for holding the pipe. I could not generate enogh force to close the "jaws" around the pipe fully, so thats when I resorted to the clamp. On the cutoff pipe I did not rotate the 90 degrees and it seemed to work okay, but...
  2. Mike F

Tried the flaring tool on a piece of pipe which I had cut out. Worked well, but I had to press the flaring tool jaws closed with a vise. I was not able to close it fully even with very large Channellocks. To make it portable, I did rig up a system where I put the flaring tool inside the jaws...
  3. Mike F

I would say that it is possible that they expanded, but I cut out a section long enogh in one area so that relatively newer pipe was on the other end (previous work done by prior owner) and there was no problem fitting the coupling on that end. I will try the flaring tool suggestion on a...
  4. Mike F

I have to repair some damaged pipes in the garage that froze when winter came upon us overnight this year. The problem is that the 1/2" couplings are too small for the pipe. I am sure that 60 yrs ago the copper was probably .002-.003" bigger in diameter than pipes are now. I have been sanding...
  5. Mike F

Natural gas supply line sizing

There are 5 burners and the "pro sear" which is an infrared burner. Each burner is 14,000 BTU and the infrared is 30,000. According to the chart referred to above, my supply should be adquate, but the feed from the gas meter also supplies the hot water heater, stove and bolier. The grill...
  6. Mike F

Natural gas supply line sizing

I am looking to find any information on how to calculate natural gas supply line size for a recently installed grill. Burners total 100,000BTU. Though I have not checked it, I am told that supply pressure is approx. 7"w.c. The run is about 70ft or so. I presently have a 3/4" supply, which is...
  7. Mike F

Best flux for 95/5 solder in air compressor application

Now that I have decided to solder 3/4" copper lines for my air compressor, I am seeking advice on the most appropriate flux. I will be using 95/5 solder and was wondering if the choice of flux is that important. I have Oatey #5 flux and Oatey #95 tinning flux lying around. Is there any real...
  8. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

You are probably correct. I called Ingersoll-Rand today for some info on impact wrenches. They say that their wrenches are to operate AT 90 psi, so I would need to down-regulate prior to the tool. I was planning on that downregulation being at the point-of-use, however, and not at the...
  9. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

I am planning on the flexible line off the compressor until the hard lines begin. I am looking around for vibration pads. I was told to get as thick as possible, but they seem to be standard around 1" thick rubber sandwiched around cork. I will use wedge anchor bolts into the concrete so the...
  10. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

I have also heard from others over the past day or so who have soldered without any problems. Since the system will only be dealing with pressure rather than temperatures the strength should be adequate. I guess I will find out and report back after all is done ( I am still waiting for...
  11. Mike F

Pre-soldered fitting

I was just at HD today. I saw those fittings and there was no real price difference, but the amount of solder looked really chincy. I'll stick to soldering my own.
  12. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

great info, thanks. Looks like solder it is.
  13. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

Thanks all. I was just out in the garage measuring things up. Earlier today I was at HD to price out both systems. Pretty much equal. I realize, however, that copper would be much easier to work with due to measuring and fitment issues. If I am off by 1" on galvanized I would be stuck, and...
  14. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

The only problem is that I live on a small barrier island in Long Island, which is only 3 blocks wide (= lots!! of humidity) and I was worried about rusting inside the pipes and subsequently the tools.
  15. Mike F

Soldering vs. Brazing

I am setting up a compressed air system in my garage. The max pressure of the compressor is 175 psi. I am planning to run 3/4" type L copper. I have been to the copper.org site and researched the search function here and get conflicting advice. Now, I realize there may be liability issues on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks