Search results

1. Ctreefer

New indirect tank circulator pump running constantly after install

Just had my 30 yo amtrol indirect 50gal tank replaced today with a new 35sl unit. Everytime I go to check on the unit the circulator pump is running. It never did this on the previous unit. Just when it called for heat. Is this normal? Line to and from boiler is hot all the time. Seems odd to...
  2. Ctreefer

Options to replace oil boiler

Located in southern CT. currently have 30+ yo burnham oil boiler with indirect water heater. Looking to get away from oil for some time. No gas at street. 2 60 gal propane tanks for pool heater that hardly gets used because propane is also freakin expensive). Heater tank just sprung a pinhole...
  3. Ctreefer

Best season to have boiler cleaned

I have a 30 year old WM oil fired boiler with an indirect Burnham 40 gallon water heater. In the homes I’ve lived in, I’ve always had the boiler cleaned late fall, but some literature that I’ve read say that if your system has indirect water tank that they suggest having the unit cleaned near...
  4. Ctreefer

Thermostat needs replacing?

Hi, writing this from the office just now so I don't have my specific equipment info, but will add that later tonight when I am home. I have an indirect water tank adjacent to my 1992 Well Mclain boiler (oil fired). I believe the tank is about the same age. We bought the house in 2009. I'm...
  5. Ctreefer

New boiler or new chimney liner.....

Hi all, been awhile since I've roamed about in this forum. My dilemma is this: I've got a 30ish year old oiler boiler (burnham) cast iron oversized and I have a chimney that it's hooked up to that needs to be "relined". The boiler runs well and efficiency according to my service guy is around...
  6. Ctreefer

Pocket doors and air leakage?

So I'm still trying to attack all means of air leakage into the attic space and started to wonder about my pocket doors in the house. We have 3 pocket doors all on interior walls. From what I can tell by their construction that pocket would let warm air get into my wall cavities and then find...
  7. Ctreefer

bathroom vent for fan freezes shut

Hopefully this is the right forum for this. I just recently installed a bathroom fan/light combo in a bathroom that had no venting before. I ran it this morning and peeked outside to see if steam was coming out and the louvers were shut. I went outside and got a pole that would reach and...
  8. Ctreefer

moisture in attic.... help!

Well, I've been slowly insulating my attic space (R30fiberglass unfaced on top of existing R19 kraft faced which is over some felt paper filled with vermiculate or similar) over the past few weeks. Noticed today as I went up for another round of installation that there's mold on the sheathing...
  9. Ctreefer

How to determine what kind can light

I'm getting ready to add another layer of insulation in the attic. I have 3 can lights that were probably installed in the past 10 years but there's no label indicating if I can insulate around them. I've looked up in the attic and removed the baffles to look for any information. Is there a...
  10. Ctreefer

oil boiler conversion to gas

Looking for a little advice on this one. I need to break this question into a couple parts. I hope it doesn't make this confusing but we want to convert our current house to gas heat and our old house that we converted to a rental we'd like to do the same hence the two different scenarios...
  11. Ctreefer

Help with idea for PVC on pool for Winterizing

Sorry, I know this isn't exactly plumbing related to inside a house but I have an issue with my inground pool plumbing when I'm trying to winterize it. We bought this house from someone a few years ago (short sale) and evidently they didn't winterize it well enough which led to a cracked line...
  12. Ctreefer

Opinions on what to do with house with low voltage lighting setup

We bought a split level brick ranch about 3 years ago and one of the interesting aspects of it is this GE low voltage lighting system. There has evidently been some modifications to it over the years but most of the relays/switches still function. There's a relay box in the attic and 2 full...
  13. Ctreefer

Insulating top plate

Well, while I'm thinking of insulating the basement I still need to add another layer to the attic (right now we're at one thickness of Fiberglass in the rafters about R19). I bought rolls and rolls of R30 unfaced over a year ago before the energy credits ended but unfortunately due to a back...
  14. Ctreefer

How to unthread black iron fitting

Hi, what is the typical method for unscrewing a black iron pipe from a fitting? the pipe is 1" threaded coming out of a 1.5"-1" reducer hung from the ceiling in my basement. Will just two pipe wrenches and some heat work or do I need a special tool? thanks
  15. Ctreefer

Backwater valve flow reduction?

I want to install a backwater valve on our footing drain in the basement. We have a groundwater issue and on top of that during high rainfall rates the storm drain where the footing drain empties into can backup into the house. (last year while on vacation we got 6" in the basement after some...
  16. Ctreefer

Monoflo issues in one zone

Hi all, It's my first time posting here and hoping I can get some guidance before I start asking local professionals. I bought a home in CT 3 years ago and am disappointed with the heating in one zone. The last set of baseboard takes till the end of the boiler’s cycle to get warmed up on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks