Search results

1. Ctreefer

New indirect tank circulator pump running constantly after install

Just a follow up. Looks like the new indirect wasn’t compatible with my old aquastat so they had to install a new taco control unit which now controls all my zones.
  2. Ctreefer

Just did. Hoping they come by tomorrow to resolve. Aside from this, really impressed with the new tank versus my 30yo unit. Old unit was very warm to the touch when running while this one is cool to the touch while running 10-15 degrees hotter. I had installed a water tank insulation blanket to...
  3. Ctreefer

Just popped open the thermostat box and it was set to about 145. I tried adjusting downward all the way to 120 and pump continues to run. Install was finished about 6 hours ago. Boiler temp is set to 140lo, 150hi
  4. Ctreefer

Seems based on what it’s doing that the tank is going to heat up to whatever the boiler temp is rather than what the tank thermostat is set at
  5. Ctreefer

Just had my 30 yo amtrol indirect 50gal tank replaced today with a new 35sl unit. Everytime I go to check on the unit the circulator pump is running. It never did this on the previous unit. Just when it called for heat. Is this normal? Line to and from boiler is hot all the time. Seems odd to...
  6. Ctreefer

Options to replace oil boiler

Good question. So two years ago I did use that service to come in and do the negative pressure test along with reviewing improvements I can do to the house. I’ll have to dig for that document but if I recall the number from the fan test showed my house was about average for the age and size of...
  7. Ctreefer

Good question. So two years ago I did use that service to come in and do the negative pressure test along with reviewing improvements I can do to the house. I’ll have to dig for that document but if I recall the number from the fan test showed my house was about average for the age and size of...
  8. Ctreefer

Located in southern CT. currently have 30+ yo burnham oil boiler with indirect water heater. Looking to get away from oil for some time. No gas at street. 2 60 gal propane tanks for pool heater that hardly gets used because propane is also freakin expensive). Heater tank just sprung a pinhole...
  9. Ctreefer

Best season to have boiler cleaned

I have a 30 year old WM oil fired boiler with an indirect Burnham 40 gallon water heater. In the homes I’ve lived in, I’ve always had the boiler cleaned late fall, but some literature that I’ve read say that if your system has indirect water tank that they suggest having the unit cleaned near...
  10. Ctreefer

Need to replace single stage oil boiler...options and thoughts?

thanks for the response. my tile liner was pretty well falling apart. Lot's of chunks falling into the cleanout so each time the boiler was serviced they'd shovel some out. For "efficient" new boilers, it's my understanding that due to lower venting temperatures of exhaust gas, condensation...
  11. Ctreefer

Need to replace single stage oil boiler...options and thoughts?

Just curious if you made a decision. I also live in CT and am dealing with a heating system of similar age ('92) using oil with no NG available. I similarly also had to replace my liner that I'd been putting off for some time when i was contemplating what to do last year. In the end, I just...
  12. Ctreefer

Thermostat needs replacing?

Yes, I was thinking the same. Although not necessarily the heat pump option. Electricity in CT is close to highest in the nation and provider is asking for a 5% hike and that’s just for distribution. Generation rates at year end right now are looking like 16 cents kwhr. That would add up to...
  13. Ctreefer

Good question. I don't recall if this has a mixing valve. I'll check when I get home
  14. Ctreefer

Yes, there's an aquastat running the circulator. I do have the settings on the lower side (135lo/150hi) during non winter season to keep the boiler from unnecessarily heating the boiler so hot during off season to save some $$. I have never descaled the tank since we've been there. I had...
  15. Ctreefer

Hi, writing this from the office just now so I don't have my specific equipment info, but will add that later tonight when I am home. I have an indirect water tank adjacent to my 1992 Well Mclain boiler (oil fired). I believe the tank is about the same age. We bought the house in 2009. I'm...
  16. Ctreefer

New boiler or new chimney liner.....

Dana, thanks for responding. I have mixed feelings about heat pumps for this area and house. Electric rates in CT are third highest in the nation at about 23 cents per kw hour. Not to mention the rates are 50 percent more than they were 10 years ago so I don’t have a good feeling about those...
  17. Ctreefer

Still trying to get that pic. They routed the electrical right over the plate that provides all the details and witht the lighting I can’t get a good image on what’s behind the conduit. What details are you looking for and I’ll try and find it.
  18. Ctreefer

I found an old post of mine here and Dana at the time offered a good estimate of BTUs I’d need in our area based on how many gallons of oil and wood we use each year. His estimate was 40,000 BTUs would meet the need. Right now it’s 185,000. Just curious what others would do in my situation. Thx
  19. Ctreefer

sorry for the confusion. Not a wood boiler. Wood stove for additional heat source. I’d say when it’s 15-25 degrees out the boiler runs every 15-20 minutes for about 5 minutes. That’s a big guess though. It’s never run continuously. Not even close. Even if it’s below zero out. I have the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks