Search results

1. gvladybug

Replacement for baseboard heater

Thanks for all the detailed info. As a novice I just think about ascetics and utilization costs as electricity costs are high there so the shorter the run cycle and the longer between cycles seems in my mind to be optimal. I had thought since the air is so dry in the mountains that the fan...
  2. gvladybug

1. How big IS that window, really? --- it is a 24x24 - this is not a low E fancy window and is really a cheaper window https://www.lowes.com/pd/ThermaStar-by-Pella-Left-Operable-Vinyl-New-Construction-White-Exterior-Sliding-Window-Rough-Opening-24-in-x-24-in-Actual-23-5-in-x-23-5-in/3119739 2...
  3. gvladybug

This is for a cabin in Colorado at 8600 ft elevation where we shut the cabin down November - April and have no heat or water. We have gutted our basement bathroom that is 5X7 in size. It had one 4' long baseboard heater with a wall thermostat. As part of the remodeling we have enlarged the...
  4. gvladybug

Cabin bath remodel

We are gutting our basement bathroom in our Colorado cabin and as part of that removing the set-in fiberglass shower. We want to better utilize the space and put a 2'6" x 5' shower in with custom shower pan so we can tile the shower floor. I am looking at shower drains and see all different...
  5. gvladybug

Ikea Talleviken sink in custom cabinet

Thanks, we ended up buying the HAMNVIKEN sink today. But I won't use the p-trap and plumbing Ikea provided. I've heard they are cheap and not decent quality as compared to PVC you can buy at the local box store. Now that we have the sink we can start building the vanity. I am using "Shanty 2...
  6. gvladybug

Ikea Talleviken sink in custom cabinet

We are looking at using the Ikea Talleviken sink for the top of a custom built vanity. I am not planning on using the Ikea faucet as I have purchased a DELTA Linden Single Hole Single-Handle Bathroom Faucet in Venetian Bronze. Since I have no cabinet constraints such as drawers to work around...
  7. gvladybug

Fixtures for cabin with no heat

Thanks I did call Delta - they were helpful in the fact that I could remove the hose, but not very helpful in the fact they recommended removing the valve for winterization. That seems extreme as we don't have to do it now using an 1980s Delta shower faucet. We are going to gut the bathroom and...
  8. gvladybug

Replacing wall furnace

Dana -- Thank you so much! I will review your suggestions and see what will work best for the situation! We plan on keeping the place about another year maybe year and a half. Just enough time to get the last kid off and on his own! It's not worth the hassles of renting if we only have one...
  9. gvladybug

And would opening the shower and blowing air through the lines solve the water down to the shower valve?
  10. gvladybug

Terry - that means I would put a tub spout down low to the shower floor so I could drain the water from the pipe to the valve -- correct?
  11. gvladybug

Replacing wall furnace

Thanks Dana! This is a college house that is about 1 block from campus in Stillwater, OK (Oklahoma State Univ.) where our son goes to school. It does get cold there on a regular basis so a heat pump doesn't suffice. We actually have a mini-split for the AC in that room that has a heat pump...
  12. gvladybug

Thanks! I totally didn't think of just unscrewing the hose and leaving it dangling down to the drain. Sometimes it is the simplest things -- and I'm an over-thinker!
  13. gvladybug

We want to remodel the bathroom in our cabin at 8600 ft elevation in Colorado. In the winter we winterize the plumbing and shut off the heat. We shutoff the water, shut off electricity at the breakers, drain the hot water heater, put RV antifreeze in the traps of the shower, toilet tank/bowl...
  14. gvladybug

Replacing wall furnace

We have a house that my son lives in while attending college, built in 1949, that has a 25000 btu natural gas wall furnace for heating the room above the garage (it's about 400-600 sq ft total). I'm not sure if the heater is original to the age of the house or not. We are not sure the room...
  15. gvladybug

Vacation home hot water heater ?

One more question that has came up: Do we need to leave an upstairs hot water knob 'on' until the tank is full for sure. The concern is that air pressure may build in the tank, preventing it from filling completely with water (just a theory). What do you guys think?
  16. gvladybug

We have a caretaker currently.
  17. gvladybug

Thank you all. I appreciate the information and look forward to the utility cost savings.
  18. gvladybug

Definitely -- we try to wait a significantly long time prior to turning anything on. My goal here is to reduce our electricity bill while the cabin is not being used. Winter shutdown we turn off and drain the hot water heater. But for those times where it might be a month or two weeks between...
  19. gvladybug

I have a cabin in southern Colorado at about 8600ft. We use the cabin sporadically during the summer and fall. We are looking to reduce our utility costs. We have a 2012 GE Electric 50 gallon hot water heater. When we shut the cabin down in the winter we will shut off the water at the main...
  20. gvladybug

Rent House toilet

Thanks Terry. This is a SMALL rural college town and there are two plumbing supply companies that service the area. I took your suggestion and called them. One doesn't do Toto and the other was MUCH MUCH higher than what I can find online. So far I have ordered 5 toilets online (3 separate...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks