Search results

1. MikeQ

Should I stop water heater maintenance?

No, you can choose to believe what you want but studies show that solar panels that come with the sale add significant value to the home. I don't know why anyone would take issue with that because solar panels are well known to dramatically reduce (or even eliminate) electrical bills. People...
  2. MikeQ

Anyone Own a Heat Pump Water Heater

Yeah, I doubt heat recovery drainpipes are very popular on the Gulf Coast, LOL! One early company in this market was started when the Canadian future founder noticed the area above his septic tank was the only area of his lawn that was green all winter long. He knew there was heat there to be...
  3. MikeQ

True, that particular house is not a natural candidate for rooftop solar. It's certainly not a typical roof. I was responding to Dana's general claim that air sealing is the only energy upgrade that has a payback period of 5 years. I was simply pointing out it depends upon where one lives. I...
  4. MikeQ

True, in many areas it takes longer than 5 years. That's why I said "depending upon what area you live". Duh! The only way to to determine if rooftop solar adds value (on average) is to do a study. And a number of them have already been done. Google it. Homes with rooftop solar sell for more...
  5. MikeQ

Anyone Own a Heat Pump Water Heater

Good point on the effective capacity increase of the water heater when using a heat recovery drain pipe! Also on the thermal mass of the basement. Another factor in favor of the basement heat pump water heater is the drier air in the basement will make the basement feel more comfortable even if...
  6. MikeQ

Rooftop solar has become so inexpensive, it can payback in 5 years, depending upon which area of the country you live in. It also adds considerable resale value to the home because you can actually see it (unlike insulation, air sealing, etc.).
  7. MikeQ

No Love for Hybrid Water Heaters...

Yeah, they are pretty nice in the money savings department and the cool, dry air they put off can be either a blessing or a curse depending upon where it is located. The heat-pump water heater in our Kauai condo kept the water heater closet deliciously cool all year even though it had a louvered...
  8. MikeQ

Mixing Valves - How effective are they?

Back in the day it was common to set water heaters to 150-160 degrees. This helped prevent the tank from running out of hot water during periods of high usage and provided hotter water to the furthest reaches of the system more quickly (considering the initial cooling that happens in a long run...
  9. MikeQ

Copper to PEX for electric water heater connections

That link is dead but I found it here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/9556B6A8-9D6D-45FD-98B2-E774DC35C840.pdf On page 8, Rheem recommends a flexible water connection "such as PEX" for both the hot and cold connections. The diagram shows the flexible connection extending...
  10. MikeQ

2 minutes to get hot water to kitchen sink

It looks like your hot and cold water run side by side in the same manifold? That doesn't help getting speedy hot water to the tap due to heat transfer between the h and c. And the lines are not insulated?
  11. MikeQ

Finishing up a Kerdi shower questions

The political talk wasn't in the DIY forum. It was in the Sandbox forum designed for such things. Those expressing conservative views were encouraged, not banned. The shower floor still does not reach as high of a temperature as the rest of the bathroom floor even after extended heating. The...
  12. MikeQ

OK, I'm reporting back after over 1 1/2 years of happy, steamy showering. I really like the thermostatic shower valve. I have it adjusted so the water is at my preferred temperature (about 112F) when the temperature controller is up against the high temp safety stop. I can still go hotter by...
  13. MikeQ

240V water heater run on 120V

My experience with electric on demand water has been very good after about three years. I replaced a standard tank water heater because I needed the extra space and the tank would run cold if too many people wanted to shower consecutively. It was only good for 3 showers because the incoming...
  14. MikeQ

240V water heater run on 120V

Have him check the screw terminals for the main power feed to the distribution panel. Over time a thin layer of oxidation can form and reduce the ability of large amounts of electricity to pass, like a little kink in a garden hose. Sometimes just tightening up the screw connections is enough.
  15. MikeQ

PEX connection question

Therefore in order to transition from Brand A to Brand B PEX while remaining in compliance it is necessary to transition to copper in between A and B?
  16. MikeQ

How can I avoid a leak from hidden flexible Handheld showerhead hose in a tub?

You could put a leak detector siren under there. I would think most tenants would learn very quickly.
  17. MikeQ

What is this loop under my kitchen sink? RO Feed to Fridge?

No, that's a plumber's grab handle, installed to make it easier for the plumber to position his body for those difficult under-sink repairs. And with it's textured grip surface, one of the more deluxe ones I've seen.
  18. MikeQ

Looks like I really screwed up royally. I had no idea this was so common! Sad. All that hard work down the drain. :(
  19. MikeQ

For future reference, the bi-fold added considerable cost/installation time compared to a swinging door. Typically, they are installed to open inwards in order to eliminate door drippage on the floor, post-shower. I obviously didn't have room to do that but my floor has a membrane extending up...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks