Search results

1. MagKarl

3 Systems Quoted - Need some help getting best choice!

I have similar water to you, iron, likely some slime causing bacteria, relatively low hardness, and hydrogen sulfide. I started with softener. That cured a good bit of the odor and took care of the staining, but still had the swampy smell. Then I added catalytic carbon. That made it pretty...
  2. MagKarl

H2S, carbon and air input needed

What kind of chlorine levels should I be targeting? I finally got my system up and running this weekend and appears to be working great. My carbon was salvageable after sanitizing it's removing the chlorine fine. I finally got my chlorine test kit and I'm seeing about 1.4ppm total and 0.25ppm...
  3. MagKarl

Problem History & Questions About Iron Filter/Softener Setup

Retention tank guideline is 20 minutes contact time. I bought a 120 gal tank, but don't have it all plumbed in yet.
  4. MagKarl

Problem History & Questions About Iron Filter/Softener Setup

My first thought is with 2ppm iron and no retention/settling tank, that "dirt" you are seeing may be oxidized iron. I'm working on a chlorine injection system of my own but from what I understand, you need a retention tank after the injection point, and you have to purge the oxidized iron...
  5. MagKarl

Yes I'll reorder the tanks. The order will be pressure tank, particulate filter, chlorine injection, retention, carbon, softener.
  6. MagKarl

I forgot to ask what type of chlorine testing equipment is recommended in order to check total and free chlorine levels.
  7. MagKarl

I ordered a Stenner pump, solution tank, pcm, flow meter, and a Wellmate 120 gal retention tank. Also ordered 2cf of carbon and some gravel so that I'm ready when my carbon is used up. Big spending day in my world, but I should be ready for anything now.
  8. MagKarl

I found this video of a chemilizer, I think this may be a bit too noisy for my garage. Dittohead, is this typical? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZOtelSJv8 yes I'll get a fiberglass tank, mainly interested in any pros/cons to the different versions like top/bottom in/out of Clack and...
  9. MagKarl

I decided to attempt sanitizing the carbon to see if that made an improvement and it did. Not 100%, but better. Also checked one of the toilet tanks and found a thin layer of clear slime, so I'm pretty sure that bacterial growth is either partly responsible for the taste/odor and/or clogging...
  10. MagKarl

Certainly a valid concern Mikey, and exactly what I'm hoping to figure out. I'd much rather add a chlorination stage than replace the carbon every 6 months, I need the right long term solution.
  11. MagKarl

So after 6 or so months of use, we're starting to get a little bit of swampy smell/taste to our water again. I need some help with suggestions on what I can do to determine the cause. To recap, my system is a cartridge particulate filter, followed by a 1.5cf softener treating ~7grains...
  12. MagKarl

So after 6 or so months of use, we're starting to get a little bit of swampy smell/taste to our water again. I need some help with suggestions on what I can do to determine the cause. To recap, my system is a cartridge particulate filter, followed by a 1.5cf softener treating ~7grains hardness...
  13. MagKarl

Cheapest way to get reliable water test for hardness and iron?

I bought a Hach 95A test kit that does hardness and iron for about $60.
  14. MagKarl

Water Softener Settings & Salt/Brine Grid Question.

Thank you DH for taking the time to post so much useful information. I'm in the same boat as these guys, I sweat the details. I'm an engineer, it's not my fault, I was just born this way. When discussing resin life, is there a rule of thumb such as a general number of cycles the resin is...
  15. MagKarl

Iron and Hardness test kit suggestions

I need a test kit for iron and hardness. Hach seems to be recommended for hardness. They sell some iron and hardness kits, but I don't know what I'm looking at yet. What's the difference between cube and color wheel kits? HA-77 and HA-95A look like good prospects.
  16. MagKarl

Fleck 7000 questions

Well, as someone who lives the DIY lifestyle in every possible way, I want to say that I rather enjoy the debate most of the time. For someone searching for info, experience, and opinions, you almost always get it from both ends and not a one sided assessment. I appreciate your taking the...
  17. MagKarl

Thanks for your input DH. The carbon is downstream of a sediment filter and my softener, so should not see sediment unless the softener malfunctions and starts passing resin.
  18. MagKarl

I would appreciate some input on backwash/rapid rinse duration and frequency. Right now the BW and RR are 10 minutes each, 3 day cycle. Treating softened water primarily for mild H2S with 2cf of Centaur.
  19. MagKarl

I plumbed in my new carbon filter yesterday and it seems to be working great. Nothing to taste or smell at all now.
  20. MagKarl

how much carbon in 10 X 54 tank?

My 1.5cf softener is a 10x54. My 2cf carbon tank is a 12x48. You need some freeboard so you can backwash effectively. You may lose some media if you put 2cf in a 10x54.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks