Search results

1. WJcandee

Ghislaine Maxwell a TOTO Fan?

I was reading about the arrest of pimp-to-the-pedophile Ghislaine Maxwell today, and I noticed that she had chosen what the Daily Sun in Britain called a "fake name" to conceal her identity while hiding out in the U.S. The name: "G-Max". My favorite TOTO flush system. Given that she's now...
  2. WJcandee

SLOAN Porcelain Fixtures and Caroma sinks

While at Disney World in Florida, I noticed the wide assortment of plumbing fixture brands in the restrooms, which I assume vary because the low-bid qualifying fixture probably gets selected at the time of construction of the specific attraction or area, and the parks (and facilities in the...
  3. WJcandee

Neorest in the WSJ

I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal today called "The Top 10 Upgrades To Sell Your Home For Top Dollar". (I would put the link but it requires a subscription; however, if you google the article name, you can read it for free from Google.) One of the top suggestions was the...
  4. WJcandee

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! Terry, I hope that you and your family have a joyous 2018. I wish the same to all of the members of this forum. All of you have made this such an extraordinarily-helpful place on the Internet. The expertise is unsurpassed, and the time and effort that folks contribute just...
  5. WJcandee

Purging In-Wall SunRad Radiator

This is maybe for the HVAC forum, but essentially it's a plumbing question. I also wanted to get the broadest input possible. My question relates to how to accomplish a radiator replacement with minimal destruction to the room but to retain maximum functionality of the hydronic heating system...
  6. WJcandee

California Lake Overflow Riser

Quite beautiful, actually. It's the overflow. Tapers towards the bottom. Avoids the erosion problems of a traditional spillway.
  7. WJcandee

Kohler Memoirs Clogs During Hamptons Debauchery

Short story: Douchebag 31-year-old hedge funder rents a 14-bedroom, $20 million Hamptons mansion for the weekend, allegedly to hold a 50-person fundraiser for a pet rescue organization. Actually holds a 1000-person blowout, and destroys the place. His boss is a friend of the owner. Owner's...
  8. WJcandee

Replaced Fill Valve on AS "Galleria" Toilet

A-S Galleria Toilet, Model 2014.013 So I came back to the city from Long Island and heard the persnickety AS "Galleria" toilet in my NY apartment ghost-flushing. Left it a while because I had a few things to do, and finally my brain said, "Go fix the thing." I figured it was just that the...
  9. WJcandee

DIal-Ese Shower Faucet Slowly Closing Itself

A few months ago, my favorite local plumber put new guts in the 1950s-era Crane Dial-Ese shower faucet in one of our bathrooms. It was interesting to see the design of the thing, as it seemed modern/unusual for its era, and it works somewhat differently in that the handle moves a little towards...
  10. WJcandee

Oh nO, ItS CeFiONtect!

The idiotic CeFiONtect abbreviation (for "Ceramic Fine Ion Technology", with a leftover "T") is apparently now going to be used in the US. It's what Toto has called, in the rest of the world, for a decade, what we call CEFIONTECT. Somebody at Headquarters apparently decided they didn't want to...
  11. WJcandee

California Drought Emergency: Time for Toto 1Gs to Shine?

Reading about the drought emergency in California, which apparently the government has decided won't go away by wishful thinking, I am thinking how Toto makes the best-performing (only well-performing?) 1G toilets out there. I'm wondering if the new state program to replace old toilets...
  12. WJcandee

Boller and Circulating Pump Recommendations

A client recently purchased a home with a 24-zone hydronic heat system. Furnace has 20 old-timey Bell & Gossett circulating pumps of varying age running off a 175 KBtu Weil-McLain rear-vented oil-fired boiler that looks to be 25-ish years old. (This boiler is for heat only; domestic hot water...
  13. WJcandee

Yep...Don't Solder too close to the wall...

The other day, Terry advised a DIY-er as follows: "Since you are not a plumber, do not solder anything close to that wall. Use a compression fitting." I was thinking of that advice while watching this gigantic fire across the river in Edgewater last night, apparently (but not certainly)...
  14. WJcandee

Delta Toilets with FlushIQ

So, just in time for Christmas, Delta has started advertising its FlushIQ toilets on TV. The original model, the Brevard, is basically a Delta Prelude with an extra $120 of gizmos in the tank to allow a touchless flush and then some. To look at the diagrams, it certainly doesn't fit with the...
  15. WJcandee

Korky MaxPerformance Toilet Plunger

Korky has a new toilet plunger out, with a soft, different-shaped, bulbous head that is designed to form a seal against more-oddly-shaped bowl holes -- like the keyhole-shaped ones in my Toto Drakes. I rarely need to plunge the Drakes, but occasionally when someone really goes to town with the...
  16. WJcandee

Amazing Last-Resort Stain Remover on Porcelain

I just today found this product, called Pumie, which is basically a pumice stone on a plastic handle. I was trying to remove an intractable stain/ring on a 40 year old toilet bowl. I had rehabbed the rest of the toilet, but nothing would get this ring off. Not toilet bowl cleaner, not bleach...
  17. WJcandee

AS To Offer Bidet Toilet

According to today's Wall Street Journal, American Standard will be offering a bidet toilet. Since it is owned by Lixil, which also owns Inax, the CEO has said that introducing the product under a familiar brand should start converting Americans. The article says that Toto invented the bidet...
  18. WJcandee

Russian Plumbing

Terry often comments on the plumbing that he has seen in his travels around the world, so I thought I would share this item from the news today. Russia is plainly capable of great engineering feats, as its aerospace and mining ndustries, for example, illustrate. However, I'm wondering about...
  19. WJcandee

Another Way Copper Is Superior To PEX

It's cold enough here in NY that for the first time in memory a cold water pipe froze that runs through the unheated garage to the apartment above. The apartment has its own little hot water heater, so only cold comes over from the main house. The copper pipe runs in a chase next to hydronic...
  20. WJcandee

New TOTO Connelly and ECO Drake and Ultramax II 1G

Well, it looks like Toto is coming out with (but has not yet shipped) three new designs. (As with the original 1G, the stuff gets announced months before it is actually available.) CST494CEMFG A brand-new "Connelly" toilet, which will be "Dual-Max Cyclone" (.9 and 1.28) like the Maris...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks