Search results

1. OldPete

New posters who cut and run

It is hard to say. Being a DIYer some people who reply can be very condescending while others are more than helpful. I'd like to see if the cut and runners are the ones who are assaulted by the "better hire a pro" routine verses the folks who are willing to try and help the person. The rule...
  2. OldPete

PEX in salty environment

Just got off the phone with my Uponor rep. Question: If you have a job where you have to make a connection to a water supply line, and this connection is on occasion flooded with salt water (crawl space that occasionally, say 6 times a year or more) gets flooded with salt water would you...
  3. OldPete

Water service line from street...

I don't know about the fitting name, but I *do* know that the power is NOT suppose to grounded on the water main when the main isn't metal!!! It is suppose to be on a rod/acorn set-up. That much I *do* know. Now... back to figuring out what I got. :)
  4. OldPete

Water service line from street...

I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options? It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip...
  5. OldPete

Great way to clean cast iron sewer lines and more

And what if it is done without a broker/realtor?
  6. OldPete

Got to love it when a person attacks the person, not the topic, eh. (By the way, most of the things that you think you can't get a discount can be discounted via different public and private agencies -- from housing, to food, and beyond.) As to the next-to-last line in your reply, I have...
  7. OldPete

Morality is relative. Do I think what the original poster is doing is "right"? No. However, Due diligence on the part of the buyer could remedy his lack of ethics. On the other hand, if you're tradesperson, oh, say, I don't know --- a plumber, and you go to an old woman's house that you...
  8. OldPete

PEX Pictures

Grumpy, It's an older Baxi Luna -- the Combi -- the gas bill is much improved, by about 1/2 I would say -- It isn't a condensing model (but I wish it was). Next week I have to do an annual on it (clean and flush, etc.). I've had it in service for 3 winters now and each one has been great! :)
  9. OldPete

PEX Pictures

Fair enough... :) I also agree with the fittings issue. I think the crimp style shouldn't be out-lawed. They simply aren't going to hold up IMHO. The expansion method is good, but the APR method is best (where the brass sleeve comes up and over the expansion. I ended up going with the...
  10. OldPete

PEX Pictures

For the record, Pex has been used in Europe for decades before it became more popular here. Wall hung boilers and water heaters have also... it isn't "new" technology -- just new to this country.
  11. OldPete

PEX Pictures

Terry, thank you for clearing that up. I often question if I should ask things here because I find the resident "plumbers" to take a "You're only a DIY/Weekend Warrior LOL" attitude. Thanks again for clearing that up. :) Pete
  12. OldPete

PEX Pictures

I didn't know this was a Plumbers-only forum. I guess DIYers shouldn't ask advice here then? :mad:
  13. OldPete

Kohler Cimarron toilet review, Owner comments and pictures

I'll throw my own little "review" into this mix. I bought the Cimmeron about a year ago -- as part of a bath renovation. I finally installed it about 3 weeks ago. I have used it a total of about 8 times. (8 times for "solid" waste :D) -- In a most gentle way I can say that I am the...
  14. OldPete

Pex brand question(s)...difficult decision

I feel that, based on my limited Lowe's PEX experience, that their Zurn is total trash. I would stay away from it unless you needed some kind of temporary plumbing during a natural disaster or something. I would go with Wirsbo (Uponor) ProPex -- as my second choice. The EverLoc by Rehau is...
  15. OldPete

Electrically Actuated Full Port Brass Ball Valve 3/4"

Isn't a lawn sprinkler: A) A solenoid valve? And thus normally closed and requires power to keep it open? B) Is it allowed for potable water?
  16. OldPete

Yes!!! Now we're talking! Ya think that brand/type is good for the following application: Whole house water shut-off with remote switch. The unit would be in the crawl space, up in the joist bay. The house is located on the water in a salt-coastal community. What do you think?
  17. OldPete

I'm trying to find an: ELECTRICALLY Actuated Ball Valve made of either brass or stainless that is full port and 3/4". I found one, it is $375... I have to figure that there has to be a better price? This one is triggered by a SPDT switch... and seems very fancy for what I need. I...
  18. OldPete

Water Flow "Alarm" ?

Thanks for the reply Jim, The domestic hot water and the baseboard heat are both generated from a sealed system Baxi Luna. This means that if the water is turned off, hot water can't be turned on -- so the Baxi won't fire... so we're covered there... On the heat side, the loop is sealed...
  19. OldPete

Water Flow "Alarm" ?

Yeah... I want to do a wall switch I think... with a motorize solenoid... This is one of those things I have to just fix in my head to do and that's it. I'm thinking right where the service comes in the house -- then I'll go up into the joist bay as high as I can (since we're working in a...
  20. OldPete

Water Flow "Alarm" ?

Why couldn't I just use a valve similar to a zone valve for hydronic?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks