Search results

1. sbaitso

Embedding conduit/raceway in Plaster wall

I went with the MC cable... the shallowness of the trench (~1" deep) pretty much meant it was the only way to go, but it definitely was the best/easiest solution (thanks!). I went ahead and ran 12-3 in case of future expansion needs as well. I've been reading parts of the 2008 NEC that seem...
  2. sbaitso

Hmm, looks like MC is the other choice. I guess ultimately I'd feel better if I could have some sort of raceway that I could run cable through in the future if the needs of the circuit change, so I'd like to stay away from something where the wire is integral to the cable. Of course that's...
  3. sbaitso

Has anyone had any experience embedding a cable / conduit / raceway in a solid plaster wall (its solid plaster on masory - no lathe, no gap between the plaster and the brick on the other side)? I'm thinking I'll have to cut a channel in the wall and put in a piece of conduit to use as a...
  4. sbaitso

Mineral Deposits in Water Heater Inlet

Great, thanks for the advice! Funny thing is I already replaced the hot side and it actually looked cleaner than the cold. Must have been the black iron coupling someone had inexplicably joined with the galvanized pipe I just removed from the supply side. Thanks!
  5. sbaitso

see attachments for some pictures to illustrate...
  6. sbaitso

While re-piping the cold water supply to my Water Heater, I noticed that at the the dielectric union at the water heater was very clogged with rust and other minerals. This would probably partly explain the terrible hot water pressure I get in my house. It was almost totally clogged with rust...
  7. sbaitso

3 Seemingly Basic Basement Plumbing Questions

Hi all, in the final phases of replacing the old pipe in my basement. I've got three (easy?) questions... 1. Frost-Proof Hose Bib - How far into basement does the stem need to reach. The hose is going through about 10 inches of brick and concrete before reaching the interior basement space...
  8. sbaitso

Type M copper in basement

I've recently started a repiping job in my basement using type M copper. When I started the job, everything I read seemed to indicate this was fine... of course, now that I am in the middle of the job, I've noticed alot of folks recomending type L copper, mainly for durabilty reasons, but also...
  9. sbaitso

Inspections for DIY Copper Repipe

What is the best place to turn to if/when questions arise concerning following proper code? the library? the inspection office? internet forums? a licensed plumber? While I am familier with the basic plumbing code issues covered in most plumbing books, what about the specifics? I...
  10. sbaitso

Laundry Tub with No Visible Trap

I guess I'll just have to move the sink and peer down the drain to see if there is any standing water. Chances are I would have smelled something foul if there was no trap, correct? My hope is to someday move the sink over a foot or two so it sits in a location that is easier to get to... but...
  11. sbaitso

I was wondering if it was something like that... though there is another floor drain about 6 or 7 feet from where this drain is. That drain is in a lowspot on the basement floor, while this one with the sink is not.
  12. sbaitso

some pics... if they provide any help. And after looking again, I don't think its PVC thats under the slab. Its so covered in stuff that its hard to tell.
  13. sbaitso

In my basement is a laundry tub (aka stationary tub) that the washing machine drains into. For some odd reason, it has no trap. There is simply a straight length of PVC drain pipe that was somehow fitted into another larger pice of PVC that goes under the slab. The house was built in the '20s...
  14. sbaitso

sounds like a permit will be in order. If I do go ahead an do the repipe myself, do I risk not passing inspection if other parts of the plumbing system have been done incorrectly? or is the inspection only for the work that I've done? (There are a few related plumbing things that were...
  15. sbaitso

I've got some old galvanized water pipe in the basement I'd like to replace with copper. Since all the pipe is exposed, and the all the pipe going to the upper floors is already copper, I'm going to take on the job myself. I've never dealt with getting a permit or inspection before, and was...
  16. sbaitso

Bathtub refinishing experience?

I had this done a year and a half ago by a professional tub refinishing company. The tub was ugly and it looked like it had suffered through a few bad DIY refinishes before we bought the house, so I had my doubts about how good it would look when finished. My doubts were wrong however, as...
  17. sbaitso

What pipe size with 5/8" meter, to replace old pipe?

The meter is probably about 40-50 ft from the street (city water). I should clarify... the meter is actually in the basement, and I won't be replacing the line to the meter... only from the meter. The line I'd need to replace is about 30 ft long before it starts branching off to the various...
  18. sbaitso

Thanks for the reply... If I undestand correctly, just because my meter is 5/8, I could still use 1" pipe after the meter, as the meter size doesn't necessarily dictate the pipe size. I'm guessing that the 1/2" pipes that connect the meter to my PRV are too small though.
  19. sbaitso

I'm considering replacing the old galvanized pipe in my basement with copper. Since I've never sweated pipes before, I'm doing alot of research and reading on the subject before I begin, and many questions are starting to come up. This forum has been a great source of info. The house was...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks