Search results

1. Etbrown4

70 year old Expansion Tank, oil boiler at 27psi

Perhaps this has been the subject of another post, but here goes... Have a great working old boiler with the old timey expansion tank, (maybe 10 gal) affixed to the basement ceiling. Pretty sure there's no bladder and possibly no air cushion. As pictured there's an odd looking elbow fitting...
  2. Etbrown4

Unable to stop water in tank from leaking down

New korky red flapper and new fluidmaster valve. Still the tank level apparently drops a little and refills about every 10 minutes. The seat area under the flapper is smooth, and it appears that the flapper is seating as it should, but it still leaks. I have on other jobs, occasionally...
  3. Etbrown4

? Metric pipe thread

I guess it exists in china and maybe europe, but where do i find a pipe thread coupling just larger than 3/8"?
  4. Etbrown4

Can you install a std Fluidmaster Valve in a Toto?

the Toto water inlet hole is close to the back wall of the tank, so it appears the std Fluidmaster 400 valve would rub the back wall. Is that true? If so, I guess most everyone uses the narrow Korky style valve. I saw a video indicating that you can fit a Fluidmaster 400ARHR in a Toto...
  5. Etbrown4

Moen Posi Temp Shower Cartridge Valve Plugged

Like most municipal water systems, and private wells, we have plenty of sediment which eventually plugs a shower valve. Some of the passages appear to be 1/4" or less, so we find that with typical sediment you can have very limited flow in 10 years or so. Interested what the old pros like Terry...
  6. Etbrown4

Crazy flapper

I've successfully changed many dozens of flappers in multiple properties but this one keeps leaking after multiple korky brand flapper replacements. The flapper seat is smooth. Even went over it with light sand cloth. Is a new glue on seat my best option?
  7. Etbrown4

Intermittent Tub Shower drain Leak 2 Identical Houses

No one will believe this. I have 2 Identical Houses with an identical 16 year old fiberglass tub shower drain in each, both leak intermittently or rarely. The first one leaked one time through the drywall ceiling 3 months ago. None since. Today in the other house there was a 3' puddle in the...
  8. Etbrown4

Very slight leak PVC Shower Drain, Access is Poor. Anyone tried stop leak for pools?

With shower running, we get maybe 10 drops leaking a minute. Access is Poor because it's above the ceiling and between the first and second floor. Then there are 2 HVAC trunk lines under the drain but above the ceiling. Can't see the drain but you can see the 2" PVC coming from it with water...
  9. Etbrown4

Tub Leaks When Draining Full Tub, But Not When Spout or Shower Runs

Yes I realize this sounds unlikely, but it's true. I didn't see how full the tub was, when the child accompanied by a parent, caused the major leak through the ceiling below. Possibly they filled it to the overflow, and kept on adding water. Then we have to guess that the overflow plumbing...
  10. Etbrown4

Locating Water service line, house on a slab

Would like to know on new construction, if most plumbers would usually or always bring in the water service line at the location of the water heater. I guess the alternative would be to bring it up in the closest bathroom. Can anyone share what they see as the common practice?
  11. Etbrown4

Price pfister shower cartridge, leaking o ring

I've replaced these 30 year old cartridges before with no problems. It cures a leak coming out of the tub spout. Changed one recently and when applying the 5 bolt cover plate developed a leak at the front oring. It's about 2". So now I have a Leake on the valve body. Replaced front 2" oring...
  12. Etbrown4

Residential boiler with 33psi at 175 degrees, 30 lb. T&P Releiving

Looks like 30 lb. T&P is performing as it should. Seems odd for this residential boiler to be running much above 25psi at these temps. Aquastat is pretty much ruled out as we just have too much pressure at this temp. Tips appreciated. Possibilities include the flue which appears clear...
  13. Etbrown4

Galvanized drain entering old Cast Iron Hub

We have an 1.5" galvanized drain line entering an old cast iron hum which looks like it might be 3" It leaks at the point of entry. We're not old timers, but as I recall they used to pack those hubs with hot lead. Tips on how to reseal this or to stop the leak would be appreciated. Anyone...
  14. Etbrown4

Anyone recognize this 1950's tub/shower stem

I know this looks like a Wolverine but I am not sure of the brand. My length is 5 7/8" I looked at a drawing for a Wolverine 426201, and its similar but not the same, I really just need the stem nuts. Anyone know if these are available or where? pic at...
  15. Etbrown4

Water Heater Pulling 18 Amps Continuously - Not Heating

Been doing plumbing and electrical work for nearly 40 years and here is a new one for me. 50 gal elec water heater, maybe 3 years old. Rated 4500w It is pulling 18a on both hot wires supplying the heater so that's at 230v, measured by an Amprobe. There is no leak and the pressure relief is...
  16. Etbrown4

Tiny leaking crimp joint at toilet stop

In a 10 yr old house, we find a tiny leak at the crimp joint, joining a toilet stop to PEX or polyethylene pipe. It's a really small leak, like one drip every half hour. So just as soon not replace the stop if there is a viable option. Have very limited experience with crimping PEX. Can you...
  17. Etbrown4

Problem with Mueller fitting at customer side of water meter

We all know there are ips and cts sizes, and that's not the problem on this job. This Mueller fitting is made onto the meter yoke, so there is no easy replacing it. Installing a new house side water service we replaced 3/4 ips polyethylene pipe with the same thing, with the same od. Going...
  18. Etbrown4

Toilet bowl leaks to empty in 30 min, starting at normal level Updated with latest!

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, but it got off into a discussion about good and not-so-good toilets, so I thought I'd start a new one to save folks from reading all that history. Here goes: Are there any other possible causes of a bowl leaking down to bone dry in 30 minutes, other...
  19. Etbrown4

Toilet bowl leaks to empty in 30 min, starting at normal level

Are there any other possible causes of a bowl leaking down to bone dry in 30 minutes, other than a clogged vent, or a possible leak in the internal trap itself? Zero moisture shows up in the ceiling below. Tips appreciated.
  20. Etbrown4

Customer's water service switched private well to municipal RO water....Rotten eggs

One of our customers just underwent a water supply switch from community well water to municipal RO well water. Almost immediately they encountered rotten egg smell on the hot side only. County says their RO water is high in sulfur. One explanation is that the water heater heats the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks