Search results

1. ColdShower

240V across mains but not across bus bars?

yeah it's a crap design...constant maintenance and expensive breakers. I didn't think I had a shut-off at the meter but I was wrong. Pried off the main and the connection on that one bus bar was "tight" but all like carbonized. Filed it off and adjusted the contacts and it's working...for...
  2. ColdShower

ok I think I see...but I'm pretty sure the two suspect breakers are working ok since I tried those circuits on other breakers with the same result...albeit I did do a lot of different measurements putting the panel back together and may have got confused over what I was doing. I'll measure that...
  3. ColdShower

Well I still don't understand...maybe I should have a picture of my panel...or take a look at a standard one. My breakers connect directly to the bus bars...thats the "incoming"...and there are two contacts on each breaker (two breakers really on each unit)...and each one makes contact with a...
  4. ColdShower

ok thanks...I'll read up on how to troubleshoot for that and start with the water heater...and hope it stops raining outside where the access panel for that is.
  5. ColdShower

hmmm sorry I don't quite understand where the measurements are to be made at that would give 240V or 0V on a single leg or circuit. It may be something to do with the one bus bar...the suspect circuits are on that bus. I've just discovered that with no load on that bus at all it measures about...
  6. ColdShower

well it seems the main breaker is ok other than about 20V drop on one leg...I get about 200V across the bus bars with no breakers installed. And the breakers are all working ok. Seems I have a couple of problems in the house circuitry. If I turn on the circuit for the kitchen outlets I only...
  7. ColdShower

oops I intended to mention that I've cycled the main off and on a number of times and paused a bit while off but it didn't change anything. The main breaker feels solid and functional and not able to jiggle it or anything...not as if one of the two switches has failed that is...for what that's...
  8. ColdShower

Yeah it seems like it must be a problem in the main breaker or the buses underneath it...guess i'd like to hear a theory as to how a fault there could change the phase before I tackle that though. Jim, I get 120V between neutral and all the leads of the breakers. The design of the breaker...
  9. ColdShower

That's what I'm thinking too but AC and these phases is a mystery to me and I'm learning as I go...plus would like to know which of those two it is before I go further.
  10. ColdShower

It's 0V across the leads coming off the CB too yeah. It's installed right and all...it's old wiring and quit working on its own.
  11. ColdShower

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my 240V appliances aren't working. I measure 120V on both legs but 0V across them, at the appliance, the dual-pole breaker and across the bus bars themselves. But I do get 240V when measuring across where the service cables connect to the main breaker. Can a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks