Search results

1. mrtmills

Boiler firebox damage

Hi, After a more thorough inspection it appears as though there is a sheet metal liner on the walls of the cylindrical firebox, the only obvious place where there is refractory is the target area. I'm attaching another picture that was on the boiler which shows a little sketch. Any thoughts...
  2. mrtmills

Boiler firebox damage

Hi, I have a 2002 boiler in a 2600 sqft house which I just bought. Large pipes, CI rads and no boiler protection, careless owners etc. Lots of evidence of condensation. The firebox looks terrible and I'd like some opinions on it if you have the time. Attached is a photo of the target area and...
  3. mrtmills

Iron filter and softener advice

Hey, thanks everybody for all the responses. The well has 5 gpm recovery and maybe it doesn't have colloidal iron so I'm going to get it tested (the test takes forever so I was hesitant). I did run it hard on and off for a few days. Hopefully the new well will show promise, then I didn't waste...
  4. mrtmills

Thanks for the pump shut off info. That would make a big difference. Especially when it comes to accidentally leaving the outside tap on like my son did. You are right about the well, they just went deeper and deeper and eventually stopped. There is a lot of casing, about 80 ft. Interestingly I...
  5. mrtmills

Thanks for the responses everybody. The tannins thing is confusing. One test found it, the other did not. The water appears clear and if there is yellowing, it is very hard to see. I've heard that colloidal iron can lead to a false positive tannin result. The iron is colloidal, which is not easy...
  6. mrtmills

The stuff in the toilet is not slippery and the smell does not go away after turning up the heater. The smell is in both lines. There is a water company around here that pushes the ozone system called iron blaster, any experience? Due to the water's stubbornness to oxidize I worry that some of...
  7. mrtmills

Thanks for the reply. The toilet tank definitely has lots of crud but it's hard to tell if it's slippery. There is a slight oily look to the surface, here's a photo. The well is 360ft deep. Travis
  8. mrtmills

Hi, I've been on here before trying to find information on fixing my well water but I've not purchased anything yet. My water has a sulfur smell mainly in the hot water but some in the cold- both dissipate after a few seconds. I've had two tests, one found tannins, the other didn't mention...
  9. mrtmills

Choosing the right softener equipment

Thank you for your time and advice, clearly you all know water treatment. I swear you need a doctorate to understand this stuff. So I'll add a few more little points and we'll see where that takes us: 1) well casing extends above ground and goes 80 ft below. 2) how would I check to see if I have...
  10. mrtmills

Choosing the right softener equipment

Hi, I'm trying to make my water better and would really appreciate some advice from the knowledgeable members of this forum. My most recent water test showed the following: Hardness: 20 gpg Iron: 2.07 ppm Manganese: 1.2 ppm pH: 7.3 TDS: 460 ppm tannins: 1.2 ppm The water smells swampy very...
  11. mrtmills

well water lab tests, best treatment option

My water is kind of fixed! I have had a stroke of luck and what seems a little mysteriousness. To reiterate this long thread, my water would become fine after a bleaching but only for a month or so. After that, the water would slowly get smelly and more irony until I become infuriated. The...
  12. mrtmills

Hello, Two places I have contacted deal with Myers. Has anyone heard of or formed an opinion of such a brand name? Also, I plan to change the anode rod in the hot water tank due to the sulfur smell but if it is still remains is a carbon filter the best solution? thanks again
  13. mrtmills

Yes I don't know how I missed the bold print, I'll check it out right now. Anyhow, thanks again for all your assistance. I appreciate this resource immensely and you are good people for taking the time to answer the questions of those feeling helpless. take care
  14. mrtmills

Thank you for your sympathies. It is frustrating but such is life. I am thinking about going out and getting myself a water softener on my own, can anyone here recommend a good website which details how to size one and which brands are satisfactory? I figure that I will need a softener in the...
  15. mrtmills

Hi, I just spoke with the plumbing store, which was very unhelpful. He told me that he sends my numbers away to EMCO and they send back those model numbers. He said it is a softener/iron filter combination (one tank) and could not comment on the size of the tank, contents etc. I thought the...
  16. mrtmills

Sorry, I am not familiar with how this works. I'll get the information. thanks again.
  17. mrtmills

Hi, Thanks for all your replies. I got a recommendation back from the plumbing store. I was hoping someone could give their opinion on the setup. Also, if you could recommend a way to remove the odour (what type of carbon filter), I would really appreciate it. The numbers are in the original...
  18. mrtmills

Hi, I went down to turn up the water heater and found it to already be at 150F, so I turned her up to 155 for a few hours and still no change. In the recent past I was shocking this well every few months and that would take the smell and metallic taste away for about 3 weeks. Assuming the...
  19. mrtmills

Hi, I did what you asked and found there to be a smell in the cold water too. It is a swampy metallic smell and it decays in a matter of seconds down to an almost unnoticeable smell. Should I still crank the water heater? thanks
  20. mrtmills

Thanks for the reply. The hot water smells the most, possibly due to the steam, and the cold hardly smells at all. After a few minutes the smell is gone. The water is clear when it comes out of the tap so maybe tannins are not an issue. I got the most extensive water test I could get - that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks