Search results

1. grahamW

Humidifier install & AC coil

I have a 10 year old updraft furnace and I am looking to install a humidifier. My AC coil (a frame) wse installed 18" above the furnace in the plenum so that I could have good access to periodically spray it with coil cleaner. Are there any issues with installing the humidifier evaporator pad...
  2. grahamW

Venting laundry drain

I found a photo on the forum showing a laundry vent and figured I would copy it when doing my own installation. Alas, I don't have as much room between the p-trap from the washer drain and the sink rough in. In the photo attached, there is a dedicated vent for the washer drain that ties into the...
  3. grahamW

Considerations for extending cold-air return

I have a relatively modern energy star rated Carrier furnace/AC installed in an unfinished basement. I am thinking about finishing the basement and have had a few contractors in for quotes. One mentioned that I could make things more functional if I were to consolidate my utilities. This means...
  4. grahamW

Residential Evaporator Coils Placement

A quick question regarding the placement of the evaporator coils placement on top of a residential furnace. Within the plenum above the furnace, is there supposed to be a gap between the coil and the top of the furnace? If so, how much of a gap and what supports the condensate tray. Mine...
  5. grahamW

Quick trap prime line question

I'm running a primer line from my laundry sink to a p-trap in my basement floor slab and I have a quick question: Is there a preferred placement for this line and should I run a 2nd (backup?) line in case one is damaged? I assume I can just place it in with the concrete but I thought I would...
  6. grahamW

Rough basement drain/laundry

I've finished excavating and have laid out my basement drain and laundry (dry-fit) and I was wondering if anyone has any comments. It is more-or-less what I sketched out in a different thread, but I needed to use a long reach 90 and a 22.5 fitting into a tighter bend than I expected due to the...
  7. grahamW

When to switch from PVC to ABS?

I've now located the waste line under my slab. Above the concrete, all the plumbing waste/vent lines are ABS, while below ground they are green/white PVC. My plan is to wye into the 15" long section of 4" green PVC (photos below) using no-hub couplings for my new floor and laundry drains...
  8. grahamW

Pitching concrete to floor drain

I'm in the process of adding a basement floor drain and I've found the basement pour quite excessive which is making cutting and jackhammering a pain. I need to re-pitch the floor to the new drain and I was originally planning to remove and then re-pour a large area. I'm now considering pitching...
  9. grahamW

Feedback on basement pipe layout

As described in my other thread, I'm relocating the laundry and floor drain in my basement. It is worth mentioning that the location of the floor drain is between the tankless HW and the laundry. The existing floor has a gentle slope towards the sump in the opposite corner. I'm looking for...
  10. grahamW

Vent requirement for basement floor drain (Canada)

I'm contemplating my options for locating a 2" vent in my basement which will serve my relocated laundry and floor drain. I was talking with a fellow at the local (independent) plumbing store and he advised that, in Canada, a floor drain does not need to be vented if it is minimun 3" in size...
  11. grahamW

When is a toilet vent not required?

Can anyone advise when a toilet vent isn't required in Ontario? I have a small 2 piece bathroom on the mainfloor and the toilet enters a 3" stack directly without a vent. The sink connects to this same stack and has a 1.5" vent. Thanks.
  12. grahamW

Venting basement floor drain

Can anyone describe how a typical basement floor drain is vented? Can it be wet vented to a 3" stack which is itself a vent (i.e. runs from the basement slab through to the roof)? If so, what are the distance requirements at play? Thanks in advance, Graham
  13. grahamW

Moving W/D and floor drain

I have a 10 year old home but an expanding family has us cramped for space. We need to reno the basement to get a little more living space but to save a buck, the developer/builder decided to separate the utilities into all three basement rooms leaving me with very little useable space. I'm...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks