Search results

1. grahamW

Humidifier install & AC coil

Thanks. I certainly don't plan on using them simultaneously... Just to counter our cold dry winters.
  2. grahamW

Humidifier install & AC coil

I have a 10 year old updraft furnace and I am looking to install a humidifier. My AC coil (a frame) wse installed 18" above the furnace in the plenum so that I could have good access to periodically spray it with coil cleaner. Are there any issues with installing the humidifier evaporator pad...
  3. grahamW

Venting laundry drain

Yes, it would technically be a wet-vent if I omitted it. In my case, the ABS stub out between the copper lines which is dumping waste into the vertical would be for a laundry sink. It isn't a huge deal for me to shift the sink drain to the right and tie in with a separate vent. For what it is...
  4. grahamW

Venting laundry drain

I found a photo on the forum showing a laundry vent and figured I would copy it when doing my own installation. Alas, I don't have as much room between the p-trap from the washer drain and the sink rough in. In the photo attached, there is a dedicated vent for the washer drain that ties into the...
  5. grahamW

Considerations for extending cold-air return

I have a relatively modern energy star rated Carrier furnace/AC installed in an unfinished basement. I am thinking about finishing the basement and have had a few contractors in for quotes. One mentioned that I could make things more functional if I were to consolidate my utilities. This means...
  6. grahamW

Residential Evaporator Coils Placement

A quick question regarding the placement of the evaporator coils placement on top of a residential furnace. Within the plenum above the furnace, is there supposed to be a gap between the coil and the top of the furnace? If so, how much of a gap and what supports the condensate tray. Mine...
  7. grahamW

Quick trap prime line question

I'm running a primer line from my laundry sink to a p-trap in my basement floor slab and I have a quick question: Is there a preferred placement for this line and should I run a 2nd (backup?) line in case one is damaged? I assume I can just place it in with the concrete but I thought I would...
  8. grahamW

Rough basement drain/laundry

Very true. My laundry sink/drain will be plumbed as shown in one of Terry's posts. The 2" vents will tie together and then head up to the attic where they'll connect to an existing 3" vent. My only change is that I'll be putting a 2" T-cleanout at the bottom of the 2" drain. Thanks again...
  9. grahamW

No harm done as it is mostly held together with bits of tape :p My concern was how tight that radius was compared to my original drawing and that I couldn't get the vent to run anything greater than 45 deg and avoid the footing. Thanks. I was unsure of using a sani-tee horizontally for a...
  10. grahamW

I've finished excavating and have laid out my basement drain and laundry (dry-fit) and I was wondering if anyone has any comments. It is more-or-less what I sketched out in a different thread, but I needed to use a long reach 90 and a 22.5 fitting into a tighter bend than I expected due to the...
  11. grahamW

When to switch from PVC to ABS?

The fellow at the local plumbing shop suggested I use a 4" flexible coupling (apparently different than a no-hub coupling). The green pipe, he insists, is SDR-35 and is used by the developers/builders to save a little money. It is used for all the sewer lines and they add a bushing and switch to...
  12. grahamW

My other option is to get a pair of 3" I.D. bushings, some 4" sch40 pipe and splice in a sch40 4x4x3 wye directly. This will use 2 bushings instead of one and effectively reduces the I.D. of the main sewer line leaving the house which is something I'm less than thrilled about. The bushings will...
  13. grahamW

Feedback on basement pipe layout

My mistake when drawing. I've also added a T-cleanout where the 2" laundry drain line meets the slab. The perspective of the floor drain vent is also a little off.
  14. grahamW

Thanks HJ. As I've said before, they cut every corner they could when they built this place. If you think the plumbing looks suspect, you should have seen some of the electrical. I do wonder how they managed to join the black sch40 ABS pipes (which they used above ground) to these sch30...
  15. grahamW

Hackney, thanks for that. I put my calipers on that broken bit of green pipe and its thickness is 0.179" (i.e. schedule 30). This just keeps on getting more and more fun. Will it really matter if I'm using no-hub connectors for the wye?
  16. grahamW

I figured that there must be a reason that it changes above and below the slab. Seems strange.
  17. grahamW

I've now located the waste line under my slab. Above the concrete, all the plumbing waste/vent lines are ABS, while below ground they are green/white PVC. My plan is to wye into the 15" long section of 4" green PVC (photos below) using no-hub couplings for my new floor and laundry drains...
  18. grahamW

Pitching concrete to floor drain

My plan was to use epoxy for the floor. It will remain unfinished for the moment. I could tile it, but it wasn't my plan.
  19. grahamW

Thanks. That is what I feared. Off to rent a propper demo hammer.
  20. grahamW

It's a residential basement with a pour between 4" and 6" thick and more rock than I expected. Plans show it is non-structural but I could put my truck on it. Either way, it is too much for my little demo tools so I'll clearly need to rent something bigger. For what it is worth, my previous...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks