Search results

1. petrie

DIY Bathroom Faucet Replacement - solid supply lines?

just take a small tubing cutter and cut where the 1/2 pipe is solded to the sink connection. I'd try to keep as much of that 1/2 copper stub as possible. this way you keep your air chambers and valves. Then debur inside of pipe. Maybe clean outside of pipe real good, (not with emery cloth...
  2. petrie

I'm lost on plumbing

Why not demo it yourself and get a plumber to come in and put in drain/vent/supply lines? You will still save plenty of money putting in your own fixtures, vanties, toilets, bathtub surround, etc. If you were going to tackle it yourself I'd get some good DIY plumbing/bathroom books and...
  3. petrie

Separate lines and breakers for one receptacle??????

My living room has all the bottom receptacles (5) connected to 3-way switches. They used 14/3 to do this and 15 amp breakers in panel, so I don't plug my vacum cleaner into these outlets. Using one 12/3 is cheaper than two 12/2 for running the kitchen small appliance circuits. However, I...
  4. petrie

When I turn it to hot, nothing comes out

time for a new cartridge?
  5. petrie

Lukewarm water, not a heater issue...?

When you said shower was lukewarm I was going to guess you had one of those anti-scald devices in the valve preventing enough hot water to flow. I had to remove them from a couple of valves because water wouldn't get hot enough even when I adjusted them all the way. But sounds like you got...
  6. petrie

Blocked Intake Vent on Water Heater

I have a Richmond power vented model and on mine the blower assembly is just attached with sheet metal screws to the top of the tank. So if you undid the clamp to the vent pipe and took screws out the blower unit could be replaced. On my water heater the intake hangs over the side of the...
  7. petrie

Why is non astm b 813 compliant solder even sold?

I see what you're saying about the tinning watersoluble being easier than plain water soluable flux...they didn't have Oatey 5 H2O at my big box store to try. I noticed that the Bernzomatic soldering kits all come with water soluable flux. So, I guess it's shame on me for not knowing...
  8. petrie

Bought a small container of the Oatey 95 H2O water soluable tinning flux. Not bad. From what I read on internet I assumed it would be horrible to work with The stuff is creamy and real easy to spread as opposed to regular Oatey 95 which has the consistency of wax. I just soldered several...
  9. petrie

As a DIYer I started soldering by going out and buying the solder and flux kit from oatey. It came with Oatey 95 and some silver lead-free solder. Been using that for last 3 years. Had good results so when I ran out I'd just buy the Oatey 95 again. Been reading about corrosion from...
  10. petrie

Soldering Tips

I've watched that guys videos before and to me that don't look right. He's applying the solder right next to flame, he keeps heating it when it's obviously hot enough to take solder. I'm far far far from being any kind of expert, but this guys videos seem a lot better. He gets into the...
  11. petrie

Torch with swirl tip worth the extra money?

Forum member Reach4 just sent me a link to a bernzomatic product guide that had the answer to my question. Looks like the Turbotorches BTU rating is of the heat value in the primary flame, whereas Bernzomatic gave me the total heat value of the flame. So, now I see the error in reasoning when...
  12. petrie

Recieved my ts-4000 via ups today. Took it for test drive on some 1/2" fittings. I'm impressed. Gets hotter faster and can't beat the instant on off feature. I'm pretty sure it will tackle any job I'd throw at it. 3/4 ball valve or a shower valve would be the toughest thing I'll throw at...
  13. petrie

PTrap too far below sink .??

Without major "surgery" I can't fix this installation. I thought about the AAV, but no matter where I but that it's going to be above the trap...which is in the floor. I disconnected undersink drain from the pipe comeing out of floor and the underslab trap stays full after dumping a bunch...
  14. petrie

Framing a door

I would think 2x6 header would be adequate. You got nothing now and it hasn't sagged. Maybe you can rip some strips to even out the door frame and the studs. I'd take a look at a black and decker diy frameing book. They tell you how to deal with ballon frameing vs platform frameing for...
  15. petrie

horizontal flue pipe

Not sure what's code, but I had a natural draft water heater with a vent that went up 18" , elbowed horizontal 12" and tee'd into a 6" pipe that it shared with my furnace. Sometimes it would back draft and spill combustion gas into basement. Could be from dryer running, bathroom vent fan...
  16. petrie

I've seen those valves at the local diy center I'll have to took at them.
  17. petrie

The Pipe next to the toilet is the drain for the upstairs bathroom, and goes right up through the roof. I figured the toilet installation was ok because the drain pipe was a "wet" vent. Since the install there is never an all time stench coming from this room. Just once in a while you...
  18. petrie

Home was built in 1972. When I bought it 4 years ago the homeowner had a cheap shower stall set up. The closet elbow was actually mostly covered by the concrete floor. I thought it was a hole in concrete and was going to cement over it, and then realized it was a closet elbow that was...
  19. petrie

Old post, but gave me a clue to my problem. In my basement I removed a shower stall and put a utility sink in using that drain. It's more than 2 vertical feet from the sink drain to the trap, plus there is no vent on this drain. The drain on this sink is a 2" pipe that runs 6' over...
  20. petrie

Worth the money? Not sure why I though swirl tip torches cost a fortune...but they don't. I just ordered a Bernzomatic TS-4000 torch. No gas adjusment valve on this one...but lots of good reviews so for the price I'll give it a whirl. I don't need much of an excuse to buy a new tool.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks