Search results

1. Engine1

Boiler Pressure

Two questions: 1) Is there an advantage to having a system operate at, say, 12PSI instead of a higher pressure of, say for comparison 24PSI? 2) Can someone refer me to the rule where it's written that pressure relief valves must be upright and not horizontal?
  2. Engine1

Metered gas use

Is it typical for an average gas hot water heater, a gas range and a gas dryer to use appx 1 therm per day with a typical family?
  3. Engine1

Boiler Pressure

Would that apply to a Watts 9D-M3 in a residence, and if so can you link to or post the section that requires that? thx
  4. Engine1

Direction of Pressure Relief Valve

Turns out it's not approved for horizontal install, only upright. It was not tested in multiple positions, and the sideways pressure fluid dynamics exerted on the spring are supposedly different than if it was upright. Manufacturer said upright, so it will be.
  5. Engine1

Boiler Pressure Relief Valve Position

Is it written that a 30PSI residential hot water boiler pressure relief valve must be mounted upright, or is horizontal OK? I've read that the weight of the lever plays a role in the tension on the spring, and am confuzzled as to certifications. I've got one that's professionally installed...
  6. Engine1

Boiler Pressure

Can you post or PM a link the details on this. I don't see it online. Thanks.
  7. Engine1

I don't know if it's 6" from the top of the water jacket, it's hard to tell where that is with a well insulated cabinet. On the Burnham ES2, the gauge is supposed to be installed at the height of the supply outlet, upright, and the supply outlet is about 14" down from the top of the cabinet...
  8. Engine1

Was looking through the manual for our recently installed, and still uninspected, hot water heating system Everything in it, the illustrations for installing the boiler and the written directions, indicate the pressure relief valve should be mounted upright. The manual reads: "3. Orient the...
  9. Engine1

Boiler Pressure

Was wondering about that pressure safety switch. There isn't one (that I know of) on on this cast iron 85% system. Thanks for clarifying. I removed the diaphragm tank and it had a pressure of 13PSI, connected it earlier read 15PSI or I'm just off a bit or inadvertently let out 2 - either...
  10. Engine1

Fittings made in China

Yes, the 40' line was tested for leaks with bubble mix; not pressure. I've observed that the Chinese fittings have specks of rust on them from the mix and that the few Ward brand fittings that were used do not. If it wasn't for that rust, I probably wouldn't be questioning their quality...
  11. Engine1

Copper Diameter and Pressure

Have a really old house. It's plumbed with copper, 1/2" throughout. I don't see a tad of anything larger. The pressure is OK if one thing is open. Two things and it drops. Three, well, that's not good. I think the house is getting good pressure from the street - my unscientific...
  12. Engine1

Boiler Pressure

Hot water boiler pressure is at 18 cold, 25 or so when hot. The new regulating valve is adjusted to the lowest possible setting. Expansion tank has 15PSI. The two zone baseboard loop is on a first floor. I don't know if this important, but the feed is into the return line and the pumps...
  13. Engine1

Fittings made in China

Had a plumbing project done professionally and they used Chinese "M" brand fittings on the gas line. The pipe was made in the good 'ol USA. Any problem with using imported fittings - are they as good as the USA made Ward brand etc since they carry similar approvals?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks