Search results

1. Collin

Need to drill into slab, how to avoid copper pipes?

Cass, I originally had a tub/shower combo. I am replacing this with a tiled shower. The tub had a 1 1/2" drain pipe connected to a 2" p trap, connected to a 2" drain pipe. I took out all the 1 1/2" pipe and the 2" p trap and replaced with 2" pipe and p trap (I moved the drain to the center of...
  2. Collin

Hi Cass, can you clarify your last post? The original pipe I replaced was under the slab the the new 2" pipe I put in is also under the slab. I backfilled with the original dirt and plan to top off with about 4" of Quikrete.
  3. Collin

Jim, thanks for the reply. I have been using www.johnbridge.com as a guide. John himself suggested screwing 2x4s to a slab in the following post. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13818 Would a vapor barrier between the 2x4 and slab help? There are a couple other posts...
  4. Collin

Thanks for the tips, guys. I thought about using treated wood for the curb but heard that it tends to warp as it dries out. I have done a few outdoor projects using treated wood and I can definitely see warpage. I do realize the conditions outdoors are not the same as indoors. I've been reading...
  5. Collin

I thought they ran underneath the slab, but I excavated about 2 square feet of the slab around the PVC drain pipe (replaced 1 1/2" with 2"). That hole was only a few inches away from where the copper pipes come up from the slab (I didn't escavate around the copper pipes). I can reach underneath...
  6. Collin

I am building a curb for a new tile shower. I want to screw a 2x4 into the slab to form the base of the curb. I'm really worried about hitting a copper pipe in the vicinity, as I will be drilling between the bathroom sink and the old tub/shower. Are there any precautions I can take to avoid...
  7. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

I looked at some caulks and most seemed to have a maximum joint width of about 1/4". I bought a 4" coupling that is about the same thickness as my slab. I want to put the 4" coupling around my 2" drain pipe, then pour some concrete. I bought some sprayable insulating foam that claims to be...
  8. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

Ok, I cut the entire P-trap off using a wire saw. Wasn't very easy but I will now have a quality plumbing job with no half-a** fittings. My last question is about covering the excavation I made. The original drain pipe was routed through a small square cutout in the slab, and the the cutout...
  9. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

Ok, I rented a chisel hammer and busted up the slab to the 2" pipe. Fortunately, the original 1 1/2" drain pipe was coupled to a 2" P trap directly below the drain, so I didn't have that much digging to do. Where should I cut to remove the 1 1/2" pipe? I have a wire saw so I should be able to...
  10. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

I only need to move the drain about 18", so I should have no problem meeting the 1/4" per foot guideline. My real question is if the existing 2' stretch of 1 1/2" pipe is a problem. If not, I could use 2" pipe for the new 18" extension and P trap, and connect that to the 2' of 1 1/2" pipe...
  11. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

Yes, I've got everything stripped down to the slab. I cut the tub overflow pipe and put a cap on it but am realizing this might not be the best solution. I see where the drain pipe runs down vertically into the slab. I am assuming my slab is very thick (single story home, no basement, slab...
  12. Collin

Change tub drain pipe

I am replacing a standard tub with a tiled shower. I understand the typical drain line width for a shower is 2". The current pipe is 1 1/2" and is in a concrete slab. The vent pipe is about 18" away, so I assume the stack is close, within about 2'. Do I need to bust up the concrete and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks