Search results

1. Belmondo

What sediment filter for 6 unit house?

I just changed an 11 year old tank water heater and boy was there a lot of crap clogging the outlet pipe where I cut it. The tempering valves get a lot of crud too. So I'm thinking a whole house sediment filter is in order, I've heard it will extend the life of the equipment too. I don't care...
  2. Belmondo

Need advice on installing new vanity to old eccentric plumbing.

So I've got a classic urban archaeology plumbing problem. I want to put in a new wider vanity without major reworking of feeds and drains, or tearing out the tile walls, not that the plumbing is currently behind the walls as you see in the photo. The new cabinet will nearly butt up against the...
  3. Belmondo

What can cause tiny plastic crumbs in my water supply?

My sink aerators, tempering valve and shower heads are getting clogged with what looks like whitish swarf from cutting plastic, small fuzzy looking chunks. It melts with a match. Can utility work have caused this? I've done no work recently, my supply system has no plastic parts that I know of...
  4. Belmondo

need to reattach roof drain leader to sealed standpipe "mystery drains"

I got dinged by the city for having the leader off a porch roof draining to the sidewalk (not my work, and I understand the safety reasons for the code). Clearly the previous owner disconnected the leader from the sewer system to do this, and I need to reattach it. Lots of question now. What...
  5. Belmondo

Are insurers nervous about screw-in circuit breakers in old fuse panels?

My insurance broker said he couldn't underwrite the house if it had fuses anywhere. I told him it had one subpanel with 4 of the circuit breakers that screw in where the fuses go, and he said lets see what the insurance inspector says and issued the policy. If it's going to be a problem I'd...
  6. Belmondo

Why does a 1" zone valve have a tiny 3/8 port?

My indirect was originally installed with 3/4 rather than 1" (long story, salvaged unit tacked on existing zone manifold). I've gotten everything needed to redo the zone to 1", and when I looked at the valve, I was startled to see it has a 3/8 port! Isn't it stupid then to do all this work to...
  7. Belmondo

Can I run NM in space behind kitchen cabinets & plaster or do I need to use BX?

Hi all. I'm renovating my kitchen. There were very few electrical outlets in this old place, and I'm adding them for the fridge and stove in addition to installing a micro/hood and counter outlets, all with appropriate separate circuits and GFCI. The issue is that the wall behind the counter...
  8. Belmondo

Drywall construction around gas water heater vent?

What are the guidelines for constructing drywall around a vent pipe? My tank WH is in a closet next to the brick flue, but the inside is unfinished and I'd like to clean it up a bit. Googling came up with a reference to 6" from flammable material being the rule. That makes it tight to place a...
  9. Belmondo

Do I have this kitchen sink move correct?

I guess this is simple compared to a lot of the DIY work here, but I can't find all the answers searching the archive. I want to move a kitchen sink 30" down the wall and run the drain through the cabinets to the new location. I've found a post saying 42" is the limit for an arm, so I'm good...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks