Search results

1. Belmondo

What sediment filter for 6 unit house?

Lot to ponder here, thanks. I'm not too concerned about downtime when I change the filter, I'll just do it during the day when most tenants are at work. I could put in a plain bypass too, a few minutes of unfiltered would not be the end of the world, it's been unfiltered forever! I like the...
  2. Belmondo

What sediment filter for 6 unit house?

I just changed an 11 year old tank water heater and boy was there a lot of crap clogging the outlet pipe where I cut it. The tempering valves get a lot of crud too. So I'm thinking a whole house sediment filter is in order, I've heard it will extend the life of the equipment too. I don't care...
  3. Belmondo

What can cause tiny plastic crumbs in my water supply?

Back to solving this problem after months of cleaning out shower heads and aerators. Ordered a dip tube, but it's not obvious how to install it before removing the feed nipple. It's not mounted on a nipple like a gas heater, its just a plastic tube with a flare and O-ring, real ripoff for $37...
  4. Belmondo

Need advice on installing new vanity to old eccentric plumbing.

Thanks. So a Mission is the same as a Fernco? Never heard the term before. The reason for the sharkbite idea was to be able to jam it down onto the pipe where a compression would not be accessible. I don't see a way to capture the vertical AND the horizontal feeds into the cab in one move...
  5. Belmondo

Need advice on installing new vanity to old eccentric plumbing.

So I've got a classic urban archaeology plumbing problem. I want to put in a new wider vanity without major reworking of feeds and drains, or tearing out the tile walls, not that the plumbing is currently behind the walls as you see in the photo. The new cabinet will nearly butt up against the...
  6. Belmondo

How much of that applies to an indirect tank? This tank doesn't even have a bottom drain, but has a siphon drain from the top.
  7. Belmondo

Had to look that up, Dec 2001. It's a Triangle Tube. But this looks like "sawdust" of plastic, not broken shards. It would have to be crumbling. If that's it, what's the course of action? Can the tube be replaced? How in the world can I clean this crap out of the tank? Makes you wonder about...
  8. Belmondo

My sink aerators, tempering valve and shower heads are getting clogged with what looks like whitish swarf from cutting plastic, small fuzzy looking chunks. It melts with a match. Can utility work have caused this? I've done no work recently, my supply system has no plastic parts that I know of...
  9. Belmondo

Alliance indirect performance with smaller boilers?

That is odd. My 35 gal Triangle Tube has 1" ports.
  10. Belmondo

Which type of gas water heater tank makes the most sense (venting related question)

What an awesome thread! I'm gonna look into the Economizer control. Another control I installed was a programmable thermostat for the tank to reduce the standby firing of the boiler. I was getting annoyed hearing my CGi cold starting boiler firing up all day in summer even after I installed...
  11. Belmondo

Should I replace my rental water heater and how?

If your oil heat is a hydronic boiler, you could easily replace the WH with an indirect tank on your boiler. Oil has got to be significantly cheaper per BTU than electric in MA. And if you convert your boiler to NG, you're even in better shape.
  12. Belmondo

Alliance indirect performance with smaller boilers?

Watch out for that priority controller thing, my house was getting cold! It was because the tank was was retrofit on the existing manifold set up with 3/4 not 1". My solution was to take it off priority and install a zone valve with basically a zero constriction port like a ball valve, unlike...
  13. Belmondo

need to reattach roof drain leader to sealed standpipe "mystery drains"

But under normal circumstances the floor drain would not be in use and it's trap would go dry. And what about that leader going directly to the sewer? That makes the top of the leader on the porch an open vent that is NOT at the roofline and below the windows of the upper 2 stories. That can't...
  14. Belmondo

need to reattach roof drain leader to sealed standpipe "mystery drains"

I got dinged by the city for having the leader off a porch roof draining to the sidewalk (not my work, and I understand the safety reasons for the code). Clearly the previous owner disconnected the leader from the sewer system to do this, and I need to reattach it. Lots of question now. What...
  15. Belmondo

Why does a 1" zone valve have a tiny 3/8 port?

I wasn't originally talking about the direct contact probe, I brought that up just to say it confirmed the cheapie IR unit, at least reading a floor. Even the probe unit was a Depot cheapie, but I thought it was great for tuning heating systems as it logs hi and lo temps. If I was pro, no doubt...
  16. Belmondo

I'm not shocked that my $10 Harbor Freight thermometer has drawbacks, but it seems accurate every time I've checked it. I got it when I installed the radiant, I had a digital thermometer with a probe on the floor in one spot, but used the IR to check the eveness of the heat. It read the same as...
  17. Belmondo

I do have the boiler set at 180. I'm not sure I would want to raise it, as my radiant is a suspended pex system simply running as a straight zone, no low temp exchanger at all. The boiler seems to be doing OK getting the tank up to 150, but if I can speed the recovery I can drop that down. At...
  18. Belmondo

Dana, I don't need to experiment, as my workdesk is a few feet from the boiler. I've already observed it kick off while the tank is still calling, and kick back on some minutes later. As for insulation, I already have double paned replacement windows. Certainteed were top rated by Consumer...
  19. Belmondo

Insulation is a sore subject. I live in a >100 year old brick rowhouse that started life as a cold water flat tenement. The walls are horsehair plaster & wood lathe on 3/4" furring strips nailed to the brick. There's really nowhere to insulate! I've replaced the windows, but I'm not going to gut...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks