Search results

1. Scott_J

Iron problem, well chemistry changing?

What problems would you expect? I was thinking of doing just a single chlorination (after the holidays) to see if it cleared things up and for how long.
  2. Scott_J

I called up the original well driller and the depth of the well is 455'. They said my problem is consistent with wells of this age (25 years) and galvanized steel rusting over time and getting pinholes in the threaded section joints. She did say I could try a shock chlorination but there was a...
  3. Scott_J

Yeah, he said it was rare too and he'd only seen it a few times but this looked exactly like what he'd seen in the past. I think it fluctuates with rainfall (I'm now keeping a log) but when it's bad like it was this morning the water out of the kitchen tap is immediately reddish/brown and...
  4. Scott_J

Had a Kinetico rep out to the house today, very nice and knowledgable fellow. He got similar results, ~11 ppm total iron untreated and 6 ppm after the softener. Unfortunately he said the remaining iron was colloidal and said he wouldn't even try to sell me one of their units. Given the...
  5. Scott_J

I measured the time it takes to recharge my well tank (39 sec) and then the gallons delivered before the pump kicks in again (5.5). 5.5/39x60=8.46 Is that the correct method? The 1 cuft was based on backwash recommended flow rates for a 9" tank.
  6. Scott_J

Ok, right, it's greensand that uses the permanganate. Filox looked to be the most efficient stuff out there without pre-oxidation although getting a handle on expected performance is not easy. I've seen numbers from 5-15 ppm iron removal capacity for these systems. Does anyone have any reliable...
  7. Scott_J

I think instead of pyrolox I would go with filox which is supposed to be easier to clean and then have plenty of margin in the backwash. Birm requires permanganate right? I have an irrational fear of adding chemicals to the water supply. Actually, do you have a link to the type of chlorine...
  8. Scott_J

Yes and I realize that would be the best option if it turns out I have a bacteria problem along with the high iron levels. I guess the only other option in that case is periodic well shocks depending on how long it takes the critters to return. I just don't like the idea of constant...
  9. Scott_J

Water Softener Installation?

Hi Todd, I had the exact same problem, spent a half hour in the adapters section before I realized the old bypass valve could be used directly. I also found a 3/4" sharkbite to 1" Female NIPT on the nets but didn't want to wait for delivery.
  10. Scott_J

It's the Watermax as Akpsdvan mentioned. Engineering on it looks excellent but given the cost (>3K) and my iron level I'm hesitant. The unit is rated at 12ppm total iron which I'm getting close too. So a question about iron bacteria, if I understand the process the bacteria converts ferrous to...
  11. Scott_J

Thanks for the replies guys. Does IRB produce Ferric iron? The water quality guy was out again today and the measurements are steady at 10 ppm Total (6 Ferric, 4 Ferrous). Their proposal is to install a very expensive all-in-one unit, sulfurstat for iron bacteria, filter material for ferric, and...
  12. Scott_J

That's what I was thinking, right now it's a moving target and I don't want to invest in something that won't be appropriate for the long term. I'm just wondering why the sudden change? There was an unusual (for this area) Earthquake back in August at 5.8 near Richmond which shook this area but...
  13. Scott_J

Hello, I am having an iron problem that seems to be worsening over time and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how my well chemistry might be changing and/or other ideas as to what's going on. I've been in the house for 9 years with a standard kenmore water softener (rated to remove iron...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks