Search results

1. Jeff_Bathroom

Plumbing for sliding transfer chair for elderly

Hi, My 92 yr old Dad has dimentia and Parkinsons and is using a regular shower/tub with sliding glass door and no grab bars. He's stubborn and doesn't want to realize the danger, but I'm insisting we remove the glass doors and do something like a sliding transfer seat into the tub. That...
  2. Jeff_Bathroom

Bad leak after granite installers left

Seems to be my week for plumbing issues. I had granite installed this past Friday. The installers had not told me that they remove the Studor sewer vent to make room for the support and straps that hold the undermount sink in place during the glue set. I saw it just lying there in the cabinet...
  3. Jeff_Bathroom

Inspection shows T&P trapped and no ground

Hi, I'm going to list my house and I decided to check the original inspection report when we purchased. I had forgotten about this T&P issue. Please see the photo. If the discharge pipe going up is not allowed, then I'm wondering why the plumber who installed this went to the trouble of...
  4. Jeff_Bathroom

How to disable my batch solar hot water heater temporarily

Hi, Long story short; the installer didn't check pressure and didn't install pressure tank, so my water pressure was about 150 psi and the 125psi pressure valve on the solar tank dribbled often enough to leave bad stains on roof shingles. I want to drain the solar tank, disconnect it and...
  5. Jeff_Bathroom

Gurgling sink with aav mystery

Hi, The dual kitchen sink has issues draining. The left side (disploser side with dishwasher that empties into the disposer), gurgles as it drains. The right side doesn't gurgle, but it is not as fast draining as it should be. These are on an AAV. I replaced the Oatey AAV 6 with a Studor...
  6. Jeff_Bathroom

Simple Pump in 4" casing - no pitless adapter

Hi, I'm thinking of installing a "simple pump" http://www.simplepump.com alongside my existing submersible pump in 4" well casing with no pitless adapter. The tag on the side of the casing says depth to water is 49 feet. Dept of well is 140 feet. Casing depth is 105 feet. Does this sound...
  7. Jeff_Bathroom

Low water pressure at one shower but not the other

The shower closest the incoming water from the well has good pressure. The shower in the master bath on the opposite side of the house is very low. It works, but I'd really like to have better pressure, particularly since it's the master bath. Both showers have the same fixtures. I replaced the...
  8. Jeff_Bathroom

Questions about air in supply lines and deep well

Hi, we starting getting air in our supply lines. We bled them out a couple times but I expect it will happen again. I had a well technician come out today and I wanted to run his logic and prices by the educated. First, I opened the water valve right at the tank and it sputtered, so I...
  9. Jeff_Bathroom

Possible Thermostat problem

Odd that I'm having to post this so soon after my last incident. My wife and I noticed that despite the temperature displayed on the thermostat, the house did not feel as cold as usual. The return is located near the floor, so I also noticed that when I walk by, the carpet next to the return...
  10. Jeff_Bathroom

LOUD DRIPPING - A/C condensation drain behind the wall

Hi, I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in the plumbing forum or not. Seems to me that HVAC folks should know how to deal with this issue. I went into the attic last night and followed the pvc pipe from the air handler to what looks like an open 1 1/2" pipe starting at the floor of...
  11. Jeff_Bathroom

Bought new Moentrol refurb kit

Actually I bought two of them, so I hope they don't suck. Seems like a good idea though to make things look new, despite keeping the old water valve in place. Questions I have are in regard to replacing the shower head and bath spout. I've done new ones before successfully, but not...
  12. Jeff_Bathroom

New toilet installed - not flush to the floor in the front

Hi, this is my third full bathroom remodel and it's the master bathroom. It's been a long, long, haul but it's looking pretty nice. I just finished installing the towel bars, toilet paper fixture and finally the toilet. As the title indicates, I have quite a space in the front...maybe...
  13. Jeff_Bathroom

Which way is the cold water handle supposed to turn?

Hi, I'm in the final stages of completing a bathroom remodel. I have double sinks and installed the two handle faucets from Kohler. It is my feeling that the cold water valves are turning the wrong way. I called Kohler and they said that's how all their lever valves work. I pointed out...
  14. Jeff_Bathroom

Move the toilet drain about 1 1/2"

Hi, I won't bore you with the details, but in the master bath remodel I'm working on, I moved the wall behind the toilet forward the width of a two by four or about an inch and a half. I knew I'd be moving the toilet drain as a result. I did not at the time think that would be a big deal...
  15. Jeff_Bathroom

Is it ok to use two of the three existing 12/3 wire?

Hi, (skip to the last paragraph if you're in a hurry) I'm remodeling the third of the three baths in the house and am doing some electrical re-arrangement. I have a similar issue with this third bath as the second, wherein there is or was an existing light/vent/heater combo that has to be...
  16. Jeff_Bathroom

How to replace a candelabra socket in an outdoor light

Hi, Rather than buying new outdoor light fixtures, I've been revamping the old brass ones; cleaning them up nice. However I have two lights; one at the front door and one at the garage door whose sockets don't work. There are multiple bulbs in each fixture and at least one other work...
  17. Jeff_Bathroom

External Frige Water Filter - compression fitting leaking

Hi, My Dad is installing a new filter and unfortunately he thought he was supposed to cut the old nut off of the copper tubing and put in the one that came with the new filter. He couldn't get the ferul (sp) into the pipe. I figured it was the pipe crimped inward due to the cut. It was, and...
  18. Jeff_Bathroom

Jaccuzzi parts ?

Hi, I just took a look at my parents bathroom. The insect guy reported to them that there was a big leak under the house. Sure enough, they'll have to get the sub-floor replaced and maybe the jaccuzzi itself (which I'll probably end up doing). Thing is that the tub still looks fine...
  19. Jeff_Bathroom

Wondering if I made a mistake sweating copper

Hi, I've sweated copper before with no leaks. This time I have 1" fittings that needed to be connected to 3/4" pipe, so I have 3/4 copper adapters. I wasn't thinking about it of course til after I was done, but I sweated all the 3/4 adapters onto the 1" connectors without also sweating to...
  20. Jeff_Bathroom

Plan on tub replacement w/ drop-in...maybe?

Hi folks, I've read quite a few threads about which is the best tub for the $ and whatnot. Seems cast-iron is still the best, but I will probably be installing this myself and don't want to break my back. Having said that, I had this thought and wanted to run it by you all: I did...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks