Search results

1. Pigrew

using copper waterlines under slab for additional ground ?

Of course, you're right. I missed the part in 250.53 that was mentioning that it has to be in a moist part of the ground. I removed a lot of what I said in my above post.
  2. Pigrew

using copper waterlines under slab for additional ground ?

Edited: (Removed things that I wasn't completely sure about, see jwelectric's post) A metal water pipe system is required to be bonded to your ground. (NEC 2011: 250.104A). But, these pipes wouldn't count as a ground because they are not in a permanently moist part of the soil (250.53A1)...
  3. Pigrew

Natural gas valve pressure ratings and pressure testing

Hi, I'm planning to add an appliance to my house, and will want to do a pressure test of the newly installed gas lines. I'm getting confused about the pressure ratings of the various valves involved. My main shutoff says 175 PSI, but most of the appliance valves say either 1/2 or 5 PSI...
  4. Pigrew

Replacing old metal basement windows

I replaced similar windows in my house. I first measured the width and the height of the existing opening in the wall. When I ordered the windows from *******, I gave them this as the rough opening size. They subtracted a quarter inch from each side. The top of the opening was the house's sill...
  5. Pigrew

water in riser....how do i sweat solder?

The slow dripping out suggests that the valve that you used to shut off the water is not fully closing. Repair/replace that first. Then, I'd insert the end of a plastic tube into the pipe and use my mouth to siphon out the water. You cannot solder the fitting with water in the pipe near to where...
  6. Pigrew

Is my expansion tank dead?

Good point, however I think that I misspoke slightly. As I was pumping in air, there was a point that the pressure went back down to zero..... and then I gave up at turned on the water. I hadn't taken it off of the plumbing at that point, so I can't say if it had been filled with water or not...
  7. Pigrew

The tank was quite dead, and has been replaced. I think that some rubber, or perhaps sediment, was blocking the Schrader valve and the inlet, so that I could not pump up the tank, but also water had not entered the tank. Once I depressurized my water lines and tried very hard to inflate it, the...
  8. Pigrew

Bladder tank; It is a ST-5. I wonder if my pump is just incompatible with the tank's valve, the plastic of the pump's head bumps into the tank, and perhaps prevents the valve to be opened enough for it to be pumped up.
  9. Pigrew

Hi, I've noticed that (1) Air doesn't come out of my expansion tank when I press in the valve core of the Schrader valve and (2) When I try to pump up the tank with a hand pump, no air goes into the tank. I was doing the pumping while the water pipes were pressurized. The water in my house has...
  10. Pigrew

Rough In Vent Stack

I'm a newbie at this, but I'd wonder what the horizontal distance is between the sinks and the soil stack. My understanding is that there is a maximum horizontal distance between the p-trap and the soil stack (which depends on the local code). Also, (please correct me if wrong), but there is no...
  11. Pigrew

Replace iron fittings with brass?

Hi, In my house, I have a rusted iron tee fitting in the potable water supply (to the kitchen). The iron fitting is 1/2 in and has one end going to a sillcock (chrome-plated brass???), the other two connected to brass (or maybe copper?) adapters to flared copper pipe. My first inclination...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks