Search results

1. Stephenson

Water pressure related to refrigerator inlet valve leak?

Hi All, I have not been on the site in over a year - I am saddened by Terry's passing. I have a sort of plumbing related question that I'll bet someone has some idea of ...neighbor gave me a nice refrigerator with a bad control board. Troubleshot the board to the power relay for the...
  2. Stephenson

Is there a reinforced PVC toilet flange?

Hi All, I continue to have the occasional split PVC flanges in a couple of rental houses - pita to notch and remove and reglue only to have the same thing happen a couple of years later ... and, yes, I try to tighten the nut appropriately - not overtightened. I don't do a lot of this type of...
  3. Stephenson

VERY strange toilet noises

Rental house that tenants just vacated ... I think this must have been like this for some time ... whoops can't post video ... when filling the Corky valve sounds like an angry goose, maybe even an elephant. Anyone run into this, before? And, I worked on a couple of other issues over a two...
  4. Stephenson

Rinnai RL94e - inside controller died - is it really needed?

Hi All! Subject tankless installed in 2018 - so may still be under warranty. When I bought house two years ago, I reset to 140°F using dip switch process. The inside, wired controller (MCC-91-2W) stopped working two days ago (lights went out) - grabbed the manual, did some online reading...
  5. Stephenson

What is this - PEX with steel crimp rings?

Hi All, Haven't been doing many home remodels recently, but found a place I might want - couple of odd things, and have some concerns with supply piping. At least one bathroom has copper supply out of the back wall under sink - and toilet supply pipes are visible as copper, as well. House...
  6. Stephenson

Advice on Handheld Shower Head with Bar ...

Hi All, Finally getting to short hairs on the shower - started new thread since the question was pretty simple and unrelated to actually plumbing, but more to product. I installed a Moen 3669EP bar and handheld a few years ago and like it - if I remember, chose it because it had good ratings...
  7. Stephenson

Do I need a pressure tank?

Hi All, Back at the lake and have a pump/pressure tank question. My 3/4 HP StaRite SND-L pump (about two years old - the last one cracked after some idiot didn't properly drain it for the winter)(me) is about 12' above the lake level with another five feet under water to the suction point. It...
  8. Stephenson

Preferred niche manufacturer or build it yourself?

Hi, Have a separate thread on the same shower install, but this is such a specific topic, I thought it might be better to ask via another thread. There are several manufacturers of prebuilt niches, some require attachment to framing, some don't. Some have fabric pre connected and some don't...
  9. Stephenson

Killed the tub ... long live the shower!

Hi All, Finally got to the master bathroom on our current remodel in north Florida ...wife said she hated the corner "garden tub" ... so, tore it out (including the 300 pounds of concrete under it ... no kidding ... at least 300 pounds ... 6 hours of drilling and jackhammering with an...
  10. Stephenson

TPR oddly piped - code?

Hi All, Just replaced a gas water heater with electric - short story of why convert to electric: 1. Gas in this area (Pensacola, FL) is very expensive compared to most areas 2. About $18 a month of overhead fees to maintain the access 3. Gas Water Heater is the only gas appliance (other...
  11. Stephenson

20 year old natural gas HWH replacement options

House is in northwest Florida ....$23.68/Mcf ...plus base charge of about $11/month. Just bought the house ...gas HWH is past normal longevity. Other than a never used gas log set im the fireplace the HWH is the only gas appliance. Interestingly, the HWH still has a functioning heat recovery...
  12. Stephenson

Delta Lucite and fixture colored to Brushed Nickel - Options or Leads?

Hi All, Have a 1995 house with plastic handle for the shower valve and fixture colored valve "sleeve" and escutcheon. Shower arm and and head are also plastic coated to match shower. Has anyone been through this and found a "kit" that replaces the plastic handle, escutcheon and the valve...
  13. Stephenson

Fiberglas or cultured marble in rental house

Hi All, Closing on an 1800 SF house IN Pensacola, FL in three weeks ...bought it right (HUD)but it needs a complete redo in the master bath ...has two sinks, drop in Fiberglas corner tub and Fiberglas shower enclosure - pretty standard builder grade stuff. I was thinking either simply...
  14. Stephenson

Need to confirm solution for CI flange that is too high

Demo'd 1960s bathroom with thick mortar base on floor tiles. Knew the flange would end up too high - test fit of toilet shows it is - just rocks on top of the flange. CI is 4" with usual caulked lead flange. New tile job is completed and under it. Was gonna drill out and remove the lead and...
  15. Stephenson

Lake water pump cracked housing - trying to determine best option with changed needs

I am a bit out of my general knowledge zone ... bought a small lake house three years ago so still learning in-outs of winterization (Smith Mountain Lake a bit south of Roanoke, Virginia). I drained the pump for the winter, but had previously noticed stress cracks in the iron pump housing...
  16. Stephenson

DWV (venting) question

Getting ready to close in bathroom remodel, after having moved all the fixtures. Bathroom is on second floor and was previously serviced by a stack with several vent connections supporting the this bathroom and several fixtures downstairs connected into the vent stack in thus bathroom. Due...
  17. Stephenson

Drop in acrylic tub placement against wall - would resemble alcove?

Finally got the tub in (Kohler Underscore) - limited by space available, so is 30"x60" ...can be undermounted or drop in or perhaps even push against the outside wall. Wanted to wait till I laid eyes on it to make sure, but it is VERY straight on sides and ends ... and there is about 3"...
  18. Stephenson

1/2" or 3/4" tub valve?

We don't like the handles Kohler offers for tubs ... trying to stay with Kohler because wanted 3/4" so would fill as fast as possible ...begs the question ...how big a deal is it, really, between the two sizes in real world usage? We are on well with pressure tank and don't have pressure issues...
  19. Stephenson

3/4" or 1/2" thermostatic valve

In a previous post I asked about using a transfer valve for three fixtures in shower ...wife finally decided she only wanted two (shower and a separate hand held) so we shifted from using a transfer valve to using separate volume valves, but local plumbing supply house is telling her she doesn't...
  20. Stephenson

Pressure balancing manifold for shower head and handheld sprayer out of CPVC?

So, framing for shower going up this weekend ...will be laying out for wall shower, ceiling shower and handheld. I can probably build the manifold out of copper, but was considering CPVC since the 3/4" supply is CPVC. Has anyone done this? Thanks!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks