Search results

1. Prashster

Pressure Reducing Valve Sweating?

Thanks for all those responses. I really appreciate it. I've ordered a new valve. It's a threaded union on both sides, so I doubt it was heated during installation...
  2. Prashster

Thanks, All. This has been happening over the span of several seasons at least. I only discovered the problem this Spring. But it's leaked about a gallon since then (I'm catching everything in a bucket). I was hesitant to fix bkz I figured it was condensation. But nothing else is...
  3. Prashster

I have a PRV just inside the main water shutoff of my house. I do not have an expansion tank. Recently, the PRV has started 'sweating' and driping. I took it apart and cleaned the gaskets, thinking it was that. But it's actually oozing out of the brass itself. How can this happen...
  4. Prashster

Re-soldering question from a DIY'er

Are you serious? I don't understand the point of your sarcasm except to say, "I'm a pro, you're an idiot." I meant 'supercleaned' as 'cleaned well'; even the slightest bit of oxidation or dirt has impeded (for ME) a good solder joint.
  5. Prashster

Re-soldering question from a DIY'er

From my own meager experience: Solder will stick to solder AND copper just fine, provided it's all supercleaned and fluxed.
  6. Prashster

Bathroom light/fan operate separately

I'm missing something in your diagram or in the responses given so far. IF your fan has a black and a red, then one powers the light and one powers the fan. If both of those wires are making into yr switch junction box, then you just have to wire one switch's load side to the red, and...
  7. Prashster

Fluidmaster..won't completely flush

I had the same problem on a valve I recently replaced; I was similarly already dialed to 9. These 2 things solved the prob: 1. I adjusted the float to stop at a higher water level. In addition to adding more water to the flush, it adds more force to the initial release of water into the...
  8. Prashster

best paint

flat hides better but semigloss stays clean longer. Eggshell is usually viewed as the best homeowner compromise. Personally, I like the 'scrubbable flats'. Benjamin Moore has something called Matte which is my personal fave, but SW and other co's have analagous products.
  9. Prashster

Ejector Pump Venting

Since you're not ejecting waste anymore, your twp might view the pit as a greywater pump, which I don't believe has the same sealing requirements for health, and hence would allow you to vent in your basement. Check with yr twp.
  10. Prashster

1/2" copper pipe swelling

Thank you all for yr posts. I heated the pipe and managed to make the repair. We're watching it closely; it's easily monitored. Worse comes to worst (he's prepared) we'll call in a pro.
  11. Prashster

1/2" copper pipe swelling

After cutting out a leaking section of 1/2" copper pipe in my bro-in-law's laundry room, we discovered one of the mating sections is no longer 1/2". The stub going into the floor has swollen so it won't fit into any adapters. I believe it has swollen because my b-in-law confirms that water...
  12. Prashster

Poor irrigation pressure

A friend of mine has very poor pressure for his residential irrigation system. He's on public water. The county refuses to raise the pressure to the house. He's using a pump and auxiliary tank to boost pressure to the system. The pump's in his basement and is loud despite various attempts...
  13. Prashster

Musty basement

Does the paneling have insulation behind it? Replacing the paneling and (if any) insulation will immediately make a difference. The humidifiers will delay the recurrence. I'd drain the dehums directly into your sump (if any). Else you'll be doing a lot of up and down the steps draining...
  14. Prashster

Musty basement

Is the floor currently carpeted?
  15. Prashster

Sweating simple valves

I'd advise practicing. Soldering is daunting (albeit EXTREMELY rewarding) and if you don't have a lot of extra pipe to snip off, you might cost yrself some headaches. Search this forum for soldering technique and you'll find more than you care to know. Know a couple things: 1) Yr...
  16. Prashster

Drilling thru Rock and Cement

Drilling 18" and drilling through rock (vs concrete) is probably gonna be too much even for a corded hammer drill. What you need is an SDS Max Rotary Hammer. You can rent a Bosch or Hilti from BORG for about $50/ 4 hrs. This will allow you to either drill deep, clean holes and to even chip...
  17. Prashster

Urine odor from toilet-Please help!

While we're on this subject... I've been training my 3-year old son to pee while standing. His 'pee-pee' just barely peeks over the lip of an opened toilet. This implies a very shallow pee angle which does not hit the water, but the opposite side of the bowl. Talk about splash. Now...
  18. Prashster

Sanitary napkins and ejector pumps

They are using septic-safe sanitary napkins, though, which are supposed to break down in water. So is anything safe for septic safe for an ejector pump? Actually- my wife corrected me: it's septic-safe baby wipes. Are THEY ok to flush in a sewage ejector?
  19. Prashster

Sanitary napkins and ejector pumps

The host husband and wife of a party I attended yesterday almost had a blowout fight over whether their newly installed basement bathroom can handle women's sanitary napkins. They have a septic system and they only use septic-safe napkins. The wife's friends all tell her you shouldn't do it...
  20. Prashster

Urine odor from toilet-Please help!

I don't believe yr prob is due to toilet backwash. If there was a blockage downstream or in the vent, it's possible the toilet would not flush completely. But you'd notice that. After the signature 'chugalug' when the last of the waste water has evacuated the bowl, the only thing entering...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks