Search results

1. Steve29

Radiant for new slab_need advice for an easy cheap way to supplement F/A htg in 3 rms

Sorry for this late response, Dana - thank you very much for your help!
  2. Steve29

Radiant for new slab_need advice for an easy cheap way to supplement F/A htg in 3 rms

Excellent tips, thank you. I'll look into EPS instead of XPS - I had thought that EPS shouldn't be used underground, that XPS was the only way to go. You mention a heat exchanger - why not have just a water heater dedicated to this radiant system, so no exchanger? Also, do you have a...
  3. Steve29

Thanks for the input! I'm unsure about the barrier, though. We will need to bring in fill material to bring our elevation up a bit before pouring. In order for a barrier to keep the soil dry, it would have to be under the compacted fill, not just under the insulation. Right? We do plan on...
  4. Steve29

We are building a two-story home at 4500' elevation in Northern AZ (zone 4 to 5). We'll have a ducted, 6-ton geothermal F/A system, but would like to add comfort to three of the downstairs, slab-on-grade rooms by adding a simple, low-cost radiant system (the footers will be poured in a week or...
  5. Steve29

New house! Eternal heater w/ solar preheat?

I love the wine cave! We live in a passive solar house of our design, also with tons of mass (including a small earth-coupled wine room) so, like you, we appreciate mass and nighttime cooling. And yes, for this new house in Sedona we are planning for a whole-house fan. We just don't have much...
  6. Steve29

Here's a breakdown for the amount of glass we have planned: of the entire exterior (vertical) surface of our house, 65% is insulated walls, 28% is insulated-glass windows and 7% is butted-glass windows. So it's 35% glass right now. Yes, I entered into Taco real glass U values of .355...
  7. Steve29

Was your $3000 estimate excluding whatever controls, pumps, manifolds, check valves, and heater that we'll need? (Shows my ignorance - I'll have to spend some time looking into radiant systems) Correct, my gyp cost of $6200 was just for the gyp. If we did gyp, we expected to tile over it, as I...
  8. Steve29

Thanks for the info, and for your vote! Shoot, just when I was getting radiant out of my mind.... (And here I thought Californians didn't care about heating.) You've probably gathered we have a slab downstairs (not a basement, it's just the first level), so what do you suppose our cost could be...
  9. Steve29

Dana, our Taco load results are intimidating compared to the numbers you've tossed around: 115KBTU/hr cooling, 109KBTU/hr heating. Despite the ton of detail we put into it, I'm not sure how correct they are, as I get no change to the cooling load when I add a huge overhang (to simulate exterior...
  10. Steve29

Excellent summary of singles vs a multi - thanks! I didn't realize the 3" lines were carrying refrigerant. I'll look into wall vs ceiling mounts and continue on the Taco expedition (am a little nervous of what it'll tell us....)
  11. Steve29

Thanks for the above info, and the really helpful links! BTW, we’ve been working very hard on the Taco load analysis, and still have more to do before we have some numbers that are (hopefully) believable. (It’s all your fault, Dana, because you had different recs depending on our heating and...
  12. Steve29

Thanks for the great info, Dana! I've downloaded Taco and will use it instead. I'd say Sedona is more of a zone 4 than 5, since Nebraska, Denver and Chicago are 5's. Sedona is 5-10 degrees warmer than Denver. So maybe a 4.5 at most? Fascinating info on the R value vs. temps, time, etc. And...
  13. Steve29

Thanks again, Dana - great stuff, and very clear! I've tried to absorb your 8/29 reply. Based on your comments re setups that would work best with certain heating and cooling loads, we're now trying to figure out those BTU/hr numbers. Do you have a recommended program? (preferably free!) I am...
  14. Steve29

OUTSTANDING info, Dana, thanks so much! I'll re-read tonight, and absorb, and try to figure out some of those things, and terminology, that are confusing. I wonder if you also have knowledge of proper installation/design for radiant barriers. Walls and roof, with roof being the most...
  15. Steve29

Steve Dana, thank you, you are a wealth of information! I am jjwest29’s dad, and it’s our house he’s helping with. I really appreciate your willingness to put down such great advice. Even though the size of our Sedona house has gotten out of hand, we ARE low-energy people who did things...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks