Search results

1. Sjm133

Water Heater Gas Connection

Excellent. Glad I asked. So as I mentioned at first, I'm looking at replacing my 32k BTU with a 40k. Will this affect any of this piping?
  2. Sjm133

It's Natural Gas. That little silver plate on the top reads "Max Pressure 10 PSIG". Also, those yellow bands, one around vertical line and one on top of the doo-hickey, both read "2 PSIG GAS".
  3. Sjm133

I guess the basis of my question was regarding that round doo-hickey in the line leading into the valve in the photo. What is it? The top image shows an option of flex line or solid line with the the drip leg and no round doo-hickey.
  4. Sjm133

I'm back again with another gas WH replacement question regarding the gas connection to my (potentially) new WH. I've seen several pictures, videos, etc of making the connection from incoming gas line to the WH gas valve and noticed variations in how they're piped. The attachment shows the...
  5. Sjm133

Replacing Gas WH Questions

Alright. Here's the official word from the city. The two lines, drain pan and T&P valve, can only be connected together if they are run with 1 1/2" lines. Otherwise, either 1) run them separately, 3/4" for T&P and 1" for drain pan or 2) this one really gets me, simply plug the drain line...
  6. Sjm133

So you're saying regardless of what the code or city says is acceptable I should have two separate drain lines; one for the drain pan and one for the T/P valve? The current T/P line is 3/4". City code says that the drain pan line must be 1".
  7. Sjm133

A basic layout of the room is attached. It's a single story home with no basement. WH is located in a laundry room with no in floor drain. I've looked at my local plumbing codes, which are just local adjustments to the 2009 IPC and nothing is noted about this in it. I think I may give them...
  8. Sjm133

So.... what happened to the replies from Terry that said "just tee them together...."?? As I said, I currently have no drain pan since it was not code when the house was built. I will add one when I replace my WH but have no way to plumb it to drain. I would have to rip my wall apart to run...
  9. Sjm133

I knew I shouldn't have typed that!! I can't remember where I read that, but I believe it was regarding the drain pipe attached to the valve, not the valve itself. Sorry for the confusion. The point I was trying to get at was that I wasn't sure of the force of whatever would go into that...
  10. Sjm133

Any suggestions as to the order? In other words, which line should contain the TEE, drain pan or T/P? Thanks.
  11. Sjm133

Yep, I got all of that. Just looking for reasons, both for and against, why connecting the two drains together is, or isn't, a good idea.
  12. Sjm133

Hopefully a "pro" will respond. I really don't want to tear my wall apart to add an additional drain. If there isn't much pressure when/if the T/P valve opens then I don' think there will be a problem with combining them. I checked my local building plumbing codes and didn't see anything...
  13. Sjm133

The WH is on a platform about 18 inches off the floor. The T/P drain goes into the wall at 14 inches off the floor. Now I could raise the platform a little more if needed. The T/P drain goes in the wall and then bends 90 degrees and travels about 8 feet inside that wall until it exits...
  14. Sjm133

Hi all, I have a 15 year old gas WH that's still running fine but I know the time is coming to replace it and I'm starting to formulate my game plan for it. The WH is original to the house and at the time it was built drain pans were not in the code so it doesn't have one. Now when I replace...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks