Search results

1. Jm66208

Remote thermostat for electric water heater.

Plumbing a carriage house that will get random use, and was thinking a remote thermostat for the water heater would avoid having to flip the breaker off/on each time it is being used. I know I've seen them before, but I cant seem to locate one. Not interested in anything WiFi, just a wall...
  2. Jm66208

Dual water heaters

Checking for current opinions on dual water heaters. Parallel vs series. Replacing two 40 gal n/g heaters for 4 plex. Currently plumbed in parallel. I've monitored them & one is definately doing most of the work. I'd like to plumb the new ones in series, setting the first one at about...
  3. Jm66208

Hoffman valve on 2 pipe steam?

...and its leaking. Question is should it even be there? There is a real lack of knowledgeable boiler people in these parts, so you never know what you will run into.
  4. Jm66208

Whatsit? 3/8" copper from radiator

Doing a bath demo and about to remove the radiator. This radiator has a 3/8" copper line teeing off the return line, just below the trap. What is it, and will cutting & capping it temporarily affect the system? Thanks!
  5. Jm66208

Vent exit horizontally through gable?

Im doing a bath remodel (full gut) in an 80 y/o 2 story house. Bath was added at some point in the past, and none of the drains were vented. House has a 12/12 pitch slate roof. Can i run a vent out horizontally through the gable wall, up as high as i can get it?
  6. Jm66208

Balancing pumped hot water system

...in a hot water system. 3500sf house. A couple of the cast radiators have been replaced with fin tube radiators at some point in the past. One of them doesnt get hot. I'm guessing the pipes are rusted. (80 y/o two story house)
  7. Jm66208

Two water heaters in parallel

A four plex i looked at has two 40 gal water heaters plumbed in parallel supplying hot water to all four units, plus two wash machines in the basement. One water heater needs replacing. Tennants have always complained about lack of hot water. Im looking at options to improve the situation...
  8. Jm66208

Preferred way to plumb double bowl kitchen sink

...with only one trap. Will have disposer. Never really settled in on favorite way to do this. Some designs are noisy on the non disposer side. Others cause water to come up other side.
  9. Jm66208

Tricks to clear rusty floor drain trap

Any tricks? I can get a 1/4" cable through thetrap, but thats it. It drains, but barely.
  10. Jm66208

Fishing PEX through old pipe runs

I am replacing some rusted galvanized water lines vertical up through an interior wall. I was thinking of pulling a string down through the wall when I remove the old pipe then attaching the strings somehow to the PEX to help guide it through the previously drilled holes. I was wondering if...
  11. Jm66208

Passive hot water recirculating loop

Came across this setup today in a ranch house where there is a hot water loop around the perimeter of the basement returning to the tank drain. There is no pump or check valve in the system. Homeowner reports excellent performance with the system with instant hot water to all fixtures. Only...
  12. Jm66208

Aquapex with crimps? What's current?

I've started using the Upnor system, but what do I do when faced with a repair or modification of a non-upnor pex system? Can I use crimp rings or sharkbite with the upnor pex? Are there "transitional" fittings available? Do I still have to carry two types of tubing with me? Thanks!
  13. Jm66208

Irrigation system before or after PRV

For a residential installation. Incoming water pressure is about 90psi. I'm installing a PRV & am wondering if I should plumb the irrigation system before or after the PRV. I'm using a Watts U5B, which is a pretty high flow PRV.
  14. Jm66208

New toilet selection for double santee fitting.

Need to replace two toilets in back to back installation that uses a cast double san tee. 1920's house & both baths have been remodeled, except the original cast iron stack was left in place, and the old toilets.:confused: Room below has coved ceiling & ornate plaster moldings. I suspect...
  15. Jm66208

Moentrol service stops leaking

Just installed four moentrol valves with service stops, and every one has at least one stop that is leaking around the screw. Both leak on one. I pull the stops & cartridge to sweat, then flush & reassemble. When I turn the water on & open the stops, water leaks around the screw. Some just a...
  16. Jm66208

transitioning from galvanized to copper

Gonna tear out some old galvanized and replace with copper. Cant replace it all so I 'm gonna have a 3/4"galvanized to 3/4" copper transition. Figured I'd use a 3/4" brass threaded coupler off the galvanized pipe, then a 6" brass nipple, then a copper FIP to sweat fitting and continue on with...
  17. Jm66208

Brass vs. copper PEX fittings

Can someone explain the difference? Why choose one over the other. I see both being used out in the field.
  18. Jm66208

Acrylic bathtub recommendation

I've always used cast iron tubs but am considering using an acrylic one. It will be for an alcove tub/shower combo. It seems that the drop in & free standing tubs are nice quality, but when you look at the alcove tubs, they tend to be "builder grade". Any advice would be appreciated.
  19. Jm66208

American Standard two handle tub valve

American Standard two handle re-nu tub valve Anyone familiar with these? I believ it is a re-nu. Stem leaks at front seal where marked with red arrow only when water is running. Gasket at that point doesn't seem to be compressing when I tighten the cartridge. Seat on the body looks good...
  20. Jm66208

NG water heater supply connections

Been reading up on this trying to find out what method is most current. Current (failing) water heater has dielectric unions between galvanized nipples on tank and copper water lines. New water heater (American standard) has plastic lined galvanized nipples. Old dielectric unions look fine...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks