Search results

1. Kestrel

Kerdi Question

Hello gang - many thanks again for the help on this blog. Basement remodel almost done - nearing drywall. I'm planning on using a Kerdi drain, floor, curb and membrane for the walk-in shower stall, with tile over. Now their literature says to use regular drywall, but all of the installers (2...
  2. Kestrel

Hansgrohe iBox Universal

Thanks Terry!
  3. Kestrel

Hansgrohe iBox Universal

My basement remodel continues.... I got great advise here about my DWV system, and it's working great. I'm now roughing in the bathroom, and I'm trying to decide on a shower system. I'm leaning toward the Hansgrohe - a thermostatic valve with integral diverter to control a showerhead and a...
  4. Kestrel

Help with slow leak

Genius! HJ you were right! I used the kid's bubble juice - and found the leak - AND it was in the test equipment. I have a taped, threaded joint between the schrader valve/pressure gauge and the sharkbite fitting on the end of the pipe, and it's making bubbles like crazy. I'll report back...
  5. Kestrel

Help with slow leak

Oh - good idea - that stuff has glycerin in it, and is more tenacious - and I know we have some - I'll try it. thanks
  6. Kestrel

Help with slow leak

Terry - that's helpful, and in fact, when I first set it up, I did indeed find a soldered joint - one in an awkward position that I knew I was not as graceful making in the first place. It was audible and sputtering at 20-25 PSI. I took it apart, cleaned it up and resoldered, and its quiet...
  7. Kestrel

Help with slow leak

I have a slow leak in some sweated copper. I'm replumbing part of my house - part of a new boiler install and hydronic system. I've started to test for leaks in my work, and on a complex part of the project, going from 1" -> 3/4" -> 1/2" with branches off each, totaling about 40' long...
  8. Kestrel

Stainless to copper connection

Oops - sorry. thanks for the link.
  9. Kestrel

Stainless to copper connection

Hi gang - a simple question: I have a new, dual coil indirect tank (Lochinvar SDT-065) that I need to hook up (this is a DIY project - don't throw too many tomotoes!). Anyway, the connections to the tank, for both the coils as well as the DHW/DCW are steel, female pipe thread. This is getting...
  10. Kestrel

Basement Insulation

Dana, Thank you so much for the wealth of information! To help me understand, I've drawn some pictures (see below). The first is just the wall as presently constructed (showing shingles which are not yet applied, though) The second shows two possibilities as I understand your discussion...
  11. Kestrel

Basement bath/laundry

I'm not insisting on anything - I'm just trying to learn. I suppose I come up with some of these strategies because I don't like concrete work, and I'm trying to minimize it. It's dusty and dirty, the debris is heavy - I just don't enjoy doing it as much as framing or running pipe or installing...
  12. Kestrel

Basement bath/laundry

Thanks everyone - expert advice much appreciated. The other day I posted a diagram that was generally well received, including wet venting a lav into the toilet drain. A detail of that drawing is below. I'm trying to understand - it's OK to take a lav drain and drop it down the toilet's...
  13. Kestrel

Basement bath/laundry

Would this work?
  14. Kestrel

Basement bath/laundry

Drat. Is that because the laundry hook-up makes the shower a wet vent?
  15. Kestrel

Basement bath/laundry

Hello again wise plumbers... As I've posted recently, I'm in the starting stages of a basement remodel, to include a new bathroom. To do so requires an ejector, and some other concrete cracking/excavation - for the toilet and shower, at least. In an effort to minimize the concrete work...
  16. Kestrel

Ejector Tie-In

The vent was not shown for clarity/simplicity. My understanding is that ejectors require their own dedicated vent - so the 2" vent is going up a separate route to the roof, 2 stories above. I puzzled over that for awhile, also over tying in the vents for the WC, lav, shower and laundry as well...
  17. Kestrel

Ejector Tie-In

Thanks for all the input, everybody. (This forum, and 'heatinghelp.com' have been invaluable for a DIYer like myself.) Anyway, the combo-wye that transits the basement wall is cast iron. The stack pipe from this fitting upward is PVC. When I opened up the basement walls a few weeks ago to...
  18. Kestrel

Basement Insulation

What about this: -1/4" fan-fold on the exterior, under the cedar shingles. -within the 2x6 cavity, 3" XPS, R15. -within the 2x4 cavity, 3.5" FG, R13 Total R for the whole assembly would be about R=30 (including <1 R for the various plywood layers. At 20' design temp, there is a 48'...
  19. Kestrel

Basement Insulation

Dana - thank you! As you suspect, I cannot really accommodate a full inch on the exterior of the pony wall, though 1/4 might be do-able. (I've already got the building paper up - can it go on the exterior of this?) What I meant by the layering I described was a description of a possible...
  20. Kestrel

Ejector Tie-In

Thanks - Enlightening as always!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks