Search results

1. Geniescience

Soundproofing around a shower?

dlarrivee has the right focus. One thing I'll add is that airtightness can help too, so John W is onto something. cacher hope this helps.
  2. Geniescience

easy heat floor heating system

Toasters have resistance wire that heats. It gets REALLY hot, and almost never breaks, considering the use. Baseboards have resistance wire that heats. It gets REALLY hot, too. I'm not aware of baseboards failing at any big rate. Floor heat is resistance heat just like this, and it doesn't...
  3. Geniescience

Can I Use Any Thin Set

if it all comes out into the open, ultimately it will put Terry Love under a lot of pressure to delete it; i.e. "cease and desist". Just double check with the manufacturers of the products you are considering. Don't overthink things. There are millions of membraned showers that were...
  4. Geniescience

Can I Use Any Thin Set

It's worse than that. John W is being very soft in his criticism. They are willing to steer someone the wrong way in order to protect their sponsor membrane.
  5. Geniescience

Can I Use Any Thin Set

Since kerdi requires thinset on both sides, why not use thinner substrate instead of the exact same thickness? I don't get it. The way you are planning it, your tile + thinset + keerdi + thinest will be thick, on a 5/8" thickness.... And this is because you want it to line up?? Btw, what are you...
  6. Geniescience

Installing cement board behind my shower

J Whipple has good points. He makes it clear when he hammers his point home. Over the last year I have seen John Whipple's posts honing in on several weaknesses in both Kerdi AND in the JB forum's systemic bias preventing the alternatives to Kerdi from being considered as reasonable. John...
  7. Geniescience

which waterproofing system for new shower?

No money is changing hands, to make you a paid Schluter-ite. That's my take on it. The best promoters are unpaid, as they are believers. Over the years you've been happy to write time and again all that the JB forum and Schluter have been leading you to think. The JB forum is not all that pure...
  8. Geniescience

thinset won't stick to drywall compound. Good point! Does Schluter write a lot of tips about this? I think not. Schluter is the one who is leaving things out, and running fast and footloose. I cannot imagine Schluter writing that one might put drywall on a curb and then thinset kerdi to...
  9. Geniescience

vents

Handling snow on roofs is not hard. There are millions of houses with vents and with snow on the roof too.
  10. Geniescience

Liquid roller-on paint-on is a good option for you. There are a lot of internet posts loving Kurdi, Kirdee and Kerdi. Go figure. In real world there are many other membranes. Go figure. I'm eager to know what swayed you after first leaning towards... K.
  11. Geniescience

Do I have this kitchen sink move correct?

1.5" pipe self scours better than 2". Trap arms are 1.5" Don't think 2" is better.
  12. Geniescience

vents

you = efs or = me? efs is in Connecticut. Snow happens in many places. jimbo, consider deleting this post and your post.
  13. Geniescience

plumbing in my new masterbath

efs, fix the big things. That is what you do now. The big thing is the one thing about the fixture cross. So what if the inspector overlooked it. If you left it, you would have all the potential and real problems of S traps. S traps: sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's not. Why not...
  14. Geniescience

vents

post size of vent and whether this is the only vent. efs, please add detail. In other web forums I have read that one of your two vent stacks has been cut off from the outside and turned into an AAV. This might be serious. key words for web search to find other threads about your...
  15. Geniescience

the two wires that can appear not to go through a stud are OK because the stud is offset by an inch. This is visible at the floor plate.
  16. Geniescience

it's level, unsloped, in a trap arm. One or both. From what I can make out by seeing the photo, the arm needs a 1/4" slope which is missing. Without the slope your pipe collects a lot more gunk than with the slope. Then it drains slowly. When the cross gets cut out and replaced this too...
  17. Geniescience

Basement shower drain

John Whipple is right in this case, and HJ is wrong in this case.
  18. Geniescience

Basement shower drain

A liquid trowel on membrane like Redgard (and others) can be good for you. Read the Redgard site. You don't need to go down and open up space for weepholes when you use Redgard (and others like it.).
  19. Geniescience

Master Bathroom Venting

Draw 3D so that it makes sense what is up and down, left and right, seanmmcc1. See other drawings in other threads.
  20. Geniescience

Why bother Qudaffiduck, and ignore the real problem?

Gore Vidal said this too. About 30 to 40 years ago. He wrote good stuff when he dealt with reality instead of fiction. He wrote several times that the population imbalance in the world was going to be a serious problem, that Asia would end up owning America, and that Japanese car makers would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks