Search results

1. Kstuart

Old Shower - puddles because drain is now above bottom

Some more web searching turned up several other people with the same question - and no answers to any of them - including one old post in this same Forum. But, I finally found something online that references an issue of Popular Mechanics in 1982, where the question answers guy contacted a...
  2. Kstuart

So, I have done a number of web searches, and my current thought is to just get fiberglass resin, and fill and level the area where the water collects. Does anyone have any recommendations for which fiberglass resin to use? Also, what cleaner to use to prep before applying the fiberglass? Thanks!
  3. Kstuart

I pried the drain strainer off with a screwdriver, it was just pressed into the drain. That allowed some more water to drain, but not all of it (or even most of it). There is stilll a higher area at the drain edge than the wet puddle areas. Here is a picture without the strainer:
  4. Kstuart

How should the strainer remove? Turn counter-clockwise? Pry Up?
  5. Kstuart

"A one-piece often is put in place before the place is closed in, so may be too big to get inside." That seems likely. Here is a picture, note that the dark edge of the puddle (and elsewhere) is minerals in our water. A lack of perpetual water in the shower would make it easier to keep clean...
  6. Kstuart

Thanks, but no. The drain works fine, and the puddling occurs because the area is below the top of the drain. It's been like that ever since we bought the house.
  7. Kstuart

Thanks for your comment. The bottom is not flexing - I just think that it has slowly gone down in places over the years. I don't think there is an easy access to under the shower, so the practical fixes would hopefully be about applying something to the spot where the puddle is forming.
  8. Kstuart

Hi, A few years back I bought and moved into a house built in 1978 in a nice area. It was a foreclosure so a great price, but I received no information from the previous owner. I have replaced a lot of the fixtures, including installing a Toto Drake from the great information in this Forum...
  9. Kstuart

Screw head in hot water supply ??

This reminded me that the hot water heater was replaced several years ago, and the plumber also replaced an even older hot water valve at the time. So you are probably right. Over the winter, we were gone for a while and had the house winterized by a plumber who blew compressed air through the...
  10. Kstuart

Screw head in hot water supply ??

I can't figure this one out, so I am hoping that someone has an idea... Today, I turned the kitchen faucet to hot, and the flow slowed to a trickle. There was plenty of hot water at all other faucets, and no leak below the sink or under the house, so I removed the hot water supply to the...
  11. Kstuart

Snowbird - Black in rim wash when toilet unused several months

I am currently going back and forth between two entirely different houses in typical snowbird fashion (although in my case it is due to waiting for the housing market to pick up in order to sell our first house). One house has well water and a septic system, while the new house has city water...
  12. Kstuart

High Spout Faucet for Bathroom Sink ??

I did a lot of web searching, and the 4" centers Bar Faucet looks like the best option. Bathroom Faucets seems to be low, and Bar Faucets high as part of their designs - presumably Bar Faucets need to fill a Water Pitcher or Thermos, hence the high arc. So, since we don't use the drain plug...
  13. Kstuart

Do you mean replace the sink ? Would the one you are suggesting have a larger hole, because this has a center hole as well as the other two holes, and I could just do some decorative plugs in the other two holes. Or did you mean "single hole faucet" ?
  14. Kstuart

Hi ! As mentioned in previous posts, we moved to a new place (basic structure from 1979 with some modernizing). Anyway, my wife has decided that the master bathroom sink is too low (32 inch), but fortunately, before we had the thing ripped out, I inquired further and found out that only the...
  15. Kstuart

Use Chlorine (Charcoal) filter in Whole House Sediment Filter Housing ??

The previous house owner had installed a water softener and then removed it. The water softener was replaced by a flexible tube, and everything has 3/4 inch connections. It would be very easy install a G.E. or equivalent Whole House Sediment Filter Housing where the water softener used to...
  16. Kstuart

Winterizing - other than pipes ??

If I take off the caps of bottles of liquid - like shampoo - is that sufficient to allow the expansion of the liquid ? Or will the freezing liquid expand horizontally, even if the top is open ?
  17. Kstuart

Winterizing - other than pipes ??

Hello, I received some good advice in another thread, on winterizing my house while I am away for an extended time. I will likely have a local plumber drain the water, and put RV antifreeze in the traps and appliances. But what other effects might occur due to the house being frozen ...
  18. Kstuart

Need advice on winterizing house

Hello, I live in a small rural town where it can get down into single digits in winter. My house has the usual 3 br, 2 bath (both with shower), kitchen, dishwasher, washing machine. The water is provided by a well with an underground (submersible) pump and a pressure tank under the...
  19. Kstuart

What would you do in this situation ?

In terms of the pressure relief valve... ... after the events described in the first post were followed by some dubious diagnoses and actions, which ended up solving the problem mostly by chance, I asked around locally for plumber recommendations, and received one. I emailed him the same...
  20. Kstuart

What would you do in this situation ?

I am not trying to turn this into an argument, but yes, you are the one who doesn't know the answer.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks