Search results

1. Drewmcg

Hydrogen Sulfide?

Gary: At that last link in your post, it says: "[the dry chlorination] UNITS MUST BE INSTALLED AFTER PRESSURE TANK." Why is this? Is it because: (i) Chlorine would damage the butyl or vinyl in the tank? (ii) Chlorine injected ahead of the tank would cause iron, maganese, and sulfer...
  2. Drewmcg

Strange well/pressure tank problem . . . Missing Drawdown!

Yes (took me a while, though). You can download it from the NWGA.org website, I believe (it was published in their magazine). The relevant comparison is the field test, which showed a .75 KwH/day penalty with the CSV. .75 X $0.125 cents/KwH (SE Mich) = $2.81/mo, + 6% tax = $$2.99/mo. Thanks.
  3. Drewmcg

Well Tank Type / Size

Not to quibble, but if the landlord pays $500 for a quality 44 gal tank (plus installation), rather than $250 for a CSV + quality 4.4 gal tank, then the delta is $250. (I acknowledge that these figures might be off a bit.) In S.E. Michigan, marginal electricity costs 12.5 cents/KwH. I've...
  4. Drewmcg

Do I need to test for hydrogen sulfide? (rotten egg smell)

Okay, so I just double-checked, and the cold, untreated well water at the outdoor tap does seems to have less smell than the cold kitchen tap water. Since both source flow through the pressure tank, could this point to the softener as a possible contributor? Not sure whether the pump guy...
  5. Drewmcg

Do I need to test for hydrogen sulfide? (rotten egg smell)

I get a significant rotten egg smell from both my cold and hot water taps. This exists throughout the day (not just first thing in the morning). The smell is not overwhelming, but nonetheless bums me out. For example, I can take a shower without it bothering me, but if I lift a glass of water...
  6. Drewmcg

Well Tank Type / Size

I'm no expert, but doubt that fiberglass would be an advantage, given that quality metal tanks have linings to keep the water from ever touching metal. With most of these tanks, the water is in contact only with a butyl (if a quality tank) or vinyl bladder or diaphram. Of course, if you...
  7. Drewmcg

Mystery solved.... Given the fact that the system was holding pressure with no faucets open (and no evidence of a second check valve), I decided to re-examine my conclusion that the bladder on this Flotec-sourced Sears captive air tank was intact. I turned off the pump and ran a garden hose...
  8. Drewmcg

Still Rotten Egg smell after replacing aluminum rods

I don't see a hose bib before the pressure tank, so post-pressure tank but pre-softner.
  9. Drewmcg

I'm not an expert, but my research on captive air tanks indicates that normally the bladder holds water; not air (at least for metal tanks). See: http://www.inspectapedia.com/water/Water_Tank_Bladders.htm#Bladders . I'm back to thinking that there is some issue with the bladder, that has let...
  10. Drewmcg

Still Rotten Egg smell after replacing aluminum rods

So if I've got this right, if I get the "rotten egg smell" in my (cold, hard, untreated) water -- right out of the well -- then there's hydrogen sulfide in the well water in the ground (naturally occurring)? I get this even though I had my well shock chlorinated and re-tested with a result of...
  11. Drewmcg

Here's how: Open basement faucet until pump starts to run, then close; Let pump cut off (verify w/pressure dial at tank); Measure air at top of pressure tank/shrader valve (60psi); place one gallon bucket under faucet; fill one bucket at a time until pump kicks in, then stop flow right...
  12. Drewmcg

I think the problem is that IF there is a second check valve (closer to surface), and the PUMP check valve fails, then the pressure not falling would only indicate that the second (higher up) check valve is still working--but say nothing about the check valve @ the pump. If that (pump) check...
  13. Drewmcg

O.K.; checked the volume: 20" diameter X 26.5" height = 36 gallons. I'm still "missing" over 5 gallons of drawdown!
  14. Drewmcg

Hydrogen Sulfide?

Ksnakes: I'm interested in your setup. Can you post a picture? What type of feeder/injector? Do you use household (laundry) chlorine bleach? What do you use to filter the precipitated sulfide/iron? I have 2.6 ppm iron and rotten egg smell in cold & hot water (not just at beginning of the...
  15. Drewmcg

...but how do I know whether I need a new check valve? Thanks, Porky. That all makes sense to me, but here's the question: How do I know whether I need a new check valve? This is an old well, driven underneath the driveway of an old house, whose casing exits the ground in well room...
  16. Drewmcg

O.K., I've now checked my captive air tank using the instructions by valveman at his sticky "pressure tank maintenance" in this forum: "To check the air pressure in a bladder tank the power to the pump must be turned off. Then a faucet should be opened until water stops coming out of the tap...
  17. Drewmcg

Just moved into a house with an older well/tank, and have been trying to get up to speed. System was cycling constantly (lots of diming lights in the house). So: I had the tank re-pressurized to 2 lbs psi below cut-in (which was set to 30, with 50 psi cutout). That helped. I replaced a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks