Search results

1. Hotbacon

2" sewage check valve recommendation

I need to replace the check valve above our sewage ejector pump again (2nd time in 10 years). The first time the flapper had broken loose, thus defeating the purpose of the check valve. This time I'm just tired of hearing the loud banging and worrying what it's doing to the system. Can anyone...
  2. Hotbacon

prehung door install - floor level?

I'm installing a prehung door in a basement. When I check the floor for level in the rough opening, the hinge side of the opening is about 1/4" lower than the latch side. Most tutorials I've seen just say to throw the prehung door in the opening and fix the jambs as you go. However, if my...
  3. Hotbacon

Basement floor drain extender?

What is the typical way to raise a basement floor drain when a subfloor and finish floor are installed? I see the big boxes have floor drain extenders that will raise the drain 1/4" - 1/2", but they are for 3" drains. Sounds like this is for tiling a shower. My drain is 4" cast iron and...
  4. Hotbacon

sewage basin lid

Our basement had a bathroom rough-in and sewage basin installed when the house was built (~25 years ago). I'm in the process of finishing the basement now, and will have to replace the sewage basin lid as the current one is rusted and has no gaskets/grommets to make it liquid-tight/air-tight...
  5. Hotbacon

basement soffit - should I worry about sag?

I'm in the process of framing the soffits around HVAC ducts and plumbing in my basement using this website as a guide - http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Indoor-Projects/Basement/Basement-Finishing/how-to-finish-a-basement-framing-and-insulating/Step-By-Step#step5. My original plan was...
  6. Hotbacon

2 layers of insulation

I'm finishing my basement and came across an insulation question. I have a section of one wall that is a half poured concrete wall w/ a typical stud wall on top. I opted to build a new 2x4 wall in front of this section, to keep the wall uniform along it's length. The top 1/2 of the wall had...
  7. Hotbacon

Can a vanity drain be installed around a corner

Can the drain for a bathroom vanity go around a corner before connecting to a properly sized wet vent? i.e. - I want to put my vanity on a wall facing west, but the future wet vent that I have to tie into is on the north wall. This is all assuming that the distance between the vanity and the...
  8. Hotbacon

Basement bathroom vent - is this right?

I have a 2" pipe coming out of our basement floor going up to the roof, which I assume is intended to be a wet vent for the basement lav/shower/water closet. I plan to cap the shower drain (we don't need another shower), and tie into the 2" pipe to install the lav. Can I just tie into the line...
  9. Hotbacon

Deadlegs acceptable in residential water systems?

In my career, I have walked down a few pharmaceutical water systems and one of the requirements is that there are NO deadlegs whatsoever...since they could foster the growth of biofilm due to getting no/limited flow. What are the requirements/recommendations for residential potable water...
  10. Hotbacon

Help me figure out how these rough-ins are supposed to form the bathroom

I'm in the process of refinishing our basement, which luckily had the bathroom rough-ins laid under the concrete slab during the building of the house (23 years ago). The water closet rough-in is 13" from one wall, but right on a corner. See (crude) drawing below...
  11. Hotbacon

Capping a basement shower rough in

I am in the process of finishing our basement and would like to cap off the roughed-in shower drain in the basement of our 23 year old house. The current drain configuration consists of a 4" cast iron pipe w/ a 4" x 2" rubber donut/gasket installed, all underneath the concrete slab. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks