Search results

1. Hotbacon

2" sewage check valve recommendation

I need to replace the check valve above our sewage ejector pump again (2nd time in 10 years). The first time the flapper had broken loose, thus defeating the purpose of the check valve. This time I'm just tired of hearing the loud banging and worrying what it's doing to the system. Can anyone...
  2. Hotbacon

Soffit for basement ductwork

I built my soffits very similar to the way those I-beams are constructed - two 2x2s screwed into a strip of OSB. So they should work. Are all your soffit heights shallow enough that the I-beams will work? My soffits ranged in height, from 7" to almost a foot or so, depending on what I was...
  3. Hotbacon

The Most Time-Consuming Remodeling You Ever Embarked Upon

Finishing our basement (1,000 square feet, 6 rooms)...so far about 2 years. But only have the stair railing left to do. If only the kids' nap time was all day...
  4. Hotbacon

Professional rough-in

I have nothing of real value to add, aside from the fact that I'm a total novice at plumbing and can see this spiral drain would cause issues. For Tom, here's a craigslist ad for a plumber in Spokane with that plumbing license: http://spokane.craigslist.org/sks/3174449956.html
  5. Hotbacon

Basement bathroom where does it drain

If the main sewer line is head height in the basement, how would the basement tub drain up to it?
  6. Hotbacon

Basement floor drain extender?

Apparently my memory was way off. The grate of the floor drain is about 7 3/8" diameter (not 4"), and it fits inside the rim of the drain that is flush w/ the surface of the concrete slab. Under the grate is the drain and a cleanout...
  7. Hotbacon

prehung door install - floor level?

I ended up trimming 1/4" off the latch side jamb and it worked out perfectly. Typical example of me trying to overthink something rather than just going with my gut and doing it. Thanks for the help.
  8. Hotbacon

prehung door install - floor level?

I'm installing a prehung door in a basement. When I check the floor for level in the rough opening, the hinge side of the opening is about 1/4" lower than the latch side. Most tutorials I've seen just say to throw the prehung door in the opening and fix the jambs as you go. However, if my...
  9. Hotbacon

Basement floor drain extender?

What is the typical way to raise a basement floor drain when a subfloor and finish floor are installed? I see the big boxes have floor drain extenders that will raise the drain 1/4" - 1/2", but they are for 3" drains. Sounds like this is for tiling a shower. My drain is 4" cast iron and...
  10. Hotbacon

sewage basin lid

Our basement had a bathroom rough-in and sewage basin installed when the house was built (~25 years ago). I'm in the process of finishing the basement now, and will have to replace the sewage basin lid as the current one is rusted and has no gaskets/grommets to make it liquid-tight/air-tight...
  11. Hotbacon

kitchen sink mystery leaking

If the leak is coming from the p-trap, turning your supplies off will not stop the leak from occurring. The supplies provide water to the faucet. So, if you turn the supplies off, the leak would continue coming out of the trap until the water in the trap has drained to below the hole/exit...
  12. Hotbacon

No sealant at base of toilet?

Yes, that's common practice.
  13. Hotbacon

Running Vents through finished walls

laser or plumb bob? Edit - Sorry, just re-read your question and realize your issue now. Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer w/ that situation.
  14. Hotbacon

Basement Insulation

I have a very similar situation. I left the batt insulation in the exterior wall stud bays (on top of the concret wall), and put XPS on the lower concrete wall. I then framed out my interior 2x4 wall in front of that. The gap between the interior wall and the concrete + XPS is at most 1", and...
  15. Hotbacon

Dishwasher drainage problem

We just had the same issue recently. I checked all the hoses, cleaned out the basin, cleaned out the screens and confirmed in my head that there were no clogs. Called in GE repair and in 30 seconds, he reached his hand in the drain area inside the wash basin and pulled out a small piece of...
  16. Hotbacon

main 1/4" copper line done ice-maker

If I'm imagining your description correctly (based on this post and the question you added to another post), my refrigerator is the same. There is a 3-4' section of plastic tubing that is mounted to the back of the refrigerator. The supply connects to this tubing at the bottom and the water is...
  17. Hotbacon

basement soffit - should I worry about sag?

Maybe I should rephrase the question. I'm not so much concerned as to the amount of sag that will occur, as much as I am what the finished drywall will look like if the framing does sag. Therefore, will 6' 2x4 lookouts laid flat sag enough when drywall is installed to make the finished surface...
  18. Hotbacon

basement soffit - should I worry about sag?

I'm in the process of framing the soffits around HVAC ducts and plumbing in my basement using this website as a guide - http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Indoor-Projects/Basement/Basement-Finishing/how-to-finish-a-basement-framing-and-insulating/Step-By-Step#step5. My original plan was...
  19. Hotbacon

Ping! Heard after toilet install... are we in trouble??

Be sure to keep a close watch on the tank for several days. I had a hairline crack in the bottom of my tank once. I checked for leaks after filling it and saw nothing. Came back the next day to see a small puddle on the floor, but couldn't find any water drops anywhere on the toilet. Finally...
  20. Hotbacon

2 layers of insulation

I'm finishing my basement and came across an insulation question. I have a section of one wall that is a half poured concrete wall w/ a typical stud wall on top. I opted to build a new 2x4 wall in front of this section, to keep the wall uniform along it's length. The top 1/2 of the wall had...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks