Search results

1. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

You are so wrong. As usual, the workmen are screwing up. If I had been more involved and not dismissed by the professional plumber (who apparently ripped us off working laxsadasically by the hour), the plumbing closet could have been designed to shut the water to the house off with a water...
  2. SS

PVC & noise

Thanks all. I guess that's my safest bet for the long haul. If there's not much noise difference I should be fine with it.
  3. SS

PVC & noise

So we're at plastic will last longer than the thinner metal? That drain lost metal so that there was a hole in it and the sink couldn't be used. All I know is that it was metal. I remember it looking "rusty" ie deteriorated, flakey, falling apart, color change that I'm not sure had any...
  4. SS

PVC & noise

It's just the plumbing under the sink, not into the walls which I believe is fine. 1973. The bathroom sink trap did rust out at about 30 years. So if metal won't last another 30 and the noise will be the same I guess plastic makes sense. I can't go through more plumbing down the road. This...
  5. SS

PVC & noise

So chrome plated brass would not only look better but would reduce noise? I just don't like hearing that water through the drain on the washer. It's noisy and sounds cheap. I would hate that running through the walls. But then the brass will rust, as that's what happened before and the...
  6. SS

PVC & noise

The piping under the sink looked pretty thin to be cast iron. It was the older stuff that looked like chrome. Would that be chrome plated copper? The one bathroom the trap had rusted out. Is it really that much more expensive to do the chrome pipes just for the drain/trap area before it runs...
  7. SS

PVC & noise

I'm having some sink drains replaced (kitchen and bathrooms). I believe he said PVC. I have read that plumbing in the walls that is PVC can make for a noisy house. It was used to replace the washer drain and I do think this is a noisier drain now (on the living level). I'm wondering if I...
  8. SS

Hose Bibs

Plumber was going to replace the hose faucet with a loose key bib. Came home and he had installed a regular spindle handle. Can the handle be removed and a key used instead or does the whole darn thing have to be replaced with a different bib?
  9. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

Thanks for all the info plumber2011. The drawing was actually what one plumber had suggested (though I might have the curves wrong). I wouldn't have a clue what to do ; ) Was just wondering what the advantages of his plan are as no one else suggested such a thing. Thought it was an...
  10. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

Oh BTW there is an entertainment clause. Say what? Do you mean you charge per laugh?
  11. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

lol, cw. I think you're right I could even save some money flying someone in. He wanted $650 to do 5' of backerboard at the bottom of the closet. I'm guessing that's running about $200/hr. He does drywall, tile, etc. on his jobs which is why I was hoping his company could take care of the...
  12. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

lol, frightening stuff. Yes, you're right, the pipe is about twice as old as he is, at 22. ok, so maybe this isn't the plumber for me. He is still in training. He said he does pricing and the easier stuff like the water heaters, valves, etc. His dad does the more complicated jobs. This is...
  13. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

So much conflicting information. The guy who was here today says 1-1/2” standpipe is typical. The others said it should be 2” and that’s current Code. He’s not aware of the new washers not being able to drain adequately with a 1-1/2”. Doesn’t think each fixture needs its own trap installed...
  14. SS

Washer Standpipe Drain

Thanks, cacher & Steve : ) I always call a plumbing company not a handyman. However, the original hack from decades ago, who worked around the complex and set this up, turned out to be a handyman not a plumber. So the handyman lesson was learned long ago with a number of things he did...
  15. SS

Dishwasher Installations - Air Gaps

Thanks Genie, for the bottom line. I think I like John Lennon's version better ; ) Yes, I am a person of many questions, like to understand things and their pros and cons. Simply my nature, and an occupational hazard. Didn't seem like that many. But hey. Cutting to the chase with the...
  16. SS

Why do I read so many people having trouble with these things? Spewing with no apparent drain problem. There seems to be such controversy over them. It's to Code, so there shouldn't be any question what to do, but honestly, it sounds like they create a mess and aren't enforced across the...
  17. SS

This is what I read last night, which I thought was a good description of the two-fold contamination issues, with the water lines and the drain, and how each are addressed with separate air gaps and loops. 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM Andrew Buckwell Re: air gap in newer dishwashers...
  18. SS

I missed your post, Cacher. Thanks. ensure that you are immediately aware if the drain ever backs up. One is immediately aware how? Spewing on the counter? Sink full of water? Flooding on the floor? Is there an alarm? I never stay around the kitchen when the d/w or other appliances...
  19. SS

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen them installed around here. I guess, then, a water alarm is needed on the counter in order to catch things in time, as wherever the d/w is located it doesn't seem to really make a difference. Would there be any advantage to moving it back to the sink? It...
  20. SS

I understand a dishwasher air gap, on the drain side, protects unsanitary water from getting back into the dishwasher and contaminating dishes. My dishwasher is not next to the sink. It is in an island. It's about 12 years old and I will assume it has a high loop or built-in air gap to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks