Search results

1. Jgwalter

Branching to a New Gas Appliance

Thanks, Terry. I figured that was the case. I understand how to size the pipe, and I am pretty sure that the current 3/4 tee can adequately feed both dryer and cooktop via separate 1/2" branches. Since the tee is about 4 feet above the floor that it will go under and up to the cooktop, I...
  2. Jgwalter

Gary....I appreciate the warning, but the purpose of coming to this forum, is to gain some knowledge beyond what I would already consider myself to have, which is a competent level far above the average DIY'er. Part of that knowledge gain might lead exactly to what you recommend, hiring a...
  3. Jgwalter

Pressure Testing Back to Gas Meter

This might actually be a good solution for me, as two of the three current appliances are part of remodel projects in the near future. Unfortunately, I need to get the cooktop working before tackling the other projects. I just hadn't planned on repiping the entire house just to add a cooktop.
  4. Jgwalter

This is an alternative to the project plan that I referred to in my recent post about testing back to the gas meter. I need to add a branch line to a new gas cooktop. My initial plan was to cut into a 1" pipe near the start of the current gas distribution system, and create a new 1" branch...
  5. Jgwalter

I agree, although I am confident I could get it installed. Perhaps, it might take a couple of attempts, but if it tests OK, then it is OK. I found a source online for the parts, which is where the FAQ came from, but I could not seem to include the link in my post. It kept blanking it out, so...
  6. Jgwalter

Great advice on the union issue. At the bottom of this page (FAQ), there is a good explanation about the left-right technique: I suspect the real trick is get the measurement correct. "Any left- and right-hand tricks?" The trick for left- and right-hand fittings and couplings is to get...
  7. Jgwalter

What I meant, was after turning the gas off, to blow the residual out of the pipe with compressed air to lessen the chance of a fire when I cut through the pipe with a saw. Seems like a union is the only way to insert a tee into an existing run of pipe??? Correct me, if I am wrong. The...
  8. Jgwalter

Thank you very much. That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. The meter issues don't look difficult, except for dealing with the rusty parts. However, I like the 'JetSwet' idea the best. I can also use the removal of that plug to flush the system. I am also interested to know...
  9. Jgwalter

I suppose I could come off the capped tee in the photo, and go through the wall with a second branch feed. My first thought is that would be a little odd looking, but I suppose it would work just fine, although I am still faced with the same testing issue unless I install a valve?
  10. Jgwalter

I am cutting in to an existing run. In the photo, the pipe goes through the wall, and up the other side to the ceiling of an unfinished room. My plan is to cut that pipe, remove both ends, and replace it with a new section that includes a tee and a union. That tee will feed a new 1" branch...
  11. Jgwalter

I sort of agree. This rusty mess needs some cleaning and paint in any case. However, removing the meter is easy. The two connections directly above the meter box are ring nuts that tighten a hose-like connection. It has a rubber washer about the size of a common garden hose washer. Perhaps...
  12. Jgwalter

Here is a view of the meter. I need to make a change in the line just downstream from it (about 3 feet), cutting a tee into the 1" pipe, then branching from it to a new appliance. To pressure test the pipe, I need to remove the meter, I assume by its two mounts to the mounting hanger. My...
  13. Jgwalter

I need to pressure test a section of pipe. I can easily cap at the appliance ends, but need to know the method to cap at the meter end? Meter attachment is a union-type connection (with a rubber seal). What can I use to cap that point?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks