Search results

1. Austin83

TPR valve question

I know that in the past, if I didn’t open it up for several seconds that it would get debris in the valve and drip. I’ve learned to open it up for 5 seconds or so to flush any debris.
  2. Austin83

TPR valve question

I’ve got two hot water heaters at my house, and I recently noticed that each TPR valve acts a little different. On one of the heaters the valve flows water as the lever is operated, and it keeps flowing if the lever is pushed all of the way over opposite of it’s starting position (the water...
  3. Austin83

Replacing a hot water circulator

It circulates the hot water at my home. It is bronze according to the description for the new one on. Here is the exact one that I have. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Gossett-103252LF-1-25-HP-NBF-22-Bronze-Circulator-Pump-Lead-Free I tried the shut off valves already, they were tight, and...
  4. Austin83

Replacing a hot water circulator

I’m a DIY, and my hot water circulator started buzzing and causing noise in my pipes. Looks like I’ll be replacing it, and I’ve never dealt with a circulator or the flange connections it uses, and I wanted to consult with the experts before replacing it. I plan on swapping it with the same...
  5. Austin83

CPVC for TPR valve piping

Can I just use galvanized steel piping screwed into the valve, or even a copper type compression fitting?
  6. Austin83

Thanks for he suggestions, I've confirmed on the Watts site and Amtrol that my expansion tank is well over the size required. I've got two 40 gallon hot water heaters set at 130* with an incoming pressure of about 58 psi. I will add air to the expansion tank and monitor the leaky valve...
  7. Austin83

Expansion tank is okay. It was about 4 or 5 psi under what it's supposed to have, and I check its pressure annually. Is it safe to assume the TPR valve just needs to be replaced?
  8. Austin83

I've got an expansion tank due to a pressure regulator. Sorry, should have stated that.
  9. Austin83

I live in Texas, and I've got a TPR valve on my hot water heater that is dripping a couple drops every night. It currently has a copper discharge pipe coming off of it. I'm planning on replacing the leaky valve, but I'm not a plumber and I don't sweat pipes. Can I use CPVC for my discharge...
  10. Austin83

Installed too small of an expansion tank

I did adjust it according to my incoming pressure, but why does a tank with a pre-charge of 20 psi vs a tank with a pre charge of 40 psi affect the performance of the expansion tank? If I'm just going to increase the pressure to 60 psi anyway, why does it matter? It makes over a 2 gallon...
  11. Austin83

Installed too small of an expansion tank

One more expansion tank question, I swear! I just found out my expansion tank is too small. I installed a Watts PLT-12 expansion tank (4.5 gallon tank) a few months ago, and I decided on that one based on what I was told at the plumbing supply store and the Watts sizing chart for the PLT and...
  12. Austin83

Can I install an expansion tank on abandoned water softener loop?

After some consideration, I have decided to move my expansion tank from the attic to our insulated garage. There is an old water softener loop in the garage about 12 feet from the hot water heater (water softener was removed years ago by previous owner and loop was left). I have heard that an...
  13. Austin83

Insulation suggestions for expansion tank

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I don't have a choice with the design of the house, but I have all of the pipes wrapped up very well, and when the temp hits 30 degrees or below we slowly run the faucet in the northern exposed bathroom. We had a couple of pretty cold days and nights...
  14. Austin83

Insulation suggestions for expansion tank

What kind of insulation does everyone recommend wrapping around an expansion tank to prevent any freezing damage? I installed an expansion tank next to my hot water heater in the attic last year, and today I was looking through some papers, and I came across a small tag that came with the...
  15. Austin83

Hot water heater, replace based on age alone?

We have two 50 gallon hot water heaters (electric), one was replaced in 09, and the other one is a 03 model, and the 03 one just quit working today. We have a home warranty that came with this home, and I will use it to get it fixed, but is there a point where the heater should be replaced due...
  16. Austin83

Expansion tank size problem

I am getting a PRV installed due to high pressure coming into my house. I have two 50 gallon hot water heaters that are right next to each other and connected. The plumbing supply store has a 4 gallon, or a 20 gallon expansion tank, and they told me the 4 gallon expansion tank is for an 80...
  17. Austin83

Drainage issue

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I'm in the process of purchasing a new (to me) home. The inspection revealed that rain water was flowing down the neighbors yard towards the house. The inspection showed very minor upheaval in the center of the foundation possibly due to the poor drainage. He...
  18. Austin83

Can I use a Fernco coupling on this angle?

I'll try to find a way to get them lined up. If at a very last resort, how bad would a Fernco coupling be if I built up some support under it to keep it from being suspended? I'm not trying to find an easy way out, I just have limited space to fit under the house and both sides of the pipes...
  19. Austin83

Can I use a Fernco coupling on this angle?

I just happened to look under the house and find something that not only made me a little mad, but also made me chuckle. Someone was unable to get two sections of 4" PVC to connect due to a slight angle so they busted out some black duct tape. The section of 4" to the left in the picture is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks