Search results

1. Wrenched

Can a washing machine drain into the wet vent of a toilet?

There is no issue with the laundry and the lav using the wet vent. The wet vent section needs to be at least 2 inch diameter. wet vent requirements: https://www.buildingcode.online/1076.html wet vent sizing: https://www.buildingcode.online/1100.html Drainage Hydraulic loads...
  2. Wrenched

Drain Appears to Be Too High for New Sink - Question about Moving Sanitary Tee

Show us some pictures and maybe a dimensioned sketch, and we can give you our opinion on a best course of action. The process with ABS is mostly like you described: cut out a section of pipe with a hack saw or sawzall, clean/ream the pipe, install a new section of pipe. Solvent weld(glue)...
  3. Wrenched

No Hot Water - Only One Supply

Hi Brad. There are a number of problems that can cause symptoms similar to what you're seeing. I'll lay a few assumptions, ask a few questions, and then cover what I've seen most often. I assume you're in a medium size single family home (2-4 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 laundry), no recirc...
  4. Wrenched

Seepage Issue

What do you mean by "seepage"? It's most often used relating to ground water, but this sounds like something different. Is this a constant leak, an intermittent leak, or just moisture in the area? Whatever the case, the first step is to try to figure out what is causing the problem. This may...
  5. Wrenched

Yard/storm drain pitch question

This might be more of an engineering question than a plumbing question. 8"(200mm) is a good size pipe(very large for a backyard catch basin), close to as big as most plumbers work on. Projects that would need that size would usually be engineered. My code tables say it can handle a hydraulic...
  6. Wrenched

Necessity of Vacuum Relief Valve - Not Pressure Relief Valve

Hey Paulina, For what it's worth, it is industry standard and best practices here to install a vacuum relief valve(like a watts N36) on all hot water tank replacements. The city requires them(along with thermal expansion protection) on new builds and permitted renovations. The code simply...
  7. Wrenched

Help! I have little space between my drain pipe and the top of my counter top. How can I get a few e

Not really. Long-turn 90s are slightly better in a lot of cases, if the inspector will accept them. As long the bottom of the basket strainer is above the top of the trap arm it should be fine, though drain time may be affected. Again, I'll point out using a tail piece is not required...
  8. Wrenched

Mold in cold room

Hey Plumbingdeptsup, This isn't really a plumbing code question. Mods, if you see this, can this be moved to general discussion? Generally moisture, warmth, and organic materials will lead to mold. In a basement, issues with storm drainage can lead to moisture in the walls. Small leaks in...
  9. Wrenched

1/2" or 3/4" PRV?

Hey itsr-ent, I don't think it will make much of a difference at the faucet if your house is plumbed in half-inch, and the pressure drop across the PRV is 20+ psi. A 3/4" PRV might have ~20% less head loss, but that's irrelevant going from 120psi to 60 psi - the PRV is set based on...
  10. Wrenched

Help! I have little space between my drain pipe and the top of my counter top. How can I get a few e

Hey sbas, My code will be somewhat different from yours, which I think is based on the UPC, but I don't see any conflict between the code and the pictured solution(it should be to code). The long turn 90(two 45s are often used) absolutely creates better flow characteristics as well being easier...
  11. Wrenched

Backflow in landscape drain

Hello steadyhand, I'm not sure a backwater valve by itself would help in your situation. Although it would prevent water at the area where it is pooling from flowing back to your patio, the pooling water would also prevent the water from your patio from draining. I can't see the discharge...
  12. Wrenched

Plumbing washer and sink and standpipe

Hey Phantomvs, I'm a plumber from BC. The code is slightly different, but they are both based on the National Plumbing Code. The two-inch connection you describe, is that currently a stub? An issue that could come up is that the 3" pipe may not be a wet vent. A wet vent cannot have a toilet...
  13. Wrenched

Canadian Plumbing question ( indirect drain & new garage sink)

Hello Edmonton_david, The interpretation of the code is always up to the authority having jurisdiction( your local plumbing inspector). In practise discharges like the floor drain in your example are sometimes tied into the laundry stand pipe, though most often with a wye rather than a tee...
  14. Wrenched

Plumbing in basement exterior wall

Hey Luke, I don't think there are any code related issues for doing it either way(there are still right and wrong ways of piping the system). Most piping is run inside walls because it gives a cleaner look, and gives a bit more space. It does mean that any future changes will involve opening...
  15. Wrenched

PEX to Copper adapter in walls

Yeah, there's no issue with transitioning between code-approved piping materials in the plumbing code. You will to make sure the pipe isn't stressed, and isn't going to chaff against anything. Depending on the setup, it might be worth doing offsets, though that is more work. Depending on the...
  16. Wrenched

Two Pervs Make a Right?

There's nothing wrong with multiple PRVs in series (it's recommended for systems with 180psi+ pressure). In your two situations it's certainly hackish, but maybe its a solution. It will protect everything downstream of the new PRV, nothing upstream, and will make future trouble shooting more...
  17. Wrenched

Pipe locating

Hey Stevenlouis, as both Terry and hj have pointed out, line/leak detecting is an area of specialization even among plumbers. The equipment ranges from a few to several thousand dollars and requires a significant time investment to become skilled using it. A simple leak detection can take an...
  18. Wrenched

Hello sbas, I think throwing together some dimensioned drawings might help us be sure we're talking about the same things. I'm away from my computer, but hopefully this sketch will be clear. The proposed piping layout is probably the more common way of piping a kitchen sink. The challenge...
  19. Wrenched

Sounds like a really tight space to make work. Tiny, even. Is the house on wheels? Is it going to be inspected? There are a couple different things that can be done. First, the drain can be re-piped to look a little something more like http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/1623s.jpg Note the...
  20. Wrenched

Gas boiler using too much fuel

Hello Plucas82, Can you share the make and model of the boiler? Is it a hot water boiler or a steam boiler? Is this a heating boiler, or does it supply domestic hot water as well? Could you give us some pictures? The change in fuel usage suggest that there is an issue with the boiler, though...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks