Search results

1. Alleycat

Mystery vent in floor above crawl space

I posted this thread in the HVAC forum too, but thought someone here may have ideas too- We have a new-to-us log cabin in central Maine. It is 20 years old, built on a crawl space which has a plywood skirt around it, with blue foam insulation inside the crawl walls. No insulation under the...
  2. Alleycat

mystery vent in bathroom floor above crawl space

Greetings We have a new-to-us log cabin in central Maine. It is 20 years old, built on a crawl space which has a plywood skirt around it, with blue foam insulation inside the crawl walls. No insulation under the floor. The crawl is about 3 feet deep. All plumbing is in the right corner of...
  3. Alleycat

Should we insulate pipes in crawl space of seasonal camp

Greetings We are new owners of a vacation home / log cabin in central Maine. This first winter, we plan to visit once or twice a month, leaving the interior heat at about 50 degrees. The cabin is built on a 3 foot deep crawl space, with blue foam around the inside perimeter of the crawl...
  4. Alleycat

hot water clear, cold water brown

Greetings We have a well that is suddenly running brown from the cold taps but clear from the hot taps. Not sure if either of these are relevant, but (1) we are in the middle of a spring thaw with lots of melt on the ground, and (2) we had a 5 day power outage ending 5 days ago, during...
  5. Alleycat

Help buying a generator for power outages

Greetings After the last ice storm here in the Northeast, we are in the market for a generator. We had an electrician come out and install a Reliance transfer switch. Now, what do we buy to hook up to it.... Looks like these are the options: 1. Buy a propane-fueled generator. We...
  6. Alleycat

leak in hot water tank after power outage

Thanks for the reply Redwood - it will need replacing because of the corrosion and that is what is causing the water to seep out? The tank is only 4 years old. :mad:
  7. Alleycat

Here's more pictures. Maybe I was not describing the system correctly. We have oil heat/ hot water. The system is 4 years old. The leak came from the hot water tank (on the left in the first picture.) The third picture is the sticker on the tank. Water was dripping from the bottom of the...
  8. Alleycat

Here's a picture. Water was leaking from the base of the small disk on the top of the tank. It is oil fired.
  9. Alleycat

Greetings from the northeast's ice storm After 75 hours, we finally got power back this morning. As soon as the burner kicked on the hot water tank started to leak from the cap at the top of the tank. Husband took off the cap and tightened up the screws and the leak slowed to a drip...
  10. Alleycat

Smelly Water

izzy2, Using "a ton of fabric softener" could be contributing to your problem. Fabric softeners work by leaving a coating of chemicals on your clothes and towels so that they feel "soft." That coating can build up so much that it then prevents your towels from properly absorbing water...
  11. Alleycat

What A/C in new construction?

another thing to think about - where you locate the condenser. Ours is on the back patio and when the AC is on it's LOUD, making sitting on the patio pretty unpleasant (of course, if the AC is on it usually means sitting outside is unpleasant anyway, but....)
  12. Alleycat

mouse house in the furnace exhaust

Hello all. We went up to the in-laws' summer camp in central maine yesterday to open it up. We turned on the furnace (which runs on propane) and 2 or 3 minutes later I opened the front door and smelled a horrible burning smell. Shut off the furnace and found some fur just inside the exhaust...
  13. Alleycat

toilet color to match existing black jacuzzi tub...

I would not spend money on a toilet you don't like to match a jacuzzi you don't like, unless you plan to entertain very fashion-conscious guests in there and you're worried they will talk ;) Seriously, I would get a white toilet. What color is the sink? You could also do a whole black and...
  14. Alleycat

White or stainless steel sink?

Our white cast iron sink has stainless strainers so we've not had the paint chipping problem. As for stains: We have somewhat hard water with (I think) lots of manganese that leave yellowish stains on the white cast iron sink (it's a kohler). Every week or two when the stains build up I...
  15. Alleycat

White or stainless steel sink?

My old kitchen had a stainless steel sink and black appliances. My new kitchen has stainless appliances and a white cast iron sink. My sister, who is a slave to decorating fashion, has stainless sink, grey/white stove and white fridge. It never occurred to me to match the sink to the...
  16. Alleycat

snowblower meets well cap /:

The well cap was last week. This week, it's a big rubber chew toy the dog decided to play with during the storm and leave buried in the snow.
  17. Alleycat

snowblower meets well cap /:

It looks like the snowblower got a little too close to the well cover. The well cap has two good-sized nicks in it but they look to be very superficial wounds. We've noticed no problems with the water quality or pressure, so can we assume "all is well?" Is there any chance that something...
  18. Alleycat

insulation for attic stair unit?

I'm wanting to insulate the pull-down staircase going up to my attic. Are there companies/ stores where I can buy a pre-made/ fitted unit, or do I have to make my own? tia for any info
  19. Alleycat

Super Bowl, who is your favorite to win? 2008

I told my DH at the beginning of this season that Green Bay looked like they had it in them to go pretty far-- so I'm hoping for a Green Bay/ Pats Super Bowl Now, my only worry is how do I keep warm Sunday at the Pats/Chargers game, with the real feel temp at 4degrees????
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks