Search results

1. Mikey

Measuring developed length and fixture units

Hmmm. Any idea why they picked 5'? 8' makes sense, based on the Fig 25 shown in Post #2 above; but 5'? That would allow about a 3/8" slope.
  2. Mikey

Measuring developed length and fixture units

I'm converting from a tub/shower to a large (72" x 72") roll-in shower with 2 shower valves and heads -- one standup and one at a bench. The tub used a 1 1/2" drain, and the shower requires 2". But the existing tub drain to the stack can be easily replaced with 2" using the same routing. Two...
  3. Mikey

Best way to find out water hardness when on city water?

Not all municipal water suppliers report hardness. Get a test kit and you can test any water, any time: https://www.amazon.com/Hach-145300-Total-Hardness-Model/dp/B008FM7WLU/ref=asc_df_B008FM7WLU/
  4. Mikey

Water softener media expands and overflows tank after head removal

From the horse's (i.e., Pentair's) mouth: 10 x 54 ID 9.89" Liner thickness 0.100" Winding thickness 0.187"
  5. Mikey

I wasn't sure if 10" was the o.d. or i.d. I infer from your math that's it's the i.d., so I have met my learning requirement for today :).
  6. Mikey

So, you're saying in general you only fill to 2/3 of the net capacity?
  7. Mikey

Like I said, I don't know what the problem was, but the 1.5 cu ft carton definitely held more resin that I felt fit. Dittohead's chart shows 1.35 cu ft when allocating 50% for headroom. Another chart from WC&P Magazine shows 1.3cu ft:
  8. Mikey

I had a similar tank, and 1.5 cu ft was too much to leave the recommended headroom in the tank. Maybe the box was mislabeled, don't know what the problem was.
  9. Mikey

Water softener drain issues

Yeah, I'm with Reach4; it isn't your drain line. Don't know anything about the SoftPro, but most valves I'm familiar with use source water pressure to siphon brine from the brine tank. If the source flow deteriorates, the siphon fails. After doing its siphon thing, the source water goes to...
  10. Mikey

Water softener drain issues

When you tested it, did you disconnect the drain line before or after the check valve?
  11. Mikey

Chemical Injection Tee

What does your injector require? You can go with CPVC down to FPT in 1/2" or 3/4" with SS reinforcing collar, and from there use brass reducing bushings to (e.g.) 1/8". And if you're worried about future replacement, blow the extra $4 and buy 2 now.
  12. Mikey

Chemical Injection Tee

https://www.supplyhouse.com/CTS-CPVC-Fittings-18780000
  13. Mikey

Well Water Results - Need Recommendations Please

Only issue I see is pH, maybe. One f my naturalist doctor friends likes to see neutral or slightly alkaline, but also recommends Evian. Interesting article about Evian in Forbes...
  14. Mikey

Pentair big blue 4x20 filter change

I'm finding the same advice applies for furnace filters...
  15. Mikey

Water Softener Causing Excess Pressure Drop?

Might be easier to draw a sketch of the plumbing to get the big picture in front of you. Reach4's suggestion about adding a spigot immediately after the softener is a good one. Puzzling that the problem remains when everything is bypassed - I'd start by resolving that puzzle.
  16. Mikey

Stuck Moen Cartridge

I did misunderstand, and am now un-confused; thanks. Yeah, Moens need some TLC during their time in service. I tried to take one out of a valve after about 15 years with no TLC, a/t the homeowner, and we ultimately had to replace the valve - with another Moen, though, to re-use the trim - after...
  17. Mikey

Stuck Moen Cartridge

Now I'm confused. You tried to replace a Pfister cartridge ("My cartridge was from a Pfister brand") with a Moen 1222 ("We got a new Moen cartridge 1222")?
  18. Mikey

Purchasing a new softner, water test enclosed

Not your question, but I believe you should remove the chlorine before going into the softener; i.e., well->chlorination->settling tank->carbon->softener. I had a system like that in Florida (nasty water, Fleck valves) and was very happy with the result.
  19. Mikey

Water Softener Causing Excess Pressure Drop?

I had a similar problem eventually traced to an old gate valve that was only open a turn or 2, severely restricting flow. Replaced it with a ball valve.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks